Photo

I've got myself a GF-999 need advise on pinch roller, power supply etc.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 toshik

toshik
  • Members (SA)
  • 481 posts
  • LocationSt. Augustine, FL

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:10 PM

I've got bored by National RX-7200s, so got myself a GF-999.
There is nothing much there for me to do in terms of FM tweaking since it's already there. :yes:
So all I need to do is a basic restoration - clean-up, lubrication and belts replacement.
I need some advise on pinch rollers sizes please, the seach did not reveal actual mm dimentions. Since National uses a unique from the common size I won't be surprised Sharp followed the lead. I'm pretty sure they are same size as GF-777 brother but I don't physically have the box to measure the old ones.
And also possibility of installing GF-777 power supply PCB? I'd imagine that I'd need at least to cut a hole in the rear case for round voltage selector. Or maybe install a proper size transformer hardwired for 120vac onto original pcb like I did in the past.

#2 toshik

toshik
  • Members (SA)
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:40 PM

I see two possibilities here: either we don't have any more Sharp owners or they no longer visit the site :-)

Oh, there is the last one - a sticky with those sizes I fail to see :-) :-)

Whatever model I work on myself I create a file with all belts and pinch rollers sizes for future reference.

#3 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,991 posts
  • LocationHudson Florida

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:54 PM

Sharp pinch rollers are same size as other brands. Just replaced one on VZ2000. You can get new ones here. http://www.studiosou...om/cassette.htm

Bad Boy Bill

#4 toshik

toshik
  • Members (SA)
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:31 PM

Thanks! So they are 13x6.4x2.8?

#5 toshik

toshik
  • Members (SA)
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:23 PM

LOL, more silence was the answer :-)

What is the power transformer size?

#6 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,991 posts
  • LocationHudson Florida

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:32 PM

Thanks! So they are 13x6.4x2.8?

Yes about that size. Trust me they work 😉

Bad Boy Bill

#7 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,991 posts
  • LocationHudson Florida

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:33 PM

LOL, more silence was the answer :-)
What is the power transformer size?

Specs are on back case for power usage

Bad Boy Bill

#8 toshik

toshik
  • Members (SA)
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:44 PM

Specs are on back case for power usage

Bad Boy Bill

OK and what does the back cover have to do with the power transformer SIZE ? :drool:

#9 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,991 posts
  • LocationHudson Florida

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:48 PM

Gives you voltage and wattage. Can't have any transformer less than wattage consumed. Plus it's a 15v dc so transformer need to be that.
. Posted Image

Bad Boy Bill

#10 toshik

toshik
  • Members (SA)
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:55 PM

I need physical dimentions of the actual metal transformer on PCB, not hypothetical numbers from the back label :-)

In another words transformer height, width and length, actual numbers in mm or inches.

I look only for the exact match. Anything else won't fit the PCB!

#11 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,991 posts
  • LocationHudson Florida

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:56 PM

Check eBay Chinese sellers are always selling parts for gf777 and those will fit

Bad Boy Bill

#12 toshik

toshik
  • Members (SA)
  • 481 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:05 PM

What is the AC output voltage from the transformer?

Transformer shell size would be great, however last time I could not get the answer....

For everyone else wondering, off US 120VAC original Japan transformer outputs 16.2VAC with no load, multivoltage version transformer outputs only 14.6 VAC

#13 toshik

toshik
  • Members (SA)
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:12 AM

It was supposed to be delivered tomorrow if not for stupid USPS holiday :-) 

#14 riker1068

riker1068
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA Jacksonville

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:19 AM

:blink:

#15 toshik

toshik
  • Members (SA)
  • 481 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:37 AM

Yep sitting at my postal station today without move.

#16 riker1068

riker1068
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA Jacksonville

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:09 PM

I had a pick up set for saturday to deliver to brazil. Pick up was confirmed and becer showed up. Git a email saturday, sorry for inconvience and will pick up on tuesday. What a crock up wet brown stink mud. I hate usps!

#17 toshik

toshik
  • Members (SA)
  • 481 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:44 AM

Ok it arrived yesterday with no ADDED damage whatsoever, today I have some time to dig into it. 

Mint to VG condition surely very minor pitting and yes there are things to work on in order to make it 100%.

Can use some advise unless I'd be faster fixing the things up :-) I know RX-7000/7200 in and out but this is first time I work of Sharp.

There are 2 issues I have.

Since everyone knows how GF-999 looks like, I'm not posting pictures yet.

#18 toshik

toshik
  • Members (SA)
  • 481 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:07 PM

Both decks are running strong on the original belts with almost no wear to the heads, however there is an issue I did not address yet: right channel is completely out, I'd imagine balance or volume pot needs some heavy spraying

#19 stosoorok

stosoorok
  • Members (SA)
  • 97 posts
  • LocationEstonia

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:59 PM

I would try to clean volume pot first! Actually clean all, once you take it apart.

https://boomboxery.c...rp-gf-777-pots/

#20 toshik

toshik
  • Members (SA)
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:30 PM

Will do! One more piece of puzzle - I found tiny spring and some black plastic piece inside the case upon the first opening under the cassette mechanism (my snake eyes).

I was rebelting and re-pinch rolling today and found somewhat broken switch behind the right deck FF button (buttons assembly removed on the picture), looks missing the pusher and broken to me!

Attached Files

#21 toshik

toshik
  • Members (SA)
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

For everyone else who'd work on this: the belts sizes (FBM11.5 and SBM6.0) noted in the General Disassembly Instructions by Fatdog are unfortunately wrong size (IMHO too big). I purchased them ahead of time based on this instruction without taking any measurements of the actual mechanism. 

The correct types are FBS11.5 and SBS6.0

I put the original old belts in for now.

Counter belt SBS7.4 is ok

#22 toshik

toshik
  • Members (SA)
  • 481 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:35 AM

Surely it was the volume pot, I did not take everything apart, just carefully sprayed it through the front hole while the frame was out the case.

#23 toshik

toshik
  • Members (SA)
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:19 PM

Since I'm back to original 35-years old belts I tried to get the correct sized FBS11.5 and SBS6.0. I normally purchase from studiosoundelectronics.com they are pretty reasonable and local to me but to my surprise they don't have both sizes!

Update: studiosoundelectronics suggested to use FBS11.0 and SBS6.2

#24 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,254 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:41 AM

Since I'm back to original 35-years old belts I tried to get the correct sized FBS11.5 and SBS6.0. I normally purchase from studiosoundelectronics.com they are pretty reasonable and local to me but to my surprise they don't have both sizes!

What of FBS 11.0 and SBS 5.6? SBS 6.2 is 0.2 loose. 

#25 rwilhi

rwilhi
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:25 PM

Did you figure out what power supply would work? I am trying to change my power supply in my Toyota asin ea900 which is based off the 909.. Did the 777 power supply work?

#26 toshik

toshik
  • Members (SA)
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:30 PM

The board is 100% identical it's a direct swap 2 or 4 screws, connector is the same. I think the cutout in the rear panel for voltage switch is covered by something in japanese version. So preset it for your voltage prior to installation. I don't have this radio anymore so can't picture anything.

Attached Files

#27 rwilhi

rwilhi
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:13 AM

The board is 100% identical it's a direct swap 2 or 4 screws, connector is the same. I think the cutout in the rear panel for voltage switch is covered by something in japanese version. So preset it for your voltage prior to installation. I don't have this radio anymore so can't picture anything.

What power supply is that? The 777z Multi?