Panasonic RX-C36L - Gettin' Down On It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Sourced on eBay UK, this tidy little BB cost me the grand total of £0.99p plus £5.60 P+P so I couldn't give it a miss even though the description was a little short on words: "......The radio works and the tape will rewind and fastforward but struggles to play"..... was just about all I had to go on!

The BB as was listed:
c36listed.jpg

Not the most shiny of presentations but, at £0.99p, I didn't care. Once it arrived I discovered why it wasn't shining all spic & span: It was covered in a layer of grease or fat so it'd obviously spent quite some time on Kitchen Detail. Appearance showed fading to some of the lettering but the rest appeared nice and tidy, intact and complete apart from a wandering RCA Line In 'fitting'. Good enough so far.

"Open Sesame!"
DSCF1011.JPG

DSCF0953.JPG

'Kitchen Detail' was obviously been Curry Powder Fight Kitchen Detail!!! Yuk!
DSCF0979.JPG

DSCF0931.JPG

Enough pics of that little lot. The powder hadn't penetrated too far but had stuck to the grease/fat somewhat and gotten into the slider pots. Luckily, the grease/fat was only light inside and limited to just inside the casing and speakers so the clean-up wasn't a big job, just a little tacky and not taking too long.

After cleaning off the grease and curry powder the next task was the sliders. I couldn't apply lube directly to the pots without it forming into a curry paste so this was unavoidable. With great care I removed all five equaliser sliders without a hitch as I knew (from this forum) that these are very delicate & fragile. Into a small tray they went - just as my cat leapt onto the table landing with one heavy paw in the tray - YIKES!

So, this was the result and now a bigger, more intricate job than first expected:
DSCF0981.JPG

DSCF0993.JPG

I started with the least damaged, to hone my skills, using wooden toothpicks (no slip), pins, needles and a magnifier. Dear me, there's some patience need with this job! It took me several hours over a couple of days to get the best results.
DSCF0999.JPG

DSCF1041.JPG

DSCF0992.JPG

The worst ones needed a little imagination to provide a decent amount of additional support as the pins were quite damaged. I did the best job I could manage and feel confident the result was around.......98% successful and once they were done I needed a rest, that was one heck of a fiddly job I have no wish to repeat!

Next job: A broken leaf switch on the cassette deck. I didn't even know it was called a leaf switch never mind how to fix it so I started a topic:
Broken Leaf Switch On Panasonic - Doner Part From Sharp?
as I needed some expert advice from forum members - which was given without hesitation so BIG thanks to jimmyjimmy19702010 & baddboybill for their help with this.

The problem:
A plastic clip had broken off the fixing clip.
DSCF0963.JPG

View attachment 23399

I had an identical spare in good condition from a Sharp QT250 doner box. Side by side, doner part on left:
View attachment 23398

This also turned into a fiddly little job, having to remove the damaged part then re-solder the doner part in its place. A pain in the neck but I got there after a while and, although I'll win no awards for soldering skills, I think the result was satisfactory at the very least:
View attachment 23400

RCA Line In port was loose so this was another new job for me to tackle, there was a broken clip and the soldered joints had failed. Again, fiddly so I'll let the picture do most of the talking - 'cos I like lots of pics!:
View attachment 23401

Salvage a hook from a doner box and cut/shape/file to fit. A: good clip, B: broken clip, C: doner part:
DSCF1015.jpg

DSCF1019.JPG

DSCF1012.JPG

I've now learned just how difficult it is to make sure all soldered joints are kept apart, they're really close together with little room for error.

