Can anyone Explain Sanyo "Auto-Loudness"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eli

Member (SA)
Maybe someone can enlighten me?
I recently obtained a Sanyo M7300K. A very nice box. Bigger than a mini--smaller than a medium size box--alot of features.
Actually sounds excellent for it's size...
006.JPG

Lettered next to one side of the volume control knob is the term "auto loudness" ...004.JPG

There is nothing special to activate this 'auto loudness' other than the volume knob--does this work on auto-pilot--? Is it merely a feel good phrase as in "new and improved" or what? If anyone could fill me in on What the ---- "auto-loudness" is and what it does I would really appreciate it....this is something totally new on me---
thanks very kindly in advance....

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
A lot of lower end boxes had that feature. The loudness is max at low volume and lessens as you turn up the volume dropping to 'loudness off' at around 5/10.

You see it more in boxes from the mid eighties onwards. It's certainly not a feature unique to Sanyo.

eli

Member (SA)
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
A lot of lower end boxes had that feature. The loudness is max at low volume and lessens as you turn up the volume dropping to 'loudness off' at around 5/10.

You see it more in boxes from the mid eighties onwards. It's certainly not a feature unique to Sanyo.
Wow--
Thanks very, very much for the information---this little box actually sounds much better--in a manner of speaking---deeper at around 3-4 and this must be the reasoning.
Apparently loudness--like time is fluid in the universe--?

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
Not that I want to hijack your thread, but even the larger Sanyo units have this feature, I'm thinking. My Big Ben has the word "Loudness" written so that it curves around the beginning of the volume knob, and I know something's wrong because I get NO bass until the super woofer kicks in at 5.0 to 6.0 on a scale of 10. I've tested the volume pot and the bass pot and they seem to function correctly. I have even replaced them and gotten no change in symptoms. Anyone have this same problem?

DSC05287.JPG

If someone has any info, we can start a new thread...might as well anyway.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
duckman said:
That would be my thought too. Would automatically decrease bass output as volume increases? An interesting and unique(?) bit of circuitry if that is the case.
100%. As you crank up the volume, the circuit pulls the bass out to lessen distortion.

Kenpat said:
Not that I want to hijack your thread, but even the larger Sanyo units have this feature, I'm thinking. My Big Ben has the word "Loudness" written so that it curves around the beginning of the volume knob, and I know something's wrong because I get NO bass until the super woofer kicks in at 5.0 to 6.0 on a scale of 10. I've tested the volume pot and the bass pot and they seem to function correctly. I have even replaced them and gotten no change in symptoms. Anyone have this same problem?

DSC05287.JPG

If someone has any info, we can start a new thread...might as well anyway.
Maybe time to give the super woofer it's own volume knob :w00t: :yes:

eli said:
It's really a shame that none of the designer's documented their thoughts when working on their boombox projects---there is so little evidence on the why of so much of the elements we deal with-----
It really is, BUT, this was such a fast moving fire storm of, DESIGN, MANUFACTURE, SELL AND MOVE TO THE NEXT MODEL that they never thought in a million years we would be here 30+ years later trying to repair this stuff.

The biggest gripe about these items is they were "Japanese Throw-A-Way Junk". Meaning, non serviceable, non repairable, so cheap you could just buy another one. No one would have thought they would become high valued, highly coveted AND REPAIRED pieces of art work.

SpaceLobster

Member (SA)
Jan 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
My Toshiba 9990 has something similiar, I think it's called "auto-loudness", but its more of a cap-off mechanism, say there's a song that starts of very low and has a big drop or sudden loud noise, the 9990 would automatically lower the volume at the drop. Sometimes this can be annoying as you crank the box for that drop, and then instead of a massive "BOOOOOOOOM" of bass you get "bom".

Peace

TW5

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
I noticed there is a notch on the volume ring and a stripe ring below the notch.
the loudness works in that area
there will be more bass boost the lower the volume.
which makes the music sound more even at different volumes.

as for the AUTO it may have some automatic sound level control in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.