Sony SX-2990?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 BionicPanda

BionicPanda
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:49 PM

I'm about to buy a Sony boombox. Double cassette deck, AM/FM/SW radio, line-in, 3-band equalizer. The seller claims it to be a SX-2990 Double Deck. But I couldn't find anything related to it on Google. Judging by the pics, it seems to be a Sony CFS-W350 with 4 bands instead of just AM and FM. Does anyone have the sepecifications of it? (sound output, wow & flutter, etc.) Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

#2 goodman

goodman
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,888 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:14 AM

Hello. I see that you are new to the forum.
I suggest you look around in antique shops.

If you do not find anything interesting then look on the internet.

This Sony is cheap and low quality radio.
My advice is - do not buy it.
Here's some much better proposals -
These are quality radios with great features and good sound:

http://articulo.merc...-japan-1982-_JM

http://articulo.merc...ter-boombox-_JM

http://articulo.merc...-japan-1987-_JM

PS: Is prices in this site is in US dollars or not?

#3 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationSleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:58 AM

I would agree with goodman on this.  I was (and still am) a big fan of Sony in the 70's, the build quality and the sound quality were always without disappointment but I think they made a subsequent mistake by lowering standards to pursue the mass market.

gooman's first link is to a JVC RC-656 and many a time had I read of the sound quality of this BB - so I bought one and can honestly say that it lives up to all the sound quality claims made, the listening experience is fantastic for a mid-size box.

The third link is to a Sharp Qt-37 and I can only repeat my words above.  I acquired one of these very recently (see post here) and find it incredible for a small BB - (although it's quite a large small BB!).

In short I'd suggest walking away from the latter day Sony and follow good advice from goodman:thumbsup:

#4 BionicPanda

BionicPanda
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. The prices of Mercado Libre are in Argentine pesos. Unfortunately I can't afford anything more expensive than this Sony, I just need a system with a working cassette player and line-in.

#5 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationSleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. The prices of Mercado Libre are in Argentine pesos. Unfortunately I can't afford anything more expensive than this Sony, I just need a system with a working cassette player and line-in.

I understand what you're saying, I often find myself in the same position but it is well worth the wait - even for just a little time.  Another thing I've noticed on 'some auction sites' or sale sites is, when a box at the 'less expensive end of the price range' is offered and there are no takers, it's usually re-listed at a lower price so that's when to pounce on a bargain.  Wait just a little while - if you can - and your patience may be rewarded!

#6 duckman

duckman
  • Members (SA)
  • 626 posts
  • LocationDead Center, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

I just need a system with a working cassette player and line-in.

Being older however, there is a good chance the cassettes won't work properly, or for long if they do. If you are handy it can be fixed, but if not . . . . Just saying. 

Is this a local sale?

#7 BionicPanda

BionicPanda
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:55 PM

The seller is in a nearby town. He assured me that the boobmox is in perfect condition. I'll go check it personally tomorrow. If it doesn't convince me, I won't buy it.

#8 RossHunt

RossHunt
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:02 AM

Hi,

I also want to know the specification of Sony Boombox. I am really glad to check the specification of the system. Goodman is right, the sound quality of this system is so bad. Thanks for the awareness to buy this system.

----------------------

Thanks and Regards

Ross Hunt

India Software Development | India Web Development