• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 neanderthal

neanderthal
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:44 AM

Hi Guys. New here.

Looking for the Sharp WF-T380E. I used to have one back in the day. Found one on Shpock (an app, for garage sale stuff) but it's in England and dude won't ship to the US.

Tried to get my cousin to buy it for me but the contact information is no longer there.

It's not a classic boombox like the ones most of you rock, but it's what I had and it's what I want.

Thanks for any pointers, leads or help.

neanderthal

Los Angeles

#2 howie1976

howie1976
  • Members
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:22 AM

Hey, welcome to Boomboxery. Sorry I dont know much about that box but there are a few of us collectors here in SoCal and I'll ask around. I noticed you are in LA. Hopefully you can become active in the local boombox scene here. Good luck finding your personal grail!

#3 neanderthal

neanderthal
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:06 AM

Found one in Spain. Hopefully I don't get a box of rocks

#4 neanderthal

neanderthal
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:04 AM

The waiting is the hardest part.

It's been 20 days and the status hasn't changed on my package from Spain. I emailed the seller and he said that is common; a long period of nothing then suddenly the status changes and a few days later the package arrives.

I got impatient and ended up buying a Hitachi 3D88 which should get here in three days from Canada. I had it shipped to my cousin, who I instructed to wrap it in plastic, then put it in a big box surrounded by packing peanuts. I think she just put the package as it came to her house, in the bigger box and stuffed that with packing peanuts.

Anyway, I'll be hoping to do a bluetooth mod and connect the bluetooth thing to the aux input. That seems to make the most sense to me. Perhaps use the beat cancel to switch between AUX IN and bluetooth.

We will see.

Oh, ordered an instuction manual and that arrived today as well.

Psyched. But waiting.

#5 BoomboxTaff

BoomboxTaff
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:34 PM

is the instruction manual for the 3d88 and where did you get it as i am looking. The sharp is a good box, loads of power and good sound from it too. i saw a nos one inbox on youtube. don't know if the video is still up.

#6 neanderthal

neanderthal
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:13 PM

The manual was for the Sharp.

#7 BoomboxTaff

BoomboxTaff
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:43 AM

well done on getting one, not easy to get.

#8 neanderthal

neanderthal
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:52 PM

They're on ebay mate. Make sure you search "worldwide."

#9 neanderthal

neanderthal
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:53 PM

So, it finally arrived. Eight weeks, thanks to US Customs.
Anyway, the box looked like it had been through hell and I was worried that the contents would be damaged. Fortunately, they weren't.

Unboxed it, hooked it up, got my travel adapters out and found the US to Euro one, plugged it in and oops, ripped out the cord and checked to make sure the voltage switch was in the correct position. It wasn't.

Remedied that and tried it again. It hummed on, and as I moved the volume and equaliser sliders around it made awful scratchy sounds. So I guess a ton of canned air, screwdrivers and Deoxit are in my future.

But, once I connected my tablet to the AUX IN, I was able to play, at a really low volume, some music.

As it warmed up it sounded a bit stronger.

The 3D80 sounds better than this one so far.

Just glad to have it. Need to enjoy it before i get all bluetoothy on it.

Took pics with my phone but it died. It's charging now but won't turn on.

#10 neanderthal

neanderthal
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:38 AM

Left it on all night, playing at a really low volume, and woke it up this morning with some Soul II Soul.

Yup, it's the proper little Satan I well remember it being. Neighbours all partook in "Keep On Moving" with me.

#11 neanderthal

neanderthal
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:55 PM

Was lucky to find another one. Bought it for my brother. We used to share one back when we were teens, but now he can have his own. Or I can have my own.

Hopefully coming from Canada won't take eight weeks like Spain.

#12 neanderthal

neanderthal
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:56 PM

On a whim I bid on a Japanese WQ-T73 CD and won. It was cheap, the shipping wasn't.

I should have read the description, it needed work, lots of it, (speaker refoaming, one channel is weaker than the other, both cassettes don't although one moves momentarily then stops, CD doesn't play although it does spin in scan mode, radio is just fine, AUX works (all I care about) although there is a loud humming sound, though that could be the speakers. Or from the transformer. ) and I don't have the time or the knowledge. Dropped it off at a shop in Highland Park for a basic cleaning and assessment earlier today. And had a great burger at Highland Cafe.

So now i have my Hitachi 3D80, the Sharp WF-T380E and my grail, the Sharp WQ-T 73 CD. I'm done with my collection. I want an M90, but I don't need one. I'm more of a late 80s/ early 90s dude.

#13 neanderthal

neanderthal
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

Got the WQ-T 73 CD sorted. CD couldn't be fixed but I hardly play music on cds anyway. It's mostly the bluetooth mod that was done that this post is about.

Speakers were refoamed and it sounds gooooooooooood!

A nice thumpiful bass and good highs. I dare not play it at full volume as it's Japanese and therefore 100V not 120V. Besides, I do consider my neighbors some. The digital spectrum analyser is mesmerising to watch.

There is a bit of a hum that emanates from the unit, which I ascribe to the voltage, I guess i'll get a transformer to play this one on.