How do I remove old belt 'Liquorice' goo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Hiya,

Just how do I remove belt 'Liquorice'? I've got my hands on a couple of Hitachi TRK-8130's which require new belts. I have the BB's apart and the flywheel removed but there's now only sticky liquorice remaining in the groove. I made the messy mistake of trying to remove the goo with a paper towel but ended up with a smeared mess all over my fingers (try and get that off easily!) - the rest is still on the flywheel playing hard-to-get.

Is there an easier, less messy way to do this, with something like White Spirit for instance?

(Do I detect a little grin or two on the forum? Another basic beginners' mistake, eh? Ha, got me!)

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Oh the lovely belt gloop that magically gets everywhere and ruins your new favorite Gangstarr Tshirt 5 days after buying it and also get on the lounge rug despite you not being anywhere near it. Yeah, that stuff.

I usually remove it from wheels and flywheels with a mixture of toothpics or cocktail sticks, isoprophyl alchohol and elbow grease. I tease out any last remaining bits with cocktail sticks, run that around the groove of the flywheel then get the cotton bud sticks out, dip them in the alchohol and then run that around them as well. Then its just kitchen roll or rags or whatever is at hand to wipe it all clean.

Ruddy horrible stuff.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
T-STER said:
Oh the lovely belt gloop that magically gets everywhere and ruins your new favorite Gangstarr Tshirt 5 days after buying it and also get on the lounge rug despite you not being anywhere near it. Yeah, that stuff.

I usually remove it from wheels and flywheels with a mixture of toothpics or cocktail sticks, isoprophyl alchohol and elbow grease. I tease out any last remaining bits with cocktail sticks, run that around the groove of the flywheel then get the cotton bud sticks out, dip them in the alchohol and then run that around them as well. Then its just kitchen roll or rags or whatever is at hand to wipe it all clean.

Ruddy horrible stuff.
Yep, the horrible stuff gets everywhere including under my nails - aaargh!

Thanks for the help, it's my first time with this problem and I never realised just how messy a job it is.

Thank you again, T-STER.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Thanks, JVC Floyd. I'm not familiar with Windex, is this a propriety, off the shelf window cleaning product ("cuts through greasy smears"...blah, blah just like they all say!)

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Windex? I guess that is some USA window cleaner stuff? That would make sense I think anything alkali (?) like vinegar would be good for cutting through it.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
GLOVES!!! Yes, I figured that out the moment I'd finished swearing! :annoyed:

Thanks again, everyone. I can see now where this is going with the product type so I'll roll my sleeves up in the morning - and put my gloves on this time!

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Yeah I thought of gloves, I'm just not a gloves kind of guy. I have an industrial tub of swarf from a friends garage so I dont have any trouble getting it off my hands.

toshik

Member (SA)
Mar 1, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
Me too, but this is really sticky **** getting all over the working area. I've done a dozen of Philips EL3302, even two tiny belts inside those can make a housewide mess!

duckman

Member (SA)
Oct 30, 2014
Dead Center, Manitoba, Canada
Windex???!!! Really? Argg, that's a revelation too late! :bang:

I usually use acetone (though test on that inconspicuous spot first) that I clean speaker surrounds with. Dip a Q-tip in and roll it 'bottom in' at the goop eats 'er easily, and just remember to use any of this shiat in a well ventilated area and get LOTS of Q-tips , paper towels, etc.

I lay my work area/surface with newspaper to start. Then off to the blue bin.

Windex eh? Going get some soon. The Amonia in it does the trick? :hmmm:

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Yes Floyd is correct,I have great luck with regular old Windex glass cleaner. I accidentally discovered it one day while rebelting an Aiwa
It's cheap and works great,even cleans your hands and fingers too,LOL! :lol:
I think it has something to do with the Ammonia in it or something,but it works great so I use it.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
After reading the latest posts, I tried a typical UK brand of glass/window cleaner called 'Windowlene'. In all fairness, I'd removed most of the goo by all sorts of means all with much difficulty before I tried the 'Windowlene' but it did work although it didn't have much to do by this stage. I'll remember to try this first on the next one, though.

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
MyOhMy said:
After reading the latest posts, I tried a typical UK brand of glass/window cleaner called 'Windowlene'. In all fairness, I'd removed most of the goo by all sorts of means all with much difficulty before I tried the 'Windowlene' but it did work although it didn't have much to do by this stage. I'll remember to try this first on the next one, though.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.