BIKES & BOOMBOXES

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
Last Sunday the family and I hit a vintage bike show put together by Gary Turner of GT bicycles. I just had to represent, so I came equipped with my 2nd gen 931 with "blu fuz" strap. We weren't even there for 2 minutes when a guy came up to me with one of the biggest smiles I've ever seen. He started asking me questions about my LASONIC and then he told me his boombox story from when he was a kid. PRICELESS...

As we made our way towards the DJ booth, he noticed the bling and immediately got on the mic, and to my surprise he announced for all to hear and said "This next jam is going out to this guy right here, with the classic boombox, he knows how to keep it old school!" Then he pumped out the classic hit "RADIO" by LL COOL J, the crowd loved it :-)

I got to meet actor Bill Allen as well, who played "CRU JONES" in the 80's BMX/Freestyle movie "RAD" he autographed my book, and then I got him to strike a Boomboxery pose with me! Classic...

They had a Freestyle show at 3:00, but by then the DJ had packed up and left. My family and I were just chillin curbside waiting for the show to start when one of the BMX guys that was gonna perform rode up to me and asked, "Hey does that thing work?" so I said YUP, I got 10 fresh D's in this baby! So he asked if I would provide the music for their performance, I was like Hell Yea!!! I was honored to play for these OG riders. So I cranked up a bunch of 80's jams for their show while they performed.

Great California weather, great people, and a lot of memories were shared with me by many that day. That's still the best part about collecting for me. The people. Its priceless to see the expressions on peoples faces when they see these boomboxes from back in the day. And I love hearing their stories and questions. Had a blast :-)

Here's my friends REDLINE GENERAL HUSTLER and the 931 and the rest of the shots. Get them boomboxess out there on the streetz and have a blast, peace everybody!

ANY AND ALL BIKE AND BOOMBOX PICTURES ARE WELCOME ON THIS THREAD, SO OF YOU HAVE A BEACH CRUISER, OR ANY OTHER BIKE AND BOOMBOX PIC, PLEASE POST EM!!! :thumbsup:View attachment 23801

The DJ and my LasonicView attachment 23797View attachment 23798

Bill Allen and myself, staying RAD!View attachment 23799View attachment 23800View attachment 23802View attachment 23803

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Come on man, is this for real!!! 2 of my hobbies in one session, so jelly right now.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
^ damn dude, the chrome is clean on that midschool GT. The gumwalls keep it looking classic too. Glad the straps get put to use :clap:

I built this '98 GT Pro Series 24" last winter:

IMG_3913.JPG

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
What a dream day............ Like a movie script for us Boombox fans - great read and photos man.

This thread got me thinking where my old Supergoose ever got to?!

James.... :-)

P.S what self respecting Boombox fan would take a non-functional Boombox to an outdoor event? - of course it works with a brand new set of 10Ds!! :-)

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
blu_fuz said:
^ damn dude, the chrome is clean on that midschool GT. The gumwalls keep it looking classic too. Glad the straps get put to use :clap:

I built this '98 GT Pro Series 24" last winter:

IMG_3913.JPG
Thanks man, I just need the decals and its pretty much done for now, that Pro Series you built is sick! You build bikes too? Theres nothing you can't do my friend! :thumbsup:

jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
What a dream day............ Like a movie script for us Boombox fans - great read and photos man.

This thread got me thinking where my old Supergoose ever got to?!

James.... :-)

P.S what self respecting Boombox fan would take a non-functional Boombox to an outdoor event? - of course it works with a brand new set of 10Ds!! :-)
Thanks James, hope you find your Supergoose! Grab a mini and go for a ride :-D Yea it was funny that he asked me if it worked, If it didn't, I might as well have been carrying a cinder block around :lol: Im glad the 931 was able to provide the tunes for BMX Freestyle Pioneers like Eddie Fiola, and Martin Aparijo :thumbsup:

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Brilliant write up, this really is a class story. BMX and boomboxes in one place = dream day out.

It's one of the best things about this hobby for me, getting out there with the boxes and doing what they were intended to do and you represented dude.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Yes sir, into all kinds of stuff I just can't help myself :cool: . Looks like you have plenty to do in your life too :yes:

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
T-STER said:
Brilliant write up, this really is a class story. BMX and boomboxes in one place = dream day out.

It's one of the best things about this hobby for me, getting out there with the boxes and doing what they were intended to do and you represented dude.
I agree. Sweet!!

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
T-STER said:

k2j said:
I agree. Sweet!!
trippy1313 said:
Sounds like a good day. Getting called out by the DJ too. I bet that was a cool feeling. Way to represent man.
Thanks for the big ups fellas, I just like to have fun with it all, makes for some really good times and even greater memories ;-)

blu_fuz said:
Yes sir, into all kinds of stuff I just can't help myself :cool: . Looks like you have plenty to do in your life too :yes:
Lol, Yea I'm the same way, always busy man :-) But wouldn't have it any other way.

Well since its a sunny day out here, and seeing Alan's bike and boomer pics, it gave me motivation to take the chrome outside and let it do what it does best, SHINE...enjoy ;-)View attachment 23820View attachment 23821View attachment 23822View attachment 23823