RX-5010LS aux in / line input

Status
Not open for further replies.

stosoorok

Member (SA)
Sep 1, 2015
Estonia
Hello, I'm bit stuck now with trying to add aux in to RX-5010LS. Rec/Play DIN do not work (line-out?), adding to preamp output pins the sound quality is bad with lower volume and low treble compared to radio. Only good solution with good sound is to add aux to volume knob pins but I don't like this. I want to switch radio or tape without disconnecting aux.

Second question - when the tape is playing I switch to radio - radio starts playing - then I switch to sleep position - radio is still playing - then press stop tape and radio turns off - is this normal? I tried to figure out without schematics that / sleep = off / radio = radio / tape = aux / with no luck. Easiest solution seems to press play to activate aux and put a small switch between the cassette motor to keep the noise as low as possible.

Preamp is BA328: http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/35945/ROHM/BA328.html

https://goo.gl/photos/NAsBZ6PwAujsrizJA [max res]
20150905_155037.jpg

https://goo.gl/photos/rMNi7BRMzp8qQnGV6 [max res]
20150905_221123.jpg

https://goo.gl/photos/bMXxEXnczDxY4YLBA [max res]
20150905_221156.jpg

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
2nd question I can answer is when in sleep mode you play tape. You can have it set to either radio or tape. At end of tape it automatically stops and then unit shuts off. That's how sleep mode works 😉

Bad Boy Bill

stosoorok

Member (SA)
Sep 1, 2015
Estonia
baddboybill said:
2nd question I can answer is when in sleep mode you play tape. You can have it set to either radio or tape. At end of tape it automatically stops and then unit shuts off. That's how sleep mode works

Bad Boy Bill
Okay thanks, seems logical. Early-day mechanical sleep mode! :-)

stosoorok

Member (SA)
Sep 1, 2015
Estonia
Little update and thanks to superlew for a good hint! I have successfully added aux-in to RX-5010LS. I'll write about it later. Couple pictures of "work in progress"

IMAG0001.jpg IMAG0002.jpg IMAG0003.jpg

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
I find this all very interesting even though I understand little of the electrickery aspects of BB's (and everything else for that matter) and the lack of Line In RCA's/3.5 jack inputs in older BB's I find a tad disappointing. I'd love to do something similar but I'd need the finest of detailed pics to succeed. I'd even get the very same model to make sure it all went nice 'n' dandy! Keep up the good work and keep us (ME!) informed, please.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
I didn't see this before. I think on the Panny I just did, I connected to the INPUT side of the preamp, not the output.

Is that maybe what worked better? Always exciting when we figure out things huh? :thumbsup:

stosoorok

Member (SA)
Sep 1, 2015
Estonia
I have now studied this panny's circuits many hours and found that the best way to connect aux is near TAPE/RADIO switch. This switch also switches preamp input between radio and tape. If you look at the pictures above you see main preamp input AFTER the tape/radio switch. If you connect your aux cable there, you must use DPDT relay or switch to switch between tape/radio signal or aux signal. I connected my aux cable to the and of the TAPE preamp circuit because I don't want to add another switch and I don't have tape stuff in my panny any more. So my LINE IN is now in TAPE position and RADIO position is radio. :-)

I'll take new pictures soon and add them on my Panny's modding topic here: https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/24071-panasonic-rx-5010ls-cleaning-servicing-and-modding/

Bucketh

Sep 21, 2014
Hi
I have this boombox.
Can you help me? If I understand well you use the TAPE selector as LINE IN selector.
Are you pressing play to power up the boombox?

Maybe TAPE selector power up the boombox, so perhaps now SLEEP function is the Power OFF? (or could be?)

Isn't it possible to mix the TAPE signal with the LINE IN to TAPE selector?

PS: I have also the 5030LS: Beware no LINE IN :(

stosoorok

Member (SA)
Sep 1, 2015
Estonia
Bucketh said:
Hi
I have this boombox.
Can you help me? If I understand well you use the TAPE selector as LINE IN selector.
Are you pressing play to power up the boombox?

Maybe TAPE selector power up the boombox, so perhaps now SLEEP function is the Power OFF? (or could be?)

Isn't it possible to mix the TAPE signal with the LINE IN to TAPE selector?

PS: I have also the 5030LS: Beware no LINE IN :(
Sorry I've been too busy lately to add more instructions!

* Yes I use TAPE position for line-in.
* Yes I use "play button" to power up the boombox, but actually mechanical play button is now replaced with relay which gets its signal from selector switch.
* Sleep position is now OFF
* I took off last resistor between tape amp and selector switch circuit and connected line-in cable to switch side.

I'll try to take new picture tomorrow and mark the spots. But I don't guarantee that your 5030 has the same main board!

Bucketh

Sep 21, 2014
Hi, thank you. :-)

I have the 5010LS, the 5030LS is a bigger box with many different functions.

I wonder how to keep the tape in this mod on the 5010LS.

I like to use the DIN input as REC/PLAY but also true LINE IN. Using TAPE as LINE IN/TAPE selector. Meaning there are 2 signals on a track... Does this (dirty) trick will work?

Adding a little switch on the side of the box to cut the tape motor. I don't know where on the PCB but it could be right on the motor?

stosoorok

Member (SA)
Sep 1, 2015
Estonia
Yes you can keep the tape. Just connect one switch that switches two relays, one for audio (DPDT) and one for tape motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.