Sanyo 'line-in' vs AUX in ? MT4290.

Status
Not open for further replies.

markoneswift

Member (SA)
Dec 11, 2015
Aotearoa New Zealand
Hey all,

Exactly what is the difference between line-in and AUX in ? My timewarp MT4290 has line-in but if I try my Ipod headphone output through it I get nothing. Am I right in thinking that amplified headphone output is different to line output (seem to remember something about that from years back).

The Sanyo only has TV, Tape(OFF) and Radio selector positions too so how the hell would I get a line input into it ?

Any advice most welcome, cheers !

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
It doesn't matter whether it's called Aux or Line. What matters is how they attenuate the signal. Some boxes need a pre-amp because the signal is too weak.

If your box doesn't have a Line In switch, then try it on Radio, there are some boxes that automatically stop the radio when you insert the cables. If that doesn't work, put it on Tape and insert a blank tape and press Record.

markoneswift

Member (SA)
Dec 11, 2015
Aotearoa New Zealand
Reli said:
It doesn't matter whether it's called Aux or Line. What matters is how they attenuate the signal. Some boxes need a pre-amp because the signal is too weak.

If your box doesn't have a Line In switch, then try it on Radio, there are some boxes that automatically stop the radio when you insert the cables. If that doesn't work, put it on Tape and insert a blank tape and press Record.
Yep, that got it ! Pressed the record tab down with my finger then pressed PLAY and REC whilst playing from Ipod and it sounded great :-)

ralrein1

Member (SA)
Hi markoneswift,I have the same thing on my Magnavox D8300.I recommend taking a cheap blank cassette tape like a Maxwell UR60.Take the little screws out and "gut"the actual tape from the reels.Then put them back in(reels)the cassette tape body screw it back together and use it in the tape deck just like your Sanyo.Press record and play CDs and other devices through it.Just remember to use a new tape that has not had the record tabs punched out.Without the actual tape inside the cassette body you don't have to worry about the tape running out,it just spins and spins.Hope this helps you out.☺

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
You can also prevent the motor from running by inserting a plug into the Mic and Remote jacks, if it has them. It will short out the tape deck and prevent it from running.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Another tip is you can keep the motor from running while rec/play are pushed by also pushing the pause button if your boombox has that.

markoneswift

Member (SA)
Dec 11, 2015
Aotearoa New Zealand
Awesome tips, thanks guys. I'd already sussed the pause technique last night but the idea of using an 'empty' tape is a good one. I can use any tape housing though because all it would need is a bit of sticky tape over the record holes to fool the mechanism :-)

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
Reli said:
You can also prevent the motor from running by inserting a plug into the Mic and Remote jacks, if it has them. It will short out the tape deck and prevent it from running.
If this isn't work, you can mount on back cover little switch to turn on or off motor.
You must cut one of wires (+ 12 V) to the motor and connect to this switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.