Cleaning duct tape residue off boombox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I searched in topics and can't believe no one ever posted how to clean the old hardened glue from duct tape off. Hopefully someone knows as I've let baby oil soak overnight. I tried wd40 soaking and I even tried lighter fluid and the stuff still hasn't softened up. Any ideas guys???

Bad Boy Bill

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Honestly I had duct tape on my 777 holding down the antennas. Goo Gone took it off.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
baddboybill said:
I used alcohol before on plastic knobs and they started to melt. Don't want that to happen but thank you.

Bad Boy Bill
Hmmm....... I've used 99% alcohol on dozens of knobs, bar ends, plastic cases etc and had zero problems with melting! It cleans off ink, paint, glue residue quick smart. My newly arrived Sanyo M-X720K had sticky goo all over the rear case and the alcohol did a fantastic job leaving the plastic case and knobs looking mint!

Didn't know it was reported to melt plastic!

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Hmmm....... I've used 99% alcohol on dozens of knobs, bar ends, plastic cases etc and had zero problems with melting! It cleans off ink, paint, glue residue quick smart. My newly arrived Sanyo M-X720K had sticky goo all over the rear case and the alcohol did a fantastic job leaving the plastic case and knobs looking mint!

Didn't know it was reported to melt plastic!

The stuff I have is hard glue from old duct tape. Sticky stuff is easy to get off. But thanks Jimmy

Bad Boy Bill

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
The best solvent for adhesives is 0% Mineral Spirits. It is also known as Odorless Mineral Spirits (OMS).
7% mineral spirits contain 7% aromatic content (that gives the odor) and that can be a little harsh on plastics but should work also.

0% mineral spirits work like a charm!

Please stay away from the lettering because it is hard to say if the solvent will dissolve it or not. Take no chances!

I use it on automotive paint to remove tree sap, tar and dirt. It is pretty safe but check if Marantz got a layer of paint on the surface with the with the adhesive residue.

http://www.staples.com/Duck-Adhesive-Remover-5-45-oz/product_752286?externalize=certona

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=20774186&cp=2568443.2568451.2624942.1260468

It is flammable!

I am pretty sure it is nothing but odorless mineral spirits.

nikonfoo

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
I use common kitchen grease cleaner
For stubborn stuff spray and put plastic wrap over it to stop it drying out
and leave for a while :afro:

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Thank you everyone for all the great ideas. I went this morning, after soaking for 3 days in baby oil and wd40, and used rubbing alcohol and with a little elbow grease I finally got it all off. She looks like new again 😎. Before and after

Bad Boy Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.