DSCF1025.JPG

Job done:
View attachment 23406

Now for the final task: noisy/clattery cassette deck when in 'Play' mode, noise free on 'FF' & 'Cue' mode. I replaced the belts and cleaned/lubed as much as I could access and found the noise to be much reduce but I can still hear the noise above playback. I spent quite a while try to isolate the problem from within all the moving parts and a worn cog is the result of my findings:
DSCF1048.JPG

The very small amount of lateral movement has resulted in uneven wear on the white cog, this is slipping and causing the noise.
DSCF1058.JPG

I have no spare for this as yet so I'll be leaving this final job until I acquire a spare. I've removed the refitted the counterpart from the Sharp doner box which is the same size but lacks the cog detail on the narrow part of the cog wheel. Not a difficult job at all so all in good time. Now the box is re-assembled I've found the centre equaliser pot is a tiny -tiny - bit less responsive in the output range on the left channel but very difficult to detect unless you look for it. Nonetheless, it's there.

So then, How was it for me? Not bad at all! I learned more about BB's, practiced & improved my skills - and learned a hard lesson in patience! Visually, the wear on the lettering is a bit of a let down but doesn't appear as bad in reality as it does in the images. I like this box. I's compact, tidy, well laid out and sounds good for a small box. Best of all: at £0.99p I can't fault the price! I'll be keeping my eye out for more models in this range - at least I'll be OK for spares at the very least!

Ooops - almost forgot:
View attachment 23411

DSCF1068.JPG

View attachment 23414

View attachment 23413

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
I knew I'd forget something!

The speakers on this BB are ecactly the same size, pattern and specification as the ones I need for my Sharp GF-A2H(BRR (see topic here) so, even if this box was a total write off I'd have saved around £35-£40 costs for new speakers! it's a win-win for me! :yes: :-D

ralrein1

Member (SA)
Well I for one think you did a very nice job.Boy o boy,cats huh?Gotta love'em anyway.Oh and thanks for all the great pictures.Very nice thread,hope this Panny works a long time for you after all you've done for it.So now that the Panny cleaned up so nicely.What ya gonna do about replacement woofers for the Sharp?Gosh I guess you got to go find another boombox.Darn it all!Ha,ha,ha.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Thanks, ralrein1. That's the plan, acquire another at a knock-down price very soon. The RX-C range make frequent appearances on eBay with few takers so it shouldn't be too long a wait although noisy tape decks seem to be a rather common feature noted. If it's the same component failure then I'll be getting nowhere fast for a replacement part BUT - I'll have a set of replacement speakers at a great saving! It's a bit of a gamble although a cheap one at that. :-)

Another couple of pics for you, this time in the company of my Sharp QT-37:

DSCF1087.JPG

DSCF1086.JPG

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Nice resto!!!!!! She came up like new - very well done. Seeing you're on a RX-C roll, keep an eye out for a RX-C45 - that's the one to get!
They chase more than £0.99 though! :-)

James... :-)
image.jpeg
Many thanks again, jimmyjimmy19702010!

There's only one listed here in eBay UK at the moment , I've noticed that, the higher the model number, the less they're put into auction. This is the second time this one is listed, I watched it last time and forgot to bid but at least there's a BIN or Offer choice. I'm hesitant because the listing states:

"In good condition with lovely sound and looks. Also has good connectivity through phono, DIN inputs and earth connection on rear of cabinet. Tape operation can be unpredictable as head alignment may need adjustment."

I don't know if the lister is making a wild guess or not regarding the condition! I'm hoping it won't be snapped up by someone else just yet 'cos I've got my eye on another three, more expensive, boxes at the moment are funds are tight. My, Oh My - what to do, eh?! 'spose I could put in a cheeky offer 'cos nothing ventured, nothing gained! AND..................there's a good chance this'll have MY replacement speakers as well so what's to lose?! :hmmm:

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
BIN is £25.00 and I've just offered £18.00 - am I farkin' mad??? I should have gone for the BIN! (It's starting to get a little warm 'ere now so.............I just may go the BIN!) Aaarghh - decisions, decisions! :bang:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Nice resto!!!!!! She came up like new - very well done. Seeing you're on a RX-C roll, keep an eye out for a RX-C45 - that's the one to get!

image.jpeg
one of my favorite boxes . these sound awesome on line in as well . these get pretty damn loud and sound great.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
MyOhMy said:
Sourced on eBay UK, this tidy little BB cost me the grand total of £0.99p plus £5.60 P+P so I couldn't give it a miss even though the description was a little short on words: "......The radio works and the tape will rewind and fastforward but struggles to play"..... was just about all I had to go on!

