Visiting the Dubby Mad Sound Shop in Shibuya, Tokyo

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
I recently visited the amazing city Tokyo with a good friend of mine.
And once again the hobby of collecting boomboxes proved itself as a hobby that connects people in the whole world.
First of all I would like to thank Geoff (not sure if he's a member here but he does post on s2g once in a while) who showed us some of the coolest places in the city and spent two great days with us.
Then the most surprising thing happened. I saw that Scott from Australia posted a photo on FB that showed him being in Japan. I quickly messaged him and it turned out that he was in Tokyo, too. So we met up and had a great night in Shibuya. probably the craziest coincidence imaginable.

What I wanna tell you guys about though is the recent boombox store development in Tokyo. I am sure many of you guys remember Turbo Sonic. The store used to be in Koenji but apparently moved to Ebisu sometime around 2010. However, it no longer exists. :(
BUT here's the good news. In central Shibuya, there is a small store hidden on the second floor of a building in a small street: Dubby Mad Sound Shop! (Thanks to Peter Engel for pointing it out to me!)
IMG_4253.JPG

This is what the store front looks like:
IMG_4254.JPG

Hiding behind that door is a very impressive collection of (not only domestic Japanese) boomboxes and the owner Kenji. We spent an hour chatting and had many good laughs. He is also one of the guys responsible for the Japanese boombox design book that many of you guys probably heard of.
Here are some pictures of his store:
IMG_4244.JPG
IMG_4245.JPG
IMG_4251.JPG
IMG_4249.JPG

So thanks a lot, Kenji! :)
If any of you guys are in Tokyo sometime soon, be sure to check out his store. (www.monk.co.jp)
IMG_4247.JPG

howie1976

Member (SA)
Nov 14, 2014
SoCal
Thanks for sharing your awesome story. Boomboxery does make the world of collecting boomboxes a lot smaller.

Wow! I never thought there would be a modern day store that would sell boomboxes. Is it the only one of its kind? Did you buy anything? What are the prices like?

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Max, you are lookin good buddy! Slimming down. Remember the girls like meaty dudes so beef up a little.

Oh yeah, great job meeting up with him!

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
Nice pics. and it's a pleasure to meet Kenji.

Hope someday JVC can build a limited edition of an M-90 as a once in life time anniversary to the birth of Boomboxes.

One can only dream. :(

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
blu_fuz said:
Max, you are lookin good buddy! Slimming down. Remember the girls like meaty dudes so beef up a little.

I didnt think that was him, looks nothing like the old pics he posted years ago! :hmmm:

That GF-909 box is kool.. :cool:

stereomad

Member (SA)
Apr 9, 2012
crawley
blu_fuz said:
Blu..... That's not max lol

eli

Member (SA)
What an excellent post and photo's---thank you so much for putting this up---I have a copy of his book on Japanese boombox design--
had to order it used from Japan--it's getting hard to find now---wish i could actually read it but---great photography in it.
thanks again for the posting---very cool!

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
Lookin' good, Max! Thanks for this story from your trip. :cool:

Great boomboxes, new friends, sounds like a great time was had by all! I guess you probably didn't buy any, as all the big ones looked like models you have already owned... :hmmm:

nikonfoo

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
Hey Max
Was great to meet up with you while you were here
This is me on BOOMBOXERY
keep in touch :breakdance:

Geoff

stereomad

Member (SA)
Apr 9, 2012
crawley
Omg...
Max I saw the pics on my iPhone and after reading your last post I enlarged the pic and yes it is you.....you must be spending all your money on boomboxes rather than food! Man you look sooooo different!!!!!!

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
How cool Max! Geoff is a great guy and I have bought parts from him; always a pleasure to talk to.
So cool that you got to hang to hang out in Tokyo!!☺📟📼📻