Magnavox D8443 Power Blaster Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
OK, so, unlike most of my threads were I toil away for days, week, months and years before posting. I will be posting as I go, ignoring all reasonable suggestions and stumbling along making huge mistakes and costly repairs....

Now with the "Legal department" out of the way....here we go...

Many of you saw and commented on this thread "Questions about the Magnavox D8443" and saw that I planned a big project around it...

The radio I will be starting with is this one...

It's in average to good condition

20160314_132609.jpg20160314_132616.jpg20160314_132629_001.jpg

To begin with, the plan is to replace all speakers...

First, the stereo woofers with these Lucky / Lasonic 5.25" out of a TRC-918, 4 ohm
They are a little dirty, but that's ok.

20160314_132957.jpg

The center speaker will be replaced with a white Lasonic 8" 4 ohm from a 931 to be used as the sub.
I will be getting this speaker from member SLO when we get together at some point. If for any reason that doesn't work, I will purchase a "Subwoofer" specific speaker for this project.

The goals of this build are pretty straightforward...to make this thing HIT as hard as it looks. To make the center speaker act like and sound like a subwoofer.

That isn't going to be easy, from my subwoofer building experience, it can be hit or miss when it comes to enclosures, porting or sealed. The real subwoofer numbers for an 8" speaker are 0.93 cubic feet, using a 3 inch diameter port, 9 inches long. Even gutted, I'm not sure there is a cubic foot of space inside this radio.

One of my ideas....

The D8443 is very shallow, see it pictured here with the TRC-920

20160314_130048.jpg

So I thought, why not fatten it up a bit...and add a middle section be be part of a center enclosure to give me the interior space to comfortably achieve 1 cubic foot of subwoofer volume.

Added section.png

AMP POWER!

I have been using this little amp as a test mule for all kinds of projects.

Class D amp, 15 watts x2 or 30 watts mono'd with built in subwoofer bridging, 10v-18v DC power, headphone jack in and volume knob. $9.00 each, free shipping from China or $14.00 plus shipping from Parts Express on eBay

20160314_134721.jpg

Thinking of using 2, one mono'd for the sub, one in stereo for the woofers and tweeters.

Add Bluetooth and DONE!

Well, not really, because I want to keep some of the features on the unit like the FM, volume, bass, treble and I'll add a sub volume knob which, like everything else in my life will complicate the whole build!

But we will start with the sub enclosure and see if I can get the cabinet to hit like a 1989 Toyota Mini Truck!

HERE WE GO!

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
The mega build has begun!

Looking forward to seeing what you can achieve sonically with the inbuilt constraints of utilising a thin, plastic case as a resonance box.

You're definately the man to overcome these challenges and create an awesome piece of kit.

Good luck with the project Chris,

Show that Maggie who's boss!!

James.... :-)

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
<-----Pulls up at seat next to Mom. Share the popcorn please this is going to be a good one...

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Thanks everyone....I have a project on the workbench that I need to finish up and then I will open this thing up and have a look. I will see if I can get video of the process.

jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
The mega build has begun!

Looking forward to seeing what you can achieve sonically with the inbuilt constraints of utilising a thin, plastic case as a resonance box.

You're definately the man to overcome these challenges and create an awesome piece of kit.

Good luck with the project Chris,

Show that Maggie who's boss!!

James.... :-)
Thanks James. I maybe hitting you up for some technical information or part suggestions should I hit some walls since you have built some "From Scratch" blasters.

Radio-Active said:
Please sir, give me hope for my "sentimental box", I will always love my PowerPlayer. But it needs to be The One in my house again.
R.A., it's going to take some time to figure this out....lets "Hope" it can be done! :lol:

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Don't forget to put some real tweeters in there! :-P

I don't think those Lasonic speakers are capable of producing good mids, let alone highs. Those surrounds are just too soft. So if they can't produce good mids, then you should at least give it some highs, LOL.

Consider the TRC-920 for example, it doesn't produce very good mids IMHO. So if it didn't have good tweeters for the highs, that box would suck.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Reli said:
Don't forget to put some real tweeters in there! :-P

I don't think those Lasonic speakers are capable of producing good mids, let alone highs. Those surrounds are just too soft. So if they can't produce good mids, then you should at least give it some highs, LOL.

Consider the TRC-920 for example, it doesn't produce very good mids IMHO. So if it didn't have good tweeters for the highs, that box would suck.
100% on new tweeters, not sure what size can fit in there, but that is a must.

I'm not sure what will happen with these Lasonic speakers. You could be right. The 918 actual has good solid bass, but I might have to go with a mid range speaker. But since I have them and they are free, I will try them out.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
The sound of speakers has as much to do with the equalisation as it does with the cabinet dimensions and design. Neither of these previous parameters are applicable to this new installation.

Your Lasonic drivers (2) should work well as mids. The tweeter sensitivity (loudness) will be the tricky part as to balance with the dominating output of an 8 inch driver powered by its own mono amp.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Those Lasonic speakers have rolled surrounds, made of foam or cloth or something. And everytime I've had a box with those kind of surrounds, the mids weren't as good as my other boxes with regular paper cone edges. But, the bass will be good. :rock:

As for tweeters, anything will be better than those stock pizeos. Do they even produce any sound anymore?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Another thing that would look sick is if you painted all the little nooks & crannies between the speakers. While masking off the chrome pieces, of course.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Thanks everyone....I have a project on the workbench that I need to finish up and then I will open this thing up and have a look. I will see if I can get video of the process.
You're such a tease!!!! Start this thread but not starting to work on it???

TEASE!!!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
trippy1313 said:
You're such a tease!!!! Start this thread but not starting to work on it???

TEASE!!!
Yeah, this one will be a long and drawn out process...stay tuned.

restocat said:
Good luck! I have a working parts box , PM if you need anything.
Thanks brother, if I hit a wall I will hit you up!

kennerithmcguire

Member (SA)
Sep 30, 2015
Ajax, Ontario
What if you were to build the back half of the box out of mdf, In order to get the thickness/depth but used the back half of the case to skin the unit? Very similar to your design but it would allow for better acoustics plus keeping the original look and feel.

Using bondo, or fiberglass to blend the back to the front of the original case...in essence the inner box is made from wood slightly smaller than the actual casing.

Hope this makes sense, I love this kind of Mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.