The BB as was listed:
c36listed.jpg

Not the most shiny of presentations but, at £0.99p, I didn't care. Once it arrived I discovered why it wasn't shining all spic & span: It was covered in a layer of grease or fat so it'd obviously spent quite some time on Kitchen Detail. Appearance showed fading to some of the lettering but the rest appeared nice and tidy, intact and complete apart from a wandering RCA Line In 'fitting'. Good enough so far.

"Open Sesame!"
DSCF1011.JPG

DSCF0953.JPG

'Kitchen Detail' was obviously been Curry Powder Fight Kitchen Detail!!! Yuk!
DSCF0979.JPG

DSCF0931.JPG

Enough pics of that little lot. The powder hadn't penetrated too far but had stuck to the grease/fat somewhat and gotten into the slider pots. Luckily, the grease/fat was only light inside and limited to just inside the casing and speakers so the clean-up wasn't a big job, just a little tacky and not taking too long.

After cleaning off the grease and curry powder the next task was the sliders. I couldn't apply lube directly to the pots without it forming into a curry paste so this was unavoidable. With great care I removed all five equaliser sliders without a hitch as I knew (from this forum) that these are very delicate & fragile. Into a small tray they went - just as my cat leapt onto the table landing with one heavy paw in the tray - YIKES!

So, this was the result and now a bigger, more intricate job than first expected:
DSCF0981.JPG

DSCF0993.JPG

I started with the least damaged, to hone my skills, using wooden toothpicks (no slip), pins, needles and a magnifier. Dear me, there's some patience need with this job! It took me several hours over a couple of days to get the best results.
DSCF0999.JPG

DSCF1041.JPG

DSCF0992.JPG

The worst ones needed a little imagination to provide a decent amount of additional support as the pins were quite damaged. I did the best job I could manage and feel confident the result was around.......98% successful and once they were done I needed a rest, that was one heck of a fiddly job I have no wish to repeat!

Next job: A broken leaf switch on the cassette deck. I didn't even know it was called a leaf switch never mind how to fix it so I started a topic:
Broken Leaf Switch On Panasonic - Doner Part From Sharp?
as I needed some expert advice from forum members - which was given without hesitation so BIG thanks to jimmyjimmy19702010 & baddboybill for their help with this.

The problem:
A plastic clip had broken off the fixing clip.
DSCF0963.JPG

DSCF0970.JPG

I had an identical spare in good condition from a Sharp QT250 doner box. Side by side, doner part on left:
DSCF0972.JPG

This also turned into a fiddly little job, having to remove the damaged part then re-solder the doner part in its place. A pain in the neck but I got there after a while and, although I'll win no awards for soldering skills, I think the result was satisfactory at the very least:
DSCF1039.JPG

RCA Line In port was loose so this was another new job for me to tackle, there was a broken clip and the soldered joints had failed. Again, fiddly so I'll let the picture do most of the talking - 'cos I like lots of pics!:
DSCF1012.JPG

Salvage a hook from a doner box and cut/shape/file to fit. A: good clip, B: broken clip, C: doner part:
DSCF1015.jpg

DSCF1019.JPG

DSCF1012.JPG

I've now learned just how difficult it is to make sure all soldered joints are kept apart, they're really close together with little room for error.

