VZ-2000 buzzing

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrks

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2015
Hi can anyone help me with my problem (just done a search of this forum and didn't immediately see anything relevant except for the https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/13271-hissing-through-speakers/
topic which isn't showing any of the posts on my computer for some reason)

The speakers from my VZ-2000 have always made a fairly loud (in a quiet room) buzzing/humming type sound when it is plugged in - whether music is playing or not.

Is there any common cause of this problem - or is it just something I should put up with? It is distracting with music on at a low volume/between tracks (and when I have it plugged in with no music on). It doesn't get louder if I change the volume control.

Hoping to solve the problem so I can enjoy my boombox buzzing free! Will take it to an audio repair shop if needed but don't want to do that if there might be a reasonably easy fix for it. Happy to give more details if I've missed any obvious point which might explain the problem.

Thanks and look forward to hearing.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
First thing to try is to clean the record bar. If you want to see if this helps without tearing it apart you need to hit record and stop a bunch of times on tape deck

Bad Boy Bill

marrks

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2015
Thanks, will give this a try this evening and report back. Really hoping the problem is that simple to fix!

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Well honestly the hitting of record/stop is just temporary and actually getting inside unit and cleaning the switch is recommended for longer term.

Bad Boy Bill

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
yeah those function switches need a good lube , these tend to bind up and get stuck in limbo between functions . dirty switches on the vz cause 90% of all sound related problems.

marrks

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2015
Good info, have never opened it up but have seen a reference guide linked in the post below on how to safely open it up so will have a look at that properly and follow the instructions to see what I can do to clean it if the initial rec/stop process doesn't help.

And then I'll probably have some more questions!

marrks

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2015
OK well the rec/stop trick didn't work so maybe I'll have to open it up.

Hope I described the noise correctly as well, it's actually much more of a constant hissing from the speakers than a buzzing sound whenever the power is on, if that makes sense.

Thanks for your help so far though

marrks

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2015
yes it hisses all the time and in every mode regardless if any music is playing through it. i just checked the back to see that the rated line voltage is correct for the UK and it is at 240 V which should be right (i believe). got any other ideas?

marrks

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2015
PS as in power supply? And does this mean it's likely to be an internal problem which requires new parts - just thinking whether it's something I could fix or if I should leave to professionals. Would like to try fixing myself so hopefully new parts won't be required!

marrks

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2015
No I haven't tried that, but agree it's probably worth testing different power options before opening it up.

Presumably I could just use any regular UK Plug to figure-8 plug (which is what I'm using currently for power supply) or try it out with 10 D batteries and see if the hissing stays the same?

marrks

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2015
Haha yep would be expensive to run on batteries nonstop but I actually have six in my house already so just need to buy four more to get the full set for testing.

Just hope it still works from a battery source, never used that part and not sure if the last owner(s) would have either!

marrks

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2015
OK got it all powered up with batteries, unfortunately the hissing remains. So it's not that (though there is a separate minor buzzing that i noticed up close which stopped when i ran it from batteries rather than mains - but not too worried about that as need to be fairly close to hear it)

While I was looking at the back, I saw the internal/external speaker switch and flipped that over to external which stopped the loud hissing from the main speakers (still some hissing through the smaller top two speakers but not as loud).

Not sure if this helps diagnose at all? Let me know your thoughts if you have any though!

marrks

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2015
yep, that's what i was hoping to avoid but now seems inevitable!

are there any other good guides to do this other than at http://www.mediafire...a9900whfke6d85a

also is a contact cleaner like this what i should be using http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/lubricating-penetrating-oil/halfords-electrical-contact-cleaner-400ml

is that all i need (plus maybe microfiber type cloth) or are there any other things that i should get before i open it up? sorry for all the questions, just want to get everything prepared as best I can!

Status
Not open for further replies.