Bush BR 5902 B - No Big Deal, Easy Job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
I recently acquired a Bush BR 5902 B at a very low price, advertised as GWO & clean but................it wasn't. It almost was except for a layer of light dirt with a dash of grimey crevices, fluff inside speaker grills, tuner window adrift, crackling controls and tape deck not working but, at the price I paid I couldn't complain as it was a snip at about £15! Underneath it looked almost new, I'd say close to 99% so it must have kept it's slippers on but elsewhere on the outside there were a few quite minor scuffs and a mark on the tuner window. It's not a Major League box but this handsome chap will serve well in my kitchen.

The Culprit:
DSCF0748.JPG

After removing the rear case screws I had a problem trying to remove other sections of the four-part case as the were no more screws remaining to remove. Sneaky ol' Bush has designed hidden clips to find and release in the correct order, this alone took about an hour to figure out but I got there in the end - next time it'll be a one minute job.

Stripped down to major component parts:
DSCF0833.JPG

The box was surprisingly clean inside although there was just a little easy-to-remove fluff in the areas under the top panel controls, I think it had been kept in a box in granny's cupboard for the last 30 years! Tape counter belt and main belt both looked in good order but I think all the moving parts suffered from a touch of arthritis so a clean and re-lubrication was swiftly carried out. I also think someone had recently changed the belts but had screwed the flywheel cover plate down to the point it held the flywheel with a vice-like grip impairing free movement. However, now sorted.

Two views of the tape deck:
DSCF0817.JPG

DSCF0780.JPG

So, all in all a good result after a wash behind the ears, a little refreshment and a good cheer-up, everything works just as it should and it now 'looks very young for it's age'! A Grail Box this is not but it sounds good and does exactly what it's supposed to do so I'm happy with this. I particularly like the 'off silver' colour with the nicely contrasting black, it makes a welcome change from silver.

On the downside, it's a 'tone' box, no RCA Line In and headphone socket in the rear - but it'll be just fine singing to me in my kitchen. Total time spent was about three hours although next time (!) it'll be so much quicker now I've worked out the ol' 'hidden catches routine'!

DSCF0753.JPG

DSCF0837.JPG

DSCF0838.JPG

DSCF0836.JPG

DSCF0835.JPG

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Hisrudeness said:
Well done Christine.
Nice little find.
Thank you, Sir! I'm very pleased with it - it's kinda cute looking in it's own little macho way.

Hisrudeness said:
Just noticed where the tweeters are!
Aye, a bit upside down - maybe it's so the mice can benefit?!

stereomad said:
My kind of women......good job ;)
Thanks, stereomad, I wasn't sure what I'd have to deal with once I'd opened it up but it turned out relatively easy (apart from the pesky hidden clips!).

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Nice find Mom, I think it looks very handsome with its mic and tweeter positions and very unusual. I enjoy your teardowns with lots of pics to. Your getting to be a dab hand at this :yes:

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
T-STER said:
Nice find Mom, I think it looks very handsome with its mic and tweeter positions and very unusual. I enjoy your teardowns with lots of pics to. Your getting to be a dab hand at this :yes:
Thanks, T-STER! Pics? Wot pics?? I only took about 70 - just in case I came unstuck! :-D

I'm starting to enjoy it!. This time there was no Service Manual or other help and I wasn't sure what to expect but it turned out quite an easy fix. Now, it there was something electronic or electrical wrong with it I'd still be scratching my head!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Boomboxery has been so lucky to have had some great female members over the years, Mrs Fatdog, Walkgirl, Holly and now MyOhMoy.

But you are the first to roll up her sleeves, break out the tools and do what is needed to improve your collection!

I think that is the coolest damn thing there is! :clap: :hooray: :thumbsup:

I like that little radio. I have said it before, having a small/mid sized radio to just grab and go is a must! I have a GE about that size that ALWAYS has batteries in it. It gets tons of use!

Thanks for sharing :-D

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
JVC Floyd said:
that's a nice little radio , looks well made too. prolly a nice sounding radio by the looks of the speakers.
Thanks. It does sound quite nice although a teeny-weeny increase in the range for the Tone control would be an improvement, dang fine for the kitchen or garden though!

k2j said:
Bush :lol: :blush: Certainly a shrub or 2 growing on the cassette keys! :-D Nice looking box though!
Nice one! Yes, there was a bit of fluff around bur it was all superficial and nothing that didn't either blow out or gently wipe off.

duckman said:
Nice looker for sure! Like the sort of Tan (?) colour of the front also ! :drool:
Is that the Rank Corp logo on front?
Oh, and another FINE job on the resto young lady! :thumbsup: :bow: :bow:
Thank you for the compliment, duckman! Tan? Nope, it's a kind of very light metallic green-ish but can look more of a Tan type of colour depending on the light.
And yes.....................
DSCF0839.JPG

Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Boomboxery has been so lucky to have had some great female members over the years, Mrs Fatdog, Walkgirl, Holly and now MyOhMoy.
But you are the first to roll up her sleeves, break out the tools and do what is needed to improve your collection!
I think that is the coolest damn thing there is! :clap: :hooray: :thumbsup:
I like that little radio. I have said it before, having a small/mid sized radio to just grab and go is a must! I have a GE about that size that ALWAYS has batteries in it. It gets tons of use!
Thanks for sharing :-D
You're so kind and supportive, Lasonic - thank you very much. I did have a few tools that I'd acquired over the years before I started but now find myself looking for all the mini-me versions of pliers, files, tiny screwdrivers etc. every time I go shopping. Time for a proper toolbox now as well, methinks!
This box has now found a place in my kitchen (well, at least until the next BB turns up!) and the Hitachi TRK-8130E that was there is now resting in a spare room until it's next on duty. They all need to take their turn 'cos every box has to earn it's keep!

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
blu_fuz said:
Good looking blaster. I like it. Nice job on the price!
A good price indeed - but not as good as "I was just passing by and I saw this ginormous big ass BB up for grabs - for free!" like some folk seem to frequently stumble upon across the pond! :yes: :-) :-D

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
That's certainly a unique box and not just because of the low slung tweeters. I don't think I've seen such a small box have a proper internal chassis with separate front and rear cases before. It's certainly not the cheapest way to construct a boombox!

The deck looks like quality too. Congrats on a great box.

James.... :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.