DSCF1025.JPG

Job done:
DSCF1027.JPG

Now for the final task: noisy/clattery cassette deck when in 'Play' mode, noise free on 'FF' & 'Cue' mode. I replaced the belts and cleaned/lubed as much as I could access and found the noise to be much reduce but I can still hear the noise above playback. I spent quite a while try to isolate the problem from within all the moving parts and a worn cog is the result of my findings:
DSCF1048.JPG

The very small amount of lateral movement has resulted in uneven wear on the white cog, this is slipping and causing the noise.
DSCF1058.JPG

I have no spare for this as yet so I'll be leaving this final job until I acquire a spare. I've removed the refitted the counterpart from the Sharp doner box which is the same size but lacks the cog detail on the narrow part of the cog wheel. Not a difficult job at all so all in good time. Now the box is re-assembled I've found the centre equaliser pot is a tiny -tiny - bit less responsive in the output range on the left channel but very difficult to detect unless you look for it. Nonetheless, it's there.

So then, How was it for me? Not bad at all! I learned more about BB's, practiced & improved my skills - and learned a hard lesson in patience! Visually, the wear on the lettering is a bit of a let down but doesn't appear as bad in reality as it does in the images. I like this box. I's compact, tidy, well laid out and sounds good for a small box. Best of all: at £0.99p I can't fault the price! I'll be keeping my eye out for more models in this range - at least I'll be OK for spares at the very least!

Ooops - almost forgot:
DSCF1067.JPG

DSCF1068.JPG

DSCF1071.JPG

DSCF1074.JPG
that's a great job you did!.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Thanks, JVC Floyd. I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that a lot of time, money and effort was put into the design, production & distribution of this box - only for a tiny bit of plastic to scupper all the hard work - and I refuse to accept it's 30+ years old! *stamps feet*

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
i don't think i ever bought a piece of modern stereo equipment aside from car stereo and even all that is from the 90's , i can honestly say that there's nothing new i want , everything i like is vintage . except my tv and computer those are the only modern things i have .

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
JVC Floyd said:
i don't think i ever bought a piece of modern stereo equipment aside from car stereo and even all that is from the 90's , i can honestly say that there's nothing new i want , everything i like is vintage . except my tv and computer those are the only modern things i have .
I feel very much the same. Newer 'stuff' isn't as robust as the ol' chunky, mechanical items of yesteryear and.............there's hardly anything to see these days! I wish I'd never sold off my album & cassette collection when I 'switched over' but I now acknowledge that I'm suffering from Acute Boomboxia - and it isn't going to stop at bb's!

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Many thanks, blu_fuz! Apart from the greasy grime & powder it wasn't too bad, mainly little finicky bits needing patience. It wasn't like I had to do a total strip-down to the tiniest components like some of you Unsung Boombox Heroes do, seemingly on a daily basis whilst blindfolded! It'll be one step at a time with me, constantly viewing vids on YouTube such as "The Complete Idiots Guide To Soldering A Joint"! :yes:

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Wow Mom you are really building skills at a rapid rate, well done on this top job!

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:

image.jpeg
I've just returned the RX-C45 on eBay I mentioned in posts 6 & 8 and paid £20.00 for it so that's done. With luck it'll be an easy fix & clean. I'm also awaiting deliveries of a (forlorn looking) Sharp QT-90E and a decent looking JVC RC-828LB to add to my expanding collection. I knew this would happen!!! :blink: :-)

T-STER said:
Wow Mom you are really building skills at a rapid rate, well done on this top job!
Thanks, T-STER. It's a slow process 'cos I'm not at it all the time (Ooo-er, misses!!!) but my confidence grows with each job although I do find it a tad frustrating when I need a basic part as I haven't got years of accumulated spares in reserve (yet?).

One day, perhaps................

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Wow, what a repair!
It's amazing how little tiny issues can build up and collectively bring down a box. All those problems together can cause most people to just pitch it into the trash. But if you methodically go through each issue one at a time, you can end up with a really nice unit for mere pennies!

Just amazing the work you are doing. The detail your willing to go for really brings out the best of your collection.

Now, if you can just fight back the onslaught of kitty cats you'll have it made in the shade!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Wow, you rock. So impressed with the repairs you go for so early in your boombox collecting career...top work! You'll love the 828 when you get it...it's a beautiful and great sounding machine. Saw that one on eBay and was tempted even tho I have a minter because it was going stupidly cheap...glad you grabbed it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.