Photo

M70 & M90 with hardwired bluetooth module mod.

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#61 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:50 PM

Correct, series in circuit on the (+) side.

And I managed to finish with the wiring! Did some tests and for now everything is working good.

Woooohooooo

Here is the location of that connector with the 12v (+) red wire, and the common/ground (-) black wire.
Attached File  image.jpg   128.21K   17 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   80.32K   15 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   46.26K   12 downloads

I really tried to solder my leads to the existing pads but there really is such little room there and really small solder points.
Red (+) wire pin:
Attached File  image.jpg   70.12K   10 downloads

Black (-) wire pin:
Attached File  image.jpg   73.94K   16 downloads

I took the easy route and stripped the wire casing back enough to wind and solder my wires to the existing ones. I ran out of heat shrink awhile ago so I used electrical tape.
Attached File  image.jpg   76.25K   11 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   66.69K   6 downloads

#62 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,925 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

The only thing about the RCA jacks that I would've tried differently would be to first try tapping at the location prior to the resistor.  If you are worried about bypassing that coupling capacitor, you could always have added another one in series.  The resistor, at 27k effectively isolates it enough from ground that the bluetooth tap should work, especially if it has a low enough output impedance capability the new tap location, at least was worth testing.  That would've left those jacks unmolested and the grounding pins working properly.  The other alternative, if removing the ground was the only option, was to simply remove the solder from the jack pins.  That alone probably would have sufficed to divorce that switch from ground.

#63 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:01 PM

^ I do wish I would have tried that so bending that tab in the RCA jack would not have been done. It might be the way I do my next BT mod M70.

I don't think removing the solder from the jack ground pins would be the right thing to do. Wouldn't that make plugging an actual RCA cord into the line-in not work? I want the jack to still function if a non BT device needs to be tethered to the input with a cord.

Now, I can finish cleaning/detailing the radio and get it back together. I might still try to add a LED to the BT switch to power on with it and shine by the tuner window or other discrete spot.

#64 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,925 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:11 PM

That's what you call small solder joints and tight location, lol.  Dude, with all the tinkering you do, you REALLY need to get a better "electronic" solder pencil.  A decent temperature controlled one is sooo very nice since it moderates the power so that it always stays just hot enough but not so hot when it's sitting on the stand unused for more than a few minutes that it starts smoking and vaporizing the tip coating.  But if you don't want to spring the $50 (or whatever they cost nowadays for a good one), a decent Weller or Hakko pencil could be purchased on the cheap, probably $15 or so.  Without a decent one, a repair such as your 5350 would have been really difficult.  I mean, imagine trying to do all those connections under that tuning wheel, or at multiple IC pins, some next to each other.

#65 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:19 PM

I am currently using a pencil tip variable temp iron and I still can't get a decent connection on those small pads. Better lighting and kids yanking at my ankles would have maybe made it possible hahahaha. Oooh I love kids.

#66 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,925 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:31 PM

Well small kids and soldering irons don't make a good mix.

#67 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:24 AM

It's tough to work on things like this in the house. My workbench in the garage is a disaster right now because I'm working on our kitchen too. Tools are just piled up.

Thanks for following along to give me some tips.

The only problem I am having is the new switch isn't perfectly in the center of the top panel cutout. The switch cap is binding up on the sides of the top panel hole. I'll need to adjust the bracket and get it moved before finishing.

#68 Lasonic TRC-920

Lasonic TRC-920
  • Moderators
  • 14,097 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:19 PM

Great thread guys!

#69 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:39 PM

This is as good as she will get! The crusty tape residue by the AC jack didn't want to come off. Some of the paint did :-/ .

I am uploading the final video and here are some pictures. Its complete and fully working (besides the record mute). 1 antenna tip missing, scuffs and dings, but a pretty good daily 'take anywhere' BT true ghettoblaster! Freak your friends out with a BT vintage boombox, I can't wait.

Attached File  image.jpg   66.48K   9 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   70.28K   13 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   72.4K   9 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   78.21K   9 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   79.05K   12 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   75.96K   12 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   119.99K   13 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   85.64K   10 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   94.31K   9 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   83.64K   12 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   74.65K   16 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   78.13K   12 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   82.85K   11 downloads

#70 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:48 PM

Vid.

Notice when you power on the BT module is makes a little 'blue-da-di' noise.

This is an excellent mod. The audio level seems loud in the recording but it really wasn't in person thats why the meters aren't swinging. Wife and kids are sleeping so I couldn't rock out with it.

Enjoy.

#71 trippy1313

trippy1313
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,976 posts
  • LocationSeattle-Tacoma, WA

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:31 PM

Awesome!!! wohoo!!! I gotta find me a switch to replace my rec/mute mute button now. Nice work Joe. Let us know how good the range on it is when you get a chance to crank it up a little more.

#72 Lasonic TRC-920

Lasonic TRC-920
  • Moderators
  • 14,097 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:56 AM

This is a great thread.

I really think you did a great job explaining it and I think the average person could follow your instructions and do this.

TOP WORK JOE!  :thumbsup:  :hooray:

#73 trippy1313

trippy1313
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:30 PM

This is a great thread.

I really think you did a great job explaining it and I think the average person could follow your instructions and do this.

TOP WORK JOE! :thumbsup: :hooray:

Exactly, even your average Joe could do it. Good thing we've got a better than average Joe here!

