Newbie with a Sharp GF8989 saying hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllH

Member (SA)
Mar 29, 2015
Hull, UK.
Hi Guys,

Newbie just getting into the oldskool world of boombox's.

I have just got my first boombox, a Sharp GF8989. Got it Via ebay for £45. hoping thats not a bad price..

I live in yorkshire in the UK, 36 Y-Old and been wanting a classic boom box for years so have finally took the leap.

Hoping you guys can help me with a few newbie things such as where to get those cool reel 2 reel style cassette's and whats the best way to get rid of static from dials and slider's on my boombox?

Anyways, glad to be here and looking forward to making a few contacts in the process. :)

Kind regards,

Elliott

Attachments

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
Hey Elliot, that 8989 looks in good order, I would say 45 was a very fair price :yes:

With regard to the reel cassettes its just a matter of timing (like everything), ive seen them for a fiver up to £50/60 but nearly always abroad.
I ended up making my own as im to tight to shell out for some from the US :lol:

EllH

Member (SA)
Mar 29, 2015
Hull, UK.
Hey bud. Glad I didn't pay to much.. It's a bit smoke stained at the moment so I'm planning on stripping it and cleaning it all down soon.. Just need to figure out the best way to sort out the static on the volume etc too.

I honestly never thought of making them tbh.. I shall check that out though. Your not joking about cassette prices on ebay.. I found what I thought was a bargain at £4 so bought it there and then.... Turns out is only a c15! Lol

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.

EllH

Member (SA)
Mar 29, 2015
Hull, UK.
Good advice mate. I'll pop a thread up tomorrow and see if anyone can help. I think once I sort that and give this 8989 a clean down it should be a good box..

Having said that tho I'm after buying more units.. Gonna maybe try n get two or three more.. Just checked out your link in your sig! You have some pretty awesome stereos! if u part with any let me know :)

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Hey Elliot welcome, like the GF8989, these are great boxes with a lovely look.

For scratchy pots try Deoxit or Servisol. Servisol is cheaper and works fine but I find Deoxit tho expensive is pretty bloody amazing.

Nice to have another UK guy on board :)

EllH

Member (SA)
Mar 29, 2015
Hull, UK.
Hi guys thanks for the welcomes :)

I have actually just bought another stereo too.. so im already up to two, with a third in the pipeline!

I have took your advice and got an aerosol can of that cleaner... man, you wasn't kidding.. £20 !!

Glad to see a few UK chaps on here too, always a good sign! :)

EllH

Member (SA)
Mar 29, 2015
Hull, UK.
trippy1313 said:
Welcome!!! Don't forget to post some pics. Nice to have ya.
Will do, to be honest I am waiting on them being delivered still so as soon as they get here and I have cleaned them up I will pop some pictures up deffo :)

EllH

Member (SA)
Mar 29, 2015
Hull, UK.
Thanks everyone for the welcomes, def looking forwards to kickstarting my collection off...

I shall see you on Friday as well Aaron, to pick up what will be the third box in my collection! ;)

systemaddict

Member (SA)
Mar 26, 2014
East Coast England
EllH said:
Thanks everyone for the welcomes, def looking forwards to kickstarting my collection off...

I shall see you on Friday as well Aaron, to pick up what will be the third box in my collection! ;)
Awesome, you can check out the mighty sound of my philips d8614 too :thumbsup:

EllH

Member (SA)
Mar 29, 2015
Hull, UK.
Thanks for all the welcomes on here guys!

Just thought I would give you guys an update..

I have managed to restore my Sharp GF8989 to half decent condition, re sprayed the grilles and stripped it all down and cleaned everything. Stop a few things to do on it though, gonna need to swap out the belts and the stop button doesn't always work when you are playing a cassette.

On another note I got an awesome box from another Member on here, a supercool Unisef 5000, It needed a few things doing as the volume was scratchy and the power button was tempermental.. but I hav stripped that down too and used electrical cleaner on the graphic EQ and volume. works a treat now. The power button also works 95 percent of the time. Very happy with that box indeed!

Im also getting a Philips D8614 hopefully this weekend too.

I will pop some pictures up of them all shortly.. :)

Im also on the look out for other box's if anyone is selling any then give me a shout :D

Anyways, just thought I would give you guys an update so far and thanks again for all the warm welcomes!

Status
Not open for further replies.