How to unlock Pioneer SK 350 take up axle lock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Pioneer SK 350! What a beautiful little boombox!

I was working on a Pioneer SK 350 and found that the take up reel axle needs to be removed for belt replacement. This axle is attached to the flywheel cover plate.

Note: Pioneer made the cassette trays attached to the front part of the boombox cover so they are screw attached to the deck housing. In most cases one has to remove several hidden screws from the front to open the box. This one also got a hidden screw under the cassette tray. Once you remove the cassette tray out it is such a pain to reinstall it without breaking.

I love the deck of this unit except for this take up reel attachment to the flywheel cover plate.

Most axles got a 'C' clip lock on the top of the drive axles and this one has a split lock.

What is the best way to remove this split lock?

If I pull the drive axle out will it come out?

Please see the attached picture.

Attachments

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I've used a very very tiny flathead screwdriver to remove pulling up one of the split and sides and using a finger to hold it in place so it doesn't fly off

Bad Boy Bill

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
baddboybill said:
I've used a very very tiny flathead screwdriver to remove pulling up one of the split and sides and using a finger to hold it in place so it doesn't fly off

Bad Boy Bill
Thanks bro!

I will use a scotch tape over it when I pull it. :-D :yes:
It is a mess if one lose it. To me that is the scariest part.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Reminds me of another type....those are not split. Once you remove it that one becomes practically useless.

I taken those off and just pushed back on with needle nose end 😉

Bad Boy Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.