Coming soon to the Chateau Ghetteaux a Sanyo M7735 - update with photagraphie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2013
Upstate New York
Back in the mid-80s my late brother bought for himself a Sanyo M7735 to record his favorite radio programs - mostly the Top 40. It billed itself as a 'six speaker' boom box and while four of them were indeed woofers, the other two were those pizza-electric tweeters.

My_Sanyo_M7735.jpg

He managed to hang on to the wee beastie and it was still in his apartment when he disappeared 20 years ago next month - his remains were dragged from the Hudson River the following spring. The weekend before his apartment had been cleared out for non-payment of rent and amongst the items in the dumpster was his Sanyo M7735. Some Latino fellow managed to retrieve it and presumably got a few more years use out of it.

Welp, I just won bid on one for the grand total of $35.34. Shame about my brother not making it to the 21st century. He would've loved being able to download music...

---------------------------------- + UPDATE WITH PHOTAGRAPHIE + ----------------------------------

01 les sanyo micreaux.jpg

The wee beastie has arrived! There was a bit of rattling as a speaker had broken loose and the tape controls were jammed. The seller also sent the wrong power transformer and forget the owners manual, but it looks to be otherwise there...

02 la patient disassemblie.jpg

Mechanism was jammed at first but a little oil got it going again. The tape belt was in working order. Since it would've been difficult to get at anyway, we'll let it go till it fails.

04 le button assemblie.jpg

Buttons and switches needed the usual mucking out...

06 les chamber de speakers.jpg
07 les speaker injured.jpg

The speakers all work - one lost two of its support posts but they could be glued back in place

05 les radio mechanique.jpg

The tuner strings...

08 les sanyo cabinet.jpg

The outer cabinet was cleaned as best as we could.

09 les sanyo reconstructie.jpg

The Sanyo is refurbished! Playing a tape of '80s popchix...

10 les portrait de une familie.jpg

A gathering of blasteurs de ghetteaux representing the boxes of my and my brother's youth. The Sony CFM-23 was his first and the Sanyo C-2 was passed onto me when he decided he didn't want to make payments on it.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Love these funky looking Sanyo's, a great reminder of your bro as well. So sorry to hear the story, he would be glad to see you blasting his old box though :yes:

Jul 23, 2013
Upstate New York
Hisrudeness said:
Glad you found one. I remember you posted this story on a thread of mine. A special box.

By the way is it true the best pizza in the US is in New York?
Couldn't say. Closest I'd ever had to New York City pizza was whatever they were serving in the Citicorp Center atrium when I visited their Christmas railroad display.

Jody Thornton

Member (SA)
Nov 2, 2015
Richmond Hill, Ontario
I had a chance to listen to a Sanyo slimline dubbing machine at a Value Village recently. I could not believe how loud and clear it went. Sure weaker in the deep bass, but it had a good mid-bass punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.