Help repair Panasonic boombox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namtraf

Member (SA)
Mar 21, 2015
Staten Island, NY
Hello. This is my first post here. I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have 2 Panasonic boomboxes, a RX-F33 and a RX-FT530A, that need repairs. I discussed the problems at length on another message board.

Here is the link:

http://www.stereo2go.com/topic/help-repair-panasonic-boombox

If you would like more information about my boombox issues, please read that thread. I don't feel like re-writing that entire thread here. As a newbie, I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting the above link. If I am, I apologize.

I am located in Staten Island, NY. Specifically, I am looking for a reputable boombox repair technician in my area (the metro New York City area). Can anyone here recommend anyone?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Hi there! I read through your posts on the other site.

Even if you do manage to locate a willing electronics repair shop, you'll probably pay them as much to diagnose and repair it as you did when you originally bought it new.

As I'm sure you're well aware, working on these can quickly become frustrating if you're not prepared. You need the right tools, you need to take ample notes, pictures, and keep track of all parts organized and labeled. If you've got the patience and will to get these fixed on your own, we'd be happy to walk you through the process if you provide all of the information asked of you.

Another option is purchasing another boombox, if you don't have too much sentimental value attached to the ones you have.

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Here's a good place to start (as far st as the 570 is concerned):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYqEGEyJDqA

A lot of Panny's use this single-motor setup for their dual deck units. By "Boombox" standards, they're pretty easy to work on.
Poke around the sites (especially Boomboxery, of course!). You'll learn a lot more.

*Hint: In reference to the F33, "Record Bar" = Record Switch. It's behind the deck (inside the radio). Clean it.

Namtraf

Member (SA)
Mar 21, 2015
Staten Island, NY
caution said:
Hi there! I read through your posts on the other site.

Even if you do manage to locate a willing electronics repair shop, you'll probably pay them as much to diagnose and repair it as you did when you originally bought it new.

As I'm sure you're well aware, working on these can quickly become frustrating if you're not prepared. You need the right tools, you need to take ample notes, pictures, and keep track of all parts organized and labeled. If you've got the patience and will to get these fixed on your own, we'd be happy to walk you through the process if you provide all of the information asked of you.

Another option is purchasing another boombox, if you don't have too much sentimental value attached to the ones you have.
Hi caution,

Thank you taking an interest in my problems and reading my posts on the other site.

I have, in fact, found a repair shop in my area. In a PM, a member here referred me to another member who knows a repair technician in my area. I will be contacting him soon.

I hope it doesn't cost too much to repair my boomboxes. The whole problem here is that you can't buy a new one, at least, not one like those (with those features, etc.). The new ones are junk. I noticed a decline (in terms of quality, features, etc.) between my RX-F33 (which I bought new in 1984) and my RX-FT530A (which I bought new, possibly NOS?, about 8 years ago). If I was able to buy a brand new one (equivalent to my RX-F33) today, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Thank you for offering to walk me through the repair process. But I don't think I have the proper tools. And what about supplies (cleaning solutions, etc.)? I may wind up spending more money on tools and supplies than paying someone else to repair it for me.

I don't have any sentimental value attached to these boomboxes. But I love the RX-F33 model. That's why, when it developed problems, I tried to purchase the most similar new model I could find at that time (a RX-FT530A).

If I were to attempt to repair them on my own, what tools and supplies would I need?

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
It depends on the issue, if it requires soldering to fix, such as faulty solder joints or replacing a part, you'll need an iron and some solder at the very least. It would also help a lot to have a meter, but again it depends on the nature of the problem. If the box just turns out to be dirty, and I think it might be, you might want to start with what the guy on the other site suggested, the record bar.

The record bar is a long metal component (looks like a bar) that can simultaneously switch a large number of connections, a requirement in most boomboxes to be able to switch between all of the different circuits necessary for recording and those for playback. With so many audio paths passing through it, issues with volume and whatnot can be because it's gotten corroded and/or dirty. A couple shots of contact cleaner would likely clear that up if that was the problem. I can tell you from first-hand experience that it solved nearly the same issue on at least one occasion. It's pretty common and a cheap thing to try. A popular brand is Deoxit, but others will likely do just as well, as long as they're specifically labeled for use with electronics.

You might notice that pressing the record button on boomboxes seems to take a little more effort than the other buttons. That's because you're pushing/pulling on this long switch. You'll likely see some sort of linkage between it and the record button.

For tools it's good to have at least the right sized screwdrivers, a small flashlight, one of those little inspection mirrors on a handle, a couple long steel dental picks to replace belts and to get in those tight spots helps immensely. Maybe a little craft box with lots of compartments to hold screws and whatnot. A marker, tape, baggies, whatever helps.

Here's one in the radio I'm working on right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.