Sharp GF9797 tuner display and issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have a GF9797 radio that works only once in a blue moon.

When you press power button the display screen won't show any digits, sometimes it shows partial numbers. If you press it again it will go for clock selection, or part of a FM frequency display. But once in a while it starts scanning like usual and can auto scan and select a station.

Repeatedly by pressing the power on button if it is not working, if you unplug and lug it back after a min or two it might work normally in radio mode.

I cleaned all the switch contacts and this didn't help a bit. Cleaned the AC in plug/battery switch and showed no difference.

What is causing this issue? Any help regarding this issue greatly appreciated.

~Royce

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
toshik said:
Is it LED or EL display?
It is not an LED display.
It is the old fashioned black numbers on gray screen liquid crystal display with a less bright built in green bulb on the side to illuminate it.

It is a sweet sounding box. :drool: :drool:
Very nice tone! See the performance... :drool:

You can barely see the display screen in this video. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLN0mE6qJSU

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Royce that is one issue I would not want to deal with but I'm wondering if it's same issues like the Sanyo M9990 clock 🤔 I've seen a few posts for repair on those 👍

Bad Boy Bill

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
baddboybill said:
Royce that is one issue I would not want to deal with but I'm wondering if it's same issues like the Sanyo M9990 clock I've seen a few posts for repair on those

Bad Boy Bill
It works once in a while and if your turn it off then the display is inconsistent. It jumps back and forth and sometimes no display even.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
If the individual digits come and go, then you have a contact issue. On the Sanyo displays, there is a row of contacts within a strip of flexible rubberised material. This material is pushed against the board contacts. Over the past 30 years, this rubber strip gets a slight bend in it that lifts the contacts on one side slightly, thus causing this issue.

The fix I used on my M9990 & TRK-9150 was to straighten up the strip with strips of thin cardboard - this proved to be an easy and effective fix.

So you're going to have to pull it apart for a look-see.

James.... :-)

toshik

Member (SA)
Mar 1, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
If the individual digits come and go, then you have a contact issue. On the Sanyo displays, there is a row on contacts within a strip of flexible rubberised material. This material is pushed against the board contacts. Over the past 30 years, this rubber strip gets a slight bend in it that lifts the contacts on one side slightly, thus causing this issue.

The fix I used on my M9990 & TRK-9150 was to straighten up the strip with strips of this cardboard - this proved to be an easy and effective fix.

So you're going to have to pull it apart for a look-see.

James.... :-)
Yep! Straight to the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.