• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#61 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,658 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of nowhere!!

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:44 PM

Based on what I have, I would need to do a sound test. But from my speculations. The conion has super power and gets screaming loud. But the aiwa has a cleaner sound with productive bass. The M70 is another loud unit and distorts kinda soon. The aiwa disperses sound better through its 5 speaker system. The 777 is a cool sound. But the aiwa would kill it I think. Not sure about the not pictured 6400. But a side by side would be a better test. But in ending. Just buy 1. You'll be pleasantly surprised for what you get for the price.

Like Gordie I wonder how it does against the TDK 3 speaker. That was one of the best sounding new units I owned. The Altec Lansing was also a fantastic sounding unit.

Bad Boy Bill

#62 riker1068

riker1068
  • Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA Jacksonville

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:53 PM

Between the 2. I take aiwa for its sound. Looks the TDK.

#63 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,658 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of nowhere!!

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:12 PM

Between the 2. I take aiwa for its sound. Looks the TDK.

Cool so you have 3 speaker TDK? Awesome I had to cancel the aiwa I ordered cuz I didn't have funds but definitely want one to take place of the newer TDK because it's just not all it's cracked up to be.

Bad Boy Bill

#64 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,161 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:25 PM

Seen this youtube video where the guy can hear the Exos-9 from 600 meters away?!
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=dKDpffAgzXk

#65 riker1068

riker1068
  • Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:37 PM

I have the original 1st release 3 speaker from 2010 or 2011. Not the newer model. Which I think totally blows

#66 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,625 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:40 PM

The Aiwa has more power than any other 1-piece.  But of course that doesn't mean it can take full advantage of all that power.

#67 riker1068

riker1068
  • Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:26 AM

Sometimes you just want a good sound from a unit. And sometimes you just want a screamer.

#68 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:57 AM

Wow, this guy is on his second faulty Exos-9! Different faults in each unit too! :-(

The common fault between the two units is the inability to crank the unit whilst charging without the battery draining in the process.

He also estimates the battery runtime at only 1 hour when at max volume.

Hoping these are the only 2 faulty ones out there.
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=7BMya92tFpA

#69 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,625 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:00 AM

Who runs a boombox at max volume?  You can't anyway unless the bass is turned all the way down, which makes it sound like crap.

#70 hardmen

hardmen
  • Members
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationItapevi - São Paulo - Brasil

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:53 AM

Other customers don't report faults (I hope).
Some "testers" reporting they Aiwas sounds impressive, even when equalizer is in flat setup.

Lets see the things run.

Cheers.

#71 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:16 AM

Who runs a boombox at max volume? You can't anyway unless the bass is turned all the way down, which makes it sound like crap.

Actually many people run their Bluetooth speakers at max volume - most of these speakers have built in software that modifies the sound signature by taming the bass levels etc to avoid distortion. Many reviews say that some units actually need to be run at max to sound their best!

The Aiwa Exos-9 doesn't appear to have this fancy software thus allowing, at certain equaliser and volume settings, the exos-9 to fall into high levels of distortion - we as vintage boombox collectors accept distortion as the norm so know not to push the volume past 2/3rds on our vintage boxes.

#72 hardmen

hardmen
  • Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:20 PM

Mine as a trade between 5350 from William arrives last week...

Clean unit, real "soft" and DEFINTELY dosen't "sound like a boombox".

They don't come with chrome rings (like pics on web shows) but it's just time to me to change that...

I pull out the front grill, remove the rings and do some chrome spray paint... ...looks waayy better now.

Attached File  FB_IMG_1448237450057.jpg   30.95K   15 downloads
Attached File  FB_IMG_1448237563623.jpg   29.17K   14 downloads

A little video on Aiwa playing some 808 notches without front grill.

Definitely a MUST have for any "portable" audio collector, period.

Cheers.

#73 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,625 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:32 PM

Yep, definitely looks better with the chrome rings.  Would look even better with graffiti between the speakers.  Or maybe a carbon-fiber texture.  The existing surface is boring.

#74 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:58 AM

Wow, it looks like it really thumps!!!! Big horsepower on tap!!

Love D class amps!!!

James.... :-)

#75 Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller
  • Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg, Russia

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:17 AM

Looks better definitely!  :yes: I like it.

#76 hardmen

hardmen
  • Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:01 AM

Yep, definitely looks better with the chrome rings. Would look even better with graffiti between the speakers. Or maybe a carbon-fiber texture. The existing surface is boring.

I think on paint that area with metalic blue, try to approach with CS 880 on looks.

Cheers.

#77 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,883 posts
  • LocationSleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:32 AM

Yep, definitely looks better with the chrome rings.  Would look even better with graffiti between the speakers.  Or maybe a carbon-fiber texture.  The existing surface is boring.

I agree.  Large areas of black, shiny plastic look cheap & tasteless, portray an absence of character therefore (almost) totally uninteresting and have the appearance of mass production on a budget.  For the savvy, there could be a great opportunity here for adhesive vinyl decals or covers.

#78 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,625 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:45 AM

I think on paint that area with metalic blue, try to apprpach with CS 880 on looks.

Cheers.

That would look cool.  Can the chrome rings be removed before you paint?

#79 hardmen

hardmen
  • Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:53 AM

That would look cool. Can the chrome rings be removed before you paint?

