First refoam project....PROJECT COMPLETE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
Gonna refoam my 15" Vegas from my RE38's. Still have to order the kit.
Started removing the foam on one speaker but I hurt my hand yesterday so holding the blade and scraping wasnt going so well. Gonna put it on hold til next weekend and I'll probably have the kit by then too.
The orange surface foam was cracked all the way around but the gray underfoam was still pretty solid...which made it a little harder to remove.
I ripped off a little more surface paper on the cone than I wanted too...i'll do better on the next one.
Waiting for Refoam Master Floyd to chime in with a couple pointers...

Attachments

duckman

Member (SA)
Oct 30, 2014
Dead Center, Manitoba, Canada
Wow, good timing, lol I just picked up a pair of 316R's Thursday and will need to do mine too.

Curious tho, how do you like the tweeters on yours ? They differ from the horns on mine as they are newer generation me thinks, but mine could peel paint off the walls let alone the eardrums, lol.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
well , you need to remove the outer gasket , then clean the mating surfaces , once you get the foams start by gluing the foam to the cone first trying ti align the new foam with the border that was left from the old foam . once the foam is adhered to the cone then glue the frame and outer edge of the foam , as the glue is setting press down on the center of the cone several times to insure there is no coil rubbing , if there is rubbing just move the cone around a bit until it moves freely . once you have that done check the alignment several times before the glue sets. also make sure all mating surfaces are mated together and there are no bubbles , once you are comfortable leaving it dry , always glue both the cone/frame/foam. i usually use some light sand paper to remove the old foam bits and clean the frame , you can also use a good flat head screw driver to scrape the frame . you do not need to remove the dust caps. once you have all the foam installed and dry then re install the gasket , i usually wait till the glue starts to set then just flip the speaker over and let the weight of the speaker press on the front gasket till it's dry . also you can remove the gasket by just peeling it off leaving a thin layer on the frame that you can scrape off. going around the gasket with the flat head screw driver kinda prying it up will loosen it up some.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
duckman said:
Wow, good timing, lol I just picked up a pair of 316R's Thursday and will need to do mine too.

Curious tho, how do you like the tweeters on yours ? They differ from the horns on mine as they are newer generation me thinks, but mine could peel paint off the walls let alone the eardrums, lol.
Love the tweets on mine. Soft dome tweeter type...not overwhelming....I think they're perfect.
The RE38's are a very underrated speaker overall. One of the best I've ever heard for the money.
Nice score for you...I went newer based on the music I listen to. 70's and 80's speakers weren't meant for 90's rap/hip hop in my opinion.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
JVC Floyd said:
well , you need to remove the outer gasket , then clean the mating surfaces , once you get the foams start by gluing the foam to the cone first trying ti align the new foam with the border that was left from the old foam . once the foam is adhered to the cone then glue the frame and outer edge of the foam , as the glue is setting press down on the center of the cone several times to insure there is no coil rubbing , if there is rubbing just move the cone around a bit until it moves freely . once you have that done check the alignment several times before the glue sets. also make sure all mating surfaces are mated together and there are no bubbles , once you are comfortable leaving it dry , always glue both the cone/frame/foam. i usually use some light sand paper to remove the old foam bits and clean the frame , you can also use a good flat head screw driver to scrape the frame . you do not need to remove the dust caps. once you have all the foam installed and dry then re install the gasket , i usually wait till the glue starts to set then just flip the speaker over and let the weight of the speaker press on the front gasket till it's dry . also you can remove the gasket by just peeling it off leaving a thin layer on the frame that you can scrape off. going around the gasket with the flat head screw driver kinda prying it up will loosen it up some.
That's my dog!
I watched a couple videos too before I started so I think I can handle it.
The thing that sucks is that the paper wanted to tear past the exposed glue line on the cone....not by much but I'm sure it will be a little noticeable.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
just roll up a piece of sand paper and use it to lightly knock off the foam residue from the cone. try not to sand flat on the cone but angle the sand paper so it only catches the area with foam on it.

duckman

Member (SA)
Oct 30, 2014
-GZ- said:
Love the tweets on mine. Soft dome tweeter type...not overwhelming....I think they're perfect.
The RE38's are a very underrated speaker overall. One of the best I've ever heard for the money.
Nice score for you...I went newer based on the music I listen to. 70's and 80's speakers weren't meant for 90's rap/hip hop in my opinion.
Thank for that. I know the newer upper end ones have been a big improvement in fidelity too.

If I keep them for any length of time I may swap out the tweets. I have a few HUGE speakers already. Got these for a steal, but they are a bit of a project and the pots need work.

Good luck and look forward to end results !

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
duckman said:
Thank for that. I know the newer upper end ones have been a big improvement in fidelity too.

If I keep them for any length of time I may swap out the tweets. I have a few HUGE speakers already. Got these for a steal, but they are a bit of a project and the pots need work.

Good luck and look forward to end results !
Thanks! Can't wait to see your progress too
Huge? So like these? vvvvvvv

Yeah I have a problem too ;)

Attachments

duckman

Member (SA)
Oct 30, 2014
Ya lucky Basterd to have 'em all @ your disposal ! :drool:

I am in a major reno at the time and don't have a set up for all mine but these new CV's are the same size as yours and my Infinity RS 3B's & 4B's are tucked away unfortunately. Only pics I have of anything atm are my JBL's but they are on here already twice.

What are ya juicing your CV's with?

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
duckman said:
A custom '1 of' set from '77. In my hands since '79
My Pictures 250.jpg
My Pictures 528.jpg
serious speakers there man . i think altec and jbl made about the most massive and bad ass speaker systems on earth. the altec " voice of the theater" systems are magnificent and epic to look at and hear . these high end jbl and altec speakers are the rolls royce of speakers.

duckman

Member (SA)
Oct 30, 2014
-GZ- said:
Those are gorgeous!
JVC Floyd said:
serious speakers there man . i think altec and jbl made about the most massive and bad ass speaker systems on earth. the altec " voice of the theater" systems are magnificent and epic to look at and hear . these high end jbl and altec speakers are the rolls royce of speakers.
Thanks guys, and yes Floyd they really are. I am privileged to have gotten these when I was 19 off my brother-in-law and also to have a bunch of buds now that all have JBL & Altecs. Gonna listen to set of Altec A-7's tomorrow in fact. Huge sound stage even at low volumes.

These big Cerwins are a first for me and and I hope they come out looking as clean as GZ's !

Status
Not open for further replies.