Photo

I found a Conion C-100F Boombox... whats it worth?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rule4

rule4
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:07 PM

Hey there, First post and I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about boomboxes other that I had one as a kid. I have always found the best source for information on something I know little about is hitting up a forum filled with experts.

I was doing a cleanout on a home and came across this boombox in a closet. It almost ended up in a dumpster but I saved it because it just looked cool... come to find out there is a following for these. I had no idea.

It has no power cord, the antenas are broken and the battery compartment is missing a springs so I have no idea if it works but other than that it seems pretty intact and in ok condition. All the buttons and knobs seem to work. The tape decks open and close ok.

Should I dismantel it and part it out... would somebody want to fix this if sell it as a whole radio on ebay... and most importantly... What's it worth?

Attached Files

#2 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,168 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:16 PM

Well since you are merely interested in capitalizing on something you found, and most members here are potential buyer/collectors, I would say its worth as little as possible. Wanna sell it for $20?

#3 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,162 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:17 PM

Use the search function here.
Use the search function on Ebay for completed/sold sales.

It's worth more as a complete unit than as a parts proposition.

Don't post here thinking you'll pull big $$$s from a member. You'll will get more an Ebay.

Good luck,

James

#4 JustCruisin

JustCruisin
  • Members
  • 2,938 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

I'd be willing to give $50 for it.. ;-)

#5 rule4

rule4
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

Well since you are merely interested in capitalizing on something you found, and most members here are potential buyer/collectors, I would say its worth as little as possible. Wanna sell it for $20?

In a way, yes I am capitolizing on something I found but on the bright side its something I found and saved from being destroyed. Any collector should appreciate that.

I save all types of things from being trashed but in a way guys like me keep the market fresh with new items for collectors and it helps me keep the family farm afloat :)

I was really just looking to see if the demand for these is more in the parts or if it would sell better as a whole unit. There are no old listings for just parts for these being sold on ebay that I could find but there are plenty of conversations on forums with people looing for parts.

#6 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,162 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 21 September 2015 - 01:00 AM

In a way, yes I am capitolizing on something I found but on the bright side its something I found and saved from being destroyed. Any collector should appreciate that.

I save all types of things from being trashed but in a way guys like me keep the market fresh with new items for collectors and it helps me keep the family farm afloat :)

I was really just looking to see if the demand for these is more in the parts or if it would sell better as a whole unit. There are no old listings for just parts for these being sold on ebay that I could find but there are plenty of conversations on forums with people looing for parts.

If I were you, I'd sell it as a complete, working box. As soon as you start stripping parts, the value just dies away. Some boxes are worth more as parts but not the C100F.

Good luck,

James

#7 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,099 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:31 AM

Keep it whole. I bet any member here would appreciate if you offered it to us to restore for maybe a couple hundred. On ebay, anything is possible. The best and worst prices have come from there.

#8 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:45 AM

You need to get a power cord and test it.  It's worth a lot more if people know what works and what doesn't.

You probably have a suitable cord already.  If not, head to Radio Shack (or preferably Walmart).

I notice it still has the spare tape drawer, a lot of people would probably pay $50+ for that alone.

Then there's things like knobs, speakers, the battery door, and the whole front case.  All things that SOMEONE would buy.  But you need to ask yourself if you're willing to spend time posting and managing 20 different auctions.

So I say just list the whole thing.  Someone off this board will win it for $400+ but not tell anyone, because they want everyone here to think they score all their boxes for cheap. :lol: :lol:

#9 duckman

duckman
  • Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationDead Center, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:52 AM

I say keep it whole also, as Reli said, how much time are you going to spend parting it and doing all the deals, and blu_fuz's comment also on pricing. Could be a bonus or bust, yet ANYTHING in this situation is profit!

See if you can test it as more info the better. Those cords can also be found at thrift shops. 

Just please heed buyer's packing requirements/preferences if you have to ship it, as that is what really counts in this situation to save any grief, as you have saved it from the dump so far! :-)   Only say this as you obviously do not sell these on a regular basis, and any serious buyer will pay a few extra $ to ensure that, so no ego here just good service, as we've all had our share of "I know how to pack" items land at our door in pieces.    :sad:

Good luck

#10 riker1068

riker1068
  • Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA Jacksonville

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:49 AM

$200 is my offer. No need to test it.

#11 rule4

rule4
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:34 PM

Good advice, thanks guys.

I think I'm going to list the radio as a whole on Ebay and see what happens. I'll put up a link to the auction on here when I list it. I hope one of you guys can bring it back to lits original glory and enjoy it.

Thanks again.  :-) 

#12 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,099 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:19 PM

We don't want or need to see the link.

Thanks for stopping in. If you honestly cared about it being restored you would have offered it to the 'collectors' first.

#13 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,883 posts
  • LocationSleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:42 AM

We don't want or need to see the link.

Thanks for stopping in. If you honestly cared about it being restored you would have offered it to the 'collectors' first.

:agree:

#14 riker1068

riker1068
  • Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA Jacksonville

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:25 PM

#15 Vintage Man

Vintage Man
  • Members
  • 398 posts
  • LocationOSHAWA ONTARIO CANADA

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:56 PM

If I were you, I'd sell it as a complete, working box. As soon as you start stripping parts, the value just dies away. Some boxes are worth more as parts but not the C100F.

Good luck,

James

I bought the clairtone aka for 140 bucks.
and have since tripled my money. so ya. you can get some coin for the conion.