GF 9696 auto stop malfunction after changing pinch roller!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I changed the hard pinch roller on my 9696 and replaced it with a new one.
I did it by taking apart the two white levers one bu one out to reach for the black pinch roller assembly.

I used a metal tie on the spring clip / lock this time not to lose it and look all over the room on my knees. I was lucky! I didn't lose any unidentified flying parts. :-D

I could easily push the pin out and put a new roller.

Now coming to the problem. :blush:

Okay, I had to remove completely the top white lever which moved with the stop button. I partially only took the top of the lower/underneath (one sits over the other) white lever mechanism which in turn it connected to a cam under the large white gear wheel. The tip of this cam mechanism opens up and glide under the take up reel 4 pivots. i couldn't understand what this does. This cam with the white lever mechanism is in motion during play back.

I put all back together and now I hear the click for auto stop but the deck won't stop but keep on running.

:bang: :bang:

On this 9696 I didn't understand well on how auto stop is activated. I need to see a pic of this mechanism and know the details to fix the issue. The deck has all new belts. The rew and FF slips and don't move well. This is something I have to fix too.

With slow Rew and FF auto stop was working well.

Now all I hear is the click. After 5 hours of struggle when my neck started to ache I left it aside.

Any help or suggestions on fixing the auto stop is greatly appreciated.

The last pic shows the second white plastic part assembly I only pulled the top part from the white axle and lift a bit to slide the black pinch roller assembly out. After putting the pinch roller assembly back. I had to pull this same white plastic part assembly slightly up to get to fit it to the axle.

Attachments

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
The slow running FFWD and rew is a fault I've never seen in a 9696 deck with new belts. Is the tyre that runs on the underside of the flywheel engaging properly? I I know you have to move the white lever the tyre attaches to to allow the flywheel to fully seat.

The FFWD and rew mechanism is just plastic gears so a dislodged or slipping tyre has to be the cause. I think the auto stop issue maybe related.

I'd check that tyre and see how it is running against the underside of the flywheel first.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hi Jimmy, I will follow your advice and work on it soon. Thanks for your help!

The auto stop was working till I changed the pinch roller. So I believe something went wrong there too.

nikonfoo

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
not sure about the auto stop problem
I will have another look at mine
does the pause work normaly
FF/REW
As Jimmy said the drive wheel that runs of the capstan on the back is probably the problem
I have had one were there was a crack in the plastic so it didnt grip to the center pin strong enough
and slipped
But give the tyre a good clean

nikonfoo

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
ok i pulled mine out and had a play
the top white one is on a pin that connects to the selodoid (sorry how do you call it ) on the back
in your photo bottom of the top white arm seems to far from the bottom big cog
is it on the pin at the top properly

more photos
IMG_2342.JPGIMG_2343.JPG

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hi Geoff,

Wow! Very good suggestion! :yes: That makes perfect sense. I hear the click but no action. This could be it.

That top white one has to more activate stop. It could be away from the pin connected to the solenoid.

Let me open up the unit! I think this may be the issue!

I am not sure it is on that pin. This could be it...

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
The main wheel tire for the FF, REW and all hardened up. It is not catching after a good cleaning and I could see it slipping on the flywheel which accounts for the REW and FF slippage.

Eventually I have to change that rubber tire.

James and Geoff,
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thanks guys for the help and advice! :yes: :yes: :yes: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I believe this link will help folks who run into problem with pinch roller replacement.

There is a short cut to change the pinch roller by using a pin and push the steel axle / pin from the pinch roller. I didn't want to do that because you can lose the pin inside the deck and also damage the plastic.

I followed the right way but missed the linking pin for auto stop under the lever. It appeared like it was there but was not there in the right slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.