Yes. Only tweeter ones I couldn't remove at the time.

Cheers.

#80 hardmen

hardmen
  • Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:16 AM

Another video.

This thing it's really impressive!

Cheers.

#81 hardmen

hardmen
  • Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:28 PM

Building a "real" handle!!

Attached File  IMG-20151203-WA0113.jpeg   42.04K   19 downloadsAttached File  IMG-20151203-WA0117.jpeg   39.63K   19 downloadsAttached File  IMG-20151203-WA0115.jpeg   29.41K   18 downloads

Cheers!!

#82 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,625 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:35 PM

Anyone take it apart to take pics?  And what's the code number on the amp chips?

#83 hardmen

hardmen
  • Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:38 PM

Anyone take it apart to take pics? And what's the code number on the amp chips?

I'm still not get courage for that... ...still...

Cheers

#84 hardmen

hardmen
  • Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:35 AM

And, a video showing the speaker working outdoors (hear the sound in a good sound system).

Cheers.

#85 hardmen

hardmen
  • Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

Attached File  edited_FB_IMG_1451304158719.jpg   32.98K   26 downloadsAttached File  CAM01194.jpg   91.79K   18 downloads

#86 SLO

SLO
  • Members
  • 2,227 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, Southern California

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:06 PM

And, a video showing the speaker working outdoors (hear the sound in a good sound system).

Cheers.

I've really been leaning toward buying one of these AIWA's, your customizations came out nice. I like the handle you made.

#87 hardmen

hardmen
  • Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

SLO.

We all here (me itself) are fall in love for ours OG radios... ...but for a day when you just came in home, powers on the speaker and press play in your mobile device (such Apple or Android) and just needs to hear sound (BIG SOUND), that one it's the ONE. (and belive me, that little "black box" can handle LOOOTS of DEEPER BASS).
They not have that "streets apeal" when you see, buts when you HEAR, you (like me) maybe make something for carry arround...

It'light to carry, the battery lasts REAL long and sounds REAL LOUD and clear... ...even with EQ setting OFF, they sounds good with nice bass, mids and highs...

If currency are not so high right now, I'm certainly get me another one, for an Stereo Link.

Cheers.

#88 Martin123

Martin123
  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationTHE GOLDEN STATE

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:46 PM

Hardmen,

I love your customizaion on this box. I think it does have street appeal if you remove the grill and paint the rings chrome like you did. And the handle you built is awesome. I got some heavy hitter boxes and this Exos is right up there with them. But when it comes to linking two exos together now were talking on a whole different level. I own two exos and linked them. My ears were ringing and it wasnt just loud. It has qaulity sound. It does not distort at maximum level (200watts 400watts linked). If your into turn tables or cassettes just use the line in. If I could link three Exos I would buy a third unit. They also offer an extended battery that lasts like 20 hours. All I can say is try it for yourself and if you're not happy the company will refund you 100% including your shipping. There's a reason it's a five star on Amazon. Joe Born Ceo understands the love of Boomboxes. That's why he's trying to become a member here but is having some issues. Sorry if I talk to much it's the caffeine. Lol  We're all brothers here!

An injury to one is an injury to all!

#89 SLO

SLO
  • Members
  • 2,227 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, Southern California

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:51 PM

SLO.

We all here (me itself) are fall in love for ours OG radios... ...but for a day when you just came in home, powers on the speaker and press play in your mobile device (such Apple or Android) and just needs to hear sound (BIG SOUND), that one it's the ONE. (and belive me, that little "black box" can handle LOOOTS of DEEPER BASS).
They not have that "streets apeal" when you see, buts when you HEAR, you (like me) maybe make something for carry arround...

It'light to carry, the battery lasts REAL long and sounds REAL LOUD and clear... ...even with EQ setting OFF, they sounds good with nice bass, mids and highs...

If currency are not so high right now, I'm certainly get me another one, for an Stereo Link.

Cheers.

I hear you bro, I love the nostalgia of all my classics, but your right, sometimes I just wanna feel some pounding bass. I'm just going to have to go for it and try one of these out. For the price, it sounds like a no brainer  :cool:

Hardmen,

I love your customizaion on this box. I think it does have street appeal if you remove the grill and paint the rings chrome like you did. And the handle you built is awesome. I got some heavy hitter boxes and this Exos is right up there with them. But when it comes to linking two exos together now were talking on a whole different level. I own two exos and linked them. My ears were ringing and it wasnt just loud. It has qaulity sound. It does not distort at maximum level (200watts 400watts linked). If your into turn tables or cassettes just use the line in. If I could link three Exos I would buy a third unit. They also offer an extended battery that lasts like 20 hours. All I can say is try it for yourself and if you're not happy the company will refund you 100% including your shipping. There's a reason it's a five star on Amazon. Joe Born Ceo understands the love of Boomboxes. That's why he's trying to become a member here but is having some issues. Sorry if I talk to much it's the caffeine. Lol  We're all brothers here!

Good to see you posting bro, and may I be the 1st to say :hi: to Boomboxery. I hope Joe can come on board here soon. It would be great to have him as a member here to answer questions or concerns about the EXOS. 

#90 Martin123

Martin123
  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationTHE GOLDEN STATE

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:38 PM

Thank you SLO,
My first time posting anything in my life. I love Boomboxes and I love brotherhood coming from a longshoreman