Vintage JVC tuner/amp Need info please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
Does anyone know if these are good components from JVC? I'm looking for a vintage HIFI set up and came across these for sale locally for $80. Does anyone know the specs? Seller says 100W per channel, is it BS?
Please let me know if it's a good buy.
Thanks
Paul Z.

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
You could take some small speakers and maybe a little FM antenna and try this stuff out before you buy it... Plug the speakers into the amp and hook the tuner up to the amp (in Tuner, Tape, Aux and such.. but not phono) and make sure you mess with the the balance knob and those eq's.

The wattage output shouldn't matter that much, but it does looke substantial enough to be in that 70-100 watt range. I've seen 50 watt Sansui gear that pushes sound better than many other mfr's 100 watt gear. I'm sure that will push whatever speakers you have quite adequately, assuming it works.

$80 seems like a pretty fair price for a vintage integrated amp and tuner. I'm thinking that if the pair works as advertised, it might go for double or triple that price on ebay, Clean it up, dexoit the knobs and switches, take better pics and give it a good write up and you could make some dough. Old-school amps with analog VU meters from reputable manufacturers seem to be going for a bit of a premium on ebay as of late. And the silver facia on that makes me think its from the late 70's or early 80s. The built-in EQ is actually a really cool feature. My Sansui AU-D77X has that as well, awesome to have built in!

Go on ebay and do separate searches for "JVC integrated amplifier" and "JVC Tuner" and see what they go for there? Maybe somebody there has the specs for you to review? Or you'll find info on other gear from that same producdt line. Surely there's some info out there for you to find.

I did some pecking around ebay and did not find a JVC amp like that one, but I found a tuner with close resemblance... like maybe the one in your pic is a step down from this one as its missing some buttons (probably the output control and the test-tone generator) : http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-JT-V77-Tune...|66:4|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:200

Also, you might want to try a search for JVC integrated amplifier on http://www.audiokarma.org and see what pops up there...

For $80 though, I'd go check to see if it works. And if it looks better in person that it does in the pics and it works, then I'd probably buy it.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
I agree with jaetee. Definitely go and check it out. Once you're there, then see if the guy will take a little less. It doesn't hurt to ask. :-)

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
model numbers and you can find the exact wattage for sure.
to me it does look like that intergrated amp is one of the pre super a class amps. the jvc stuff from back then is decent,but honestly i would try to find one of there intergrated silver super class a amps if i was going to go with jvc.
they run hot but man do they ever sound good.
i cannot be sure without seeing the model numbers but that intergrated looks a hell of a lot like a 50wpc chanell amp jvc put out back in the day. i also am not entirely sure but the tuner looks like a three gang tuner they put out.
four or five gangs is better the more gangs the better the sound you usually get out of a tuner.
if these items are mint the price isnt bad for the two of them even if it is a fifty watt per channel amp.
if will still get pretty loud and if you were lucky to find some old vintage advent large loudspeakers it would make a nice retro system.
if it is actually a hundred watt per channel amp then i would say its a acore.
jvc hifi stuff is pretty nice. there is a lot of cooler stuff from that era but it most likely is going to cost you more money.
and i do agree with the statement its not always about wattage. i have a fairly low wattage sansui intergrated au555a that well sounds pretty wonderful through some nice old epi 1 speakers i got for next to nothing.
that little system well drops jaws when people hear it and if i remember correctly its only 25 wpc,but paired with the right speakers it sounds better than a lot of higher wattage amps.
nice rig for eighty bucks tho.
i would most likely skip the tuner unless it was four gangs tho and try to just grab the amp and keep my eyes out for a four or five gang tuner. they do sound a lot nicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.