Panasonic RX-5050 Stuck on Record with Tape Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKVII

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2013
Chapmanville, WV
Hello friends, I am afraid that my beloved Panasonic RX-5050 may just be all for junk now. I pressed record on a tape and now the tape will not stop; it is stuck inside and I cannot do anything. Pressing the Stop/Eject button does not do anything. Also, with the Panasonic RX-5050, it is impossible to open the boombox with a tape inside (the door comes open normally when opening the boombox). Would anybody have a solution to this?! :-/

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
i had the same thing happen to mine , eventually it fixed itself . i think just removing the batteries or plugging it in and un plugging it a few times did the trick , i though was toast then it just unclogged itself .

DKVII

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2013
Chapmanville, WV
JVC Floyd said:
i had the same thing happen to mine , eventually it fixed itself . i think just removing the batteries or plugging it in and un plugging it a few times did the trick , i though was toast then it just unclogged itself .
Did yours still pick up your voice and everything? The meters are moving and it's acting like it's in record, but the reels aren't turning. Pressing stop does nothing; furthermore, the stop button doesn't click that it normally does, either.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
i tried to record something and as soon as i pressed record the deck went kablooey . after about 5 minuted of beating on the sides of the box she started working again lol.

DKVII

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2013
Chapmanville, WV
JVC Floyd said:
i tried to record something and as soon as i pressed record the deck went kablooey . after about 5 minuted of beating on the sides of the box she started working again lol.
Okay, I will try it. lol. I've already ripped the front door cover off. Prying it open is not an option, haha. One more question, did you beat on the sides of the box with it plugged in or off?

DKVII

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2013
Chapmanville, WV
Nevermind. JVC Floyd, you are a genius! I beat on the side of it for a couple of minutes and heard a "click". All is good now!

DKVII

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2013
Chapmanville, WV
baddboybill said:
Sounds like deck needs cleaning and fresh lube as old grease is to thick.

Bad Boy Bill
Deck is super clean; however, it is still sticking when pressing record (had to do the beat it loose trick again), so a proper greasing may be needed.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I doubt it's the record bar causing it to stick as I've never seen one sticking but it may need a good cleaning from sitting many years. The 5050 is a simple unit to repair and just needs a full restoration.

Bad Boy Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.