Sony reel-to-reel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Hey guys, the local Goodwill has a Sony TC-458 reel-to-reel for $12.99.

First off, is this R2R worth getting? It does appear to have some issues even though all the buttons and switches are there. It does power on and the motors appear to work when pressing play.

I've never owned a R2R so I don't know what to look for.

Second, if this thing needs some work, how much more difficult are these compared to regular boomboxes?

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
if it was a 558 I would say jump on it, the 558 is the one I was going to buy from my tech but I didn't have the money at the time and he ended up selling it,

If you do decide to pick it up, the tech I use can fix anything that may be wrong with it, I think they are more involved than fixing a boombox.

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
honestly replacing belts in these once you find them and you should be able to is pretty easy. i mean they are way bigger than a boombox.
if this sony does sound on sound i would say get it. i mean you can have a crude but cool tape echo for cheap if it does sos.
everything is bigger on these and well the motor is bigger ect ect.
they were made to last and should be pretty easy to put in order.

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
you need extra stuff to do sound on sound.
still it is cheap,but it does need work. they do look cool tho that is for sure.
its not a lot of money i would probably snag it and get it working if i had one come across me for that much money.

Status
Not open for further replies.