Sanyo Big Ben low volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy

Member (SA)
Sep 21, 2010
Hannover, Germany
Hey everyone,

I recently got a Big Ben :clap: But it has an issue. All the speakers seem to be working, including the 20cm woofer. I can sense a difference in sound when I play with the bass/treble controls, too. But even when I max out everything the output volume is pretty low. Mic mixing and line-in don't come through at all. It doesn't show the usual signs of dirty contacts. So far I have two theories:

1. it doesn't get enough power.

2. the issue has something to do with the inoperable logic tape deck, like it's actually half set to tape mode which prevents other signals from coming through.

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction, maybe?

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
If you really want to keep this bad boy (I think they're pretty cool, myself, :cool: ) then I would recommend buying a service manual from Norm. (www.analogalley.com) There's a really nice block diagram in it that would help you a lot.
You say you get no mic mixing or line in, and have a semi inoperable deck so I'm assuming all you get is radio. Do you still have normal line out functions? Just curious.

Zippy

Member (SA)
Sep 21, 2010
Hannover, Germany
The power plug has to sit just right to let it even power up when plugged to the wall socket and then there's static noise so I mainly tested the Big Ben on batteries. The issues occured both ways. I haven't checked line-out, will do!

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
Sazeus said:
Yeah, buy one then post it on here for everyone!
That would be giving away the hard work of another member for free. :nonono:

Much better to support everything that Norm does for us by actually purchasing one at www.analogalley.com. It's one thing to post a cheap, non-copy written, low-res scan of a manual dug out of the recesses of the internet. Quite another to post one of Norm's masterpieces that he works so hard on.

Dig deep, guys. It's an investment.

Sazeus

Member (SA)
Mar 21, 2012
Melbourne Australia
That would be giving away the hard work of another member for free. :nonono:

Much better to support everything that Norm does for us by actually purchasing one at www.analogalley.com. It's one thing to post a cheap, non-copy written, low-res scan of a manual dug out of the recesses of the internet. Quite another to post one of Norm's masterpieces that he works so hard on.

Dig deep, guys. It's an investment.
Nope. I will never buy a manual from Norm. Non copy written? How can that possibly be appealing? And how can he copywrite them, did Norm write the manuals?
If I can read a low res scan perfectly well why would I pay an exorbitant rate for the same thing?
I think charging members money for info on how to fix/bring their boxes back to life goes against the idea of boomboxery. I don't try to charge norm when he asks for info on a rare box. Hell, I even send members parts for free because others have done it for me.

If you have a manual you should share it I say. Fatdog has the right idea with the archive, it's a bit sad others won't contribute.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
if the power cord socked is acting up it could stop power flow on ac/dc because it switches between the 2 when you insert the cord or remove it. that would be the first thing to check because intermittent contact could be the problem.

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
JVC Floyd said:
if the power cord socked is acting up it could stop power flow on ac/dc because it switches between the 2 when you insert the cord or remove it. that would be the first thing to check because intermittent contact could be the problem.
Sounds like the first place I'd check too..

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
If people want to share a manual for free, great!

Norm had to buy, store, host, and scan every page of every manual - He should be charging for a copy, as he is. We are lucky that a member even has them and is willing to make the manual available.

Remember how much free info and troubleshooting this guy has done for everyone.

restocat

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2010
New Mexico, USA
Sazeus said:
Nope. I will never buy a manual from Norm. Non copy written? How can that possibly be appealing? And how can he copywrite them, did Norm write the manuals?
If I can read a low res scan perfectly well why would I pay an exorbitant rate for the same thing?
I think charging members money for info on how to fix/bring their boxes back to life goes against the idea of Boomboxery. I don't try to charge norm when he asks for info on a rare box. Hell, I even send members parts for free because others have done it for me.

If you have a manual you should share it I say. Fatdog has the right idea with the archive, it's a bit sad others won't contribute.
You are intermixing Norm and his business, analog alley. If you do not want to support his business, fine. But dont diss Norm just because he has a business in the same area as his hobby. Analog Alley does not have to work for free for you, no matter how sad you get.

restocat

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2010
New Mexico, USA
Zippy said:
Hey everyone,

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction, maybe?
I am having a similar issue with a sony. It remains at about 10% power unless I put the tape/fm/line in switch between settings.

Sazeus

Member (SA)
Mar 21, 2012
Melbourne Australia
restocat said:
You are intermixing Norm and his business, analog alley. If you do not want to support his business, fine. But dont diss Norm just because he has a business in the same area as his hobby. Analog Alley does not have to work for free for you, no matter how sad you get.
I don't believe I dissed anyone. Just stated my thoughts.

Zippy

Member (SA)
Sep 21, 2010
Hannover, Germany
JVC Floyd said:
Thanks for the lead Floyd, I'll try to check that out. If that's the cause, will it be visible? I'm not experienced, will I be able to fix such a problem or should I bring it to a shop?

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Zippy said:
Thanks for the lead Floyd, I'll try to check that out. If that's the cause, will it be visible? I'm not experienced, will I be able to fix such a problem or should I bring it to a shop?
Super simple fix if that's the cause (unlikely but possible). Take the back off and slide out/unscrew the AC plug and check the switch that's pushed up when the AC cable is inserted. That switch disables the DC supply.

Spray some cleaner in there and manually push the switch up and down and make sure it's not sticking. Also check the two AC pins and make sure they are solid and not moveable. Also spray some cleaner on those pins. I would also check your cable to ensure it's the correct size etc for the big Sanyo.

Good luck,

James.... :-)

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
also that full logic deck could cause signal problems if the record bar is either stuck between functions /open/closed. i have seen record bars stop the signal so that virtually no sound comes out .

Status
Not open for further replies.