You ever drill a hole with a needle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
joe --industrial supply outfits sell drill bits of ANY tiny size --you could prolly order a .010 "-
even with a taper !

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Didn't need to, the needle worked perfect ;-). But thanks for the tip.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I will probably buy a set of micro bits and screws for repairs like this.

A needle is all I had hahahaha

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
JVC RC-M90 volume pot. No replacement, so it must be fixed, whatever it takes. I probably could have just glued them but wanted something that felt more like a permanent repair.

One of the metal feeler plates was broke off and the other just hanging on.

image.jpg

Fixed:
image.jpg

Sealed with RTV:
image.jpg

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
duckman said:
Ahh, necessity, the mother of invention! I've used a finishing nail on many occasion
Gotta ask tho, isn't it a tad offset to spin tight?
I too have used a finishing nail to drill a hole. I worked in the construction trades for years and that trick came in handy when hand finish nailing some projects together.

Yes, the needle was a tad offset because it was so small I needed to clamp it in the drill chuck with a real drill bit. There was enough flex in the needle once you got it up to speed it evened out well enough to drill a straight hole.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
blu_fuz said:
JVC RC-M90 volume pot. No replacement, so it must be fixed, whatever it takes. I probably could have just glued them but wanted something that felt more like a permanent repair.
One of the metal feeler plates was broke off and the other just hanging on.
image.jpg
Fixed:
image.jpg
Sealed with RTV:
image.jpg
Ya know that was my first thought but the spacing of the grooves on the side of the knob looked a little wide to be an m90. Maybe because the pic was zoomed in so close.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
The knob I use to hold the potentiometer isn't the original from the M90, but it is pretty close that's why you might have thought it was. I didn't want the needle to stab me in the finger after it went though the plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.