#74 howie1976

howie1976
  • Members (SA)
  • 598 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

It's a drug to help with boombox addiction. It's mislabeled as BOXODONT.

"BOX

#75 howie1976

howie1976
  • Members (SA)
  • 598 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:42 PM

"BOXODONT"

#76 howie1976

howie1976
  • Members (SA)
  • 598 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:45 PM

"BOXODONT"😃 I need some of that to give to all my local boombox collecting friends so I can limit my competition! That way they won't beat me to the rare Craigslist deals that come up. Here's lookin at you SLO!!!!😃😜😝😎

#77 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:53 PM

Thanks guys! This is exactly what I was hoping to do for everyone. Make it as simple as possible and not introducing too many new parts and pieces into the equation.

I did a range test outside....

140ft unobstructed BT signal range!!!!!

I also tested in my house and on any of the 3 floors above grade or the basement, the BT signal never gets lost in the 2200sq ft limits.

#78 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:57 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   99.3K   8 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   138.99K   5 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   122.8K   8 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   90.88K   8 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   117.54K   12 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   88.4K   10 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   93.3K   14 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   131.29K   11 downloads

#79 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,566 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:12 PM

Wow, 140 ft range is fantastic. The inside test of it working on 3 separate levels is very impressive also. I think I may have to try one of these things.

Thanks for your efforts and info.

James.... :-)

#80 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

Hell yeah, anytime!

Today has turned into a construction, electrical, BT jamfest! Today is a great day!!!!Attached File  image.jpg   90.49K   9 downloads

#81 trippy1313

trippy1313
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:04 PM

Wow, that's unbelievable range! I'm gonna be honest that module looked pretty funky, but wowzas that's impressive, my little one I hook up to the outside of the box starts cutting out at the opposite room of the house (single story, 25ish feet away.)

#82 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:16 AM

I wonder if it gets better range because of the robust power supply.

#83 caution

caution
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,989 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:57 PM

Dang, I need to keep up on my threads more, great hackin' there :-) I need to try this module. I agree with Norm, just isolate the ground node for the input jacks, but don't unsolder the connector tabs since they double as mechanical support, just cut the copper puddle on the board with a knife where it tapers down and find a new location for the wire soldered to it between R721 and C821:

16711194739_4407bd8a96_o.jpg

Might have to do some more slicing around the tabs to separate them from each other at the connector too. Maybe I'll post something for this when I get in and do mine.

I used a 7812 voltage regulator to drive my meter board, and even though it usually draws close to an amp when the LEDs are on it never gets too hot to touch. Regulators are cheap and avoids having to tap into the box's circuitry.

#84 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:50 PM

Cool man.

I guess my simple mind still wonders why bending that tab hurts anything. Is what I did safe? Did it damage anything? Will it effect the radio in a bad way the more it is used?

Seems like it could be done a few ways ;-)

#85 caution

caution
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:00 PM

Woops I drew that wrong, I was just trying to show how you could isolate those annoying pins from grounding the center pin when nothing is plugged in by instead cutting the copper on the board without removing any solder. Here's what I meant to show.

16898654605_f22ff1fbaf_b.jpg

This way the pins stay soldered and continue to give mechanical support, and it would be easier to back out of this route, you could just bridge that gap with some solder later and you're back in business.

But yeah, totally more than one way :-)

#86 caution

caution
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:10 PM

If you are thinking of a better iron I picked up this one last year, it comes with a bunch of different sized tips that make it easy to get at small stuff and it gets plenty hot since it's lead-free capable. It was this or the X-TRONIC 4010-XTS but this one looked like it was constructed better. It's worked out well!

#87 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

Thanks for the diagram. I see what you mean now.

#88 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:36 AM

This company is robbing people. They jacked the price of the BT module to $50 already! Wow what a rip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351186481167

I also wanted to share that usually with the rechargeable BT dongles that attach with a cord, just about every one the audio signal volume is LOWER than if you tethered your MP3 player direct with a cord.

This BT module must have an amplifier in it. Audio signal level is HIGHER with this. Not overly loud, but enough to notice that all the audio quality is there and gives you more options to really dial in the sound and volume.

#89 trippy1313

trippy1313
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:40 AM

They must have found this thread. I looked at the price just Saturday and it was still $30.

But that's pretty crazy range. I'm surprised especially since there aren't any specs on it anywhere, even from other sellers. I was hoping price would go down not up.

EDIT: Well I just looked again, and Saturday when I looked around there was four or five sellers with this item. Now I only see it from the one. Wierd.

#90 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:56 AM

The ebay seller would have no way of knowing about this thread LOL.

I too was hoping the price would come down, way down. I messaged the seller about buying in bulk or at least getting the last 2 they have at a discounted rate from my purchase price.

Like you said, there are no specs anywhere for these so we don't know how it would compare to another maybe cheaper BT module until we actually try it. The inline fuse and RCA wires are not worth the extra cost, I do like having the inline fuse though. I also don't like that the module is fully encased with that black shrink plastic because I want to see what the module is and I don't know if that effects how hot it runs.

I used the BT for about 5 hours straight Saturday with the music cranked pretty high, if there would have been an issue it would have shown then. But everything is all good.

I built this M70 simply to put the BT in and test, then to sell. I already have (4) M70 series boxes and I also bought another one last night. Now I will have 6 of them here. As soon as I can get more BT modules at a decent price, then I will sell this one.