Crown vs. Lasonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okelly

Member (SA)
Aug 23, 2015
Just curious of which one has better sound, Crown SZ 5100 or Lasonic TRC 931? I'm looking for another box and enjoy the way both of these boxes look but also want the sound to be really good too.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Retro Addict

Member (SA)
May 12, 2009
England
I understand the Lasonic is leaps and bounds ahead of the Crown and Unisef look-alikes in build and sound quality. I have heard a Lasonic TRC-931... a pretty good sounding machine.

THAFUZZ

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Midwest, USA
Retro Addict said:
No holding back eh, Arron! :lol:
:-D I've never had the opportunity of listening to a Unicef or Crown (other than My CSC-850). The TRC-931 foam edged woofers have has always aided it with a good bassy sound.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
JustCruisin said:
You don't remember..? It got deleted.. He had a Crown/Unisef, and was saying Lasonics build quality was shiat..
I do. But i think everyone that has responded in this thread has heard both.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Crown was a weird brand. There's some absolute crap, and some absolute winners. I'm pretty sure they outsourced most of their boomboxes to other manufacturers.

Okelly

Member (SA)
Aug 23, 2015
Sounds like it's overwhelming the Lasonic 931...now, is there a major difference in versions (year made)? I have noticed differences in box corners being rounded, led light placements and control layout on newer boxes.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Zippy

Member (SA)
Sep 21, 2010
Hannover, Germany
By the way, the same goes for the Unisef model and all its akas which are inspired by the 931 and are very similar to the SZ-5100. They are rather far away from the 931.

There's a thread about the different Lasonic 931 generations. I have heard that the third gen (rounded corners) supposedly sounds a little weaker than the previous generations. I can't say if it's true, though.

Reli said:
Crown was a weird brand. There's some absolute crap, and some absolute winners. I'm pretty sure they outsourced most of their boomboxes to other manufacturers.
I totally agree. Many earlier models are pretty solid and great boomboxes but the later ones just don't do it.

THAFUZZ

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Midwest, USA
I think I read here that all the 931 editions still used the same exact woofers (watts/ohms), but not too sure if power sources within changed along the way.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I think I read here that all the 931 editions still used the same exact woofers (watts/ohms), but not too sure if power sources within changed along the way.

I know that the 1st & 2nd Gen along with the i931 use the exact same woofers, not sure about the 3rd gen. That info came from Albert at Lasonic.

Sadly, I still don't own a classic 931 and have never heard the Crown or Unisef

Status
Not open for further replies.