Helix HX-4700 Custom THE BUILD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Hey Guys,

If you saw this thread: Helix HX-4700 Complete Overhaul then you know what I did to member Mac Daddy Freshness' radio.

I completed that radio in at the beginning of December 2014. I immediately started work on my Helix HX-4700. As you saw in this thread: Helix HX-4700 Custom I just finished it.

This radio got everything Mac Daddy Freshness' radio got PLUS a whole lot more.

The basic run down:

The original digital clock was missing, so I found a new digital clock Details Here. The new clock is also a battery gauge and temperature sensor that I used for outside temp. The new clock uses the original "Set / Adjust" buttons

Added flashing LED to Alarm system sensor window

Added full LED lighting behind selector / power switches, illuminated EQ, Cassette Decks, Tweeter grills, Mid range grills, Deck Counter, Headphone & Mic Jacks, Cassette Keys, Tuner Dial, added sound activated glow cord to woofer and mid speakers and added blue LED's to top L/R corners pointed straight down to give "Hovering" effect when radio is sitting on the ground.

Added plug in cassette storage bay for Bluetooth receiver.

I re-purposed the "Beat Cut" switch for the LED lighting on/off switch

So, to start with, the first radio I ever "Really fell in love with" was the Realistic SCR-8 with it's MASSIVE VU meters. When I got my TRC-920, it had opposing LED VU's and also has a Tuner Dial light, which at the time I thought was the coolest thing in the world. As time went on and other fantastic designs came out, radio's like the Discolite just mesmerized as did the J1. But ever since I first got my 920, my minds eye saw so much more.

Fast forward today...

If you flip through the custom section of this site you can spend hours drooling and dreaming in complete awe at the work being done by the members here. There are pictures of WALL's of radio's, all the very best of the factory LED VU meter's all bouncing at the same time. Member CplChronic's totally insane mega builds, complete portable nightclubs in your hands.

So, after 30 years, I decided I would follow my minds eye.

First I had to learn about LED's. Knowing what I wanted in my head and the effect I was going for AND not wanting to simply do a copy / rip off of someone else's idea's, I set to work asking Superduper some questions and then researched the answers he gave me.

Since the LED's I chose to use are Focused Lens type, they needed to be located and pointed at the area of which I wanted to illuminate. As it turns out, that was not as easy as I first thought.

The hardest part was getting lighting behind Button Selector and EQ without interfering with the operation of the moving parts AND not having the LED's blind the person standing in front of the radio. To achieve that I had to create a defuser system on the LED's in those sections as well as the cassette deck counter.

I started by wiring up items in sections and then ran the sections to a central PC board that got power from the "Beat Cut" switch with a fuse on it.

20150124_163652.jpg

20150124_163649.jpg

This is one of the tweeter covers, with two LED's and a series of resisters needed to set the voltage correctly for each number of LED's being used.

20141216_162240.jpg20141216_162255.jpg

Next was adding LED's to the mid range grills, creating a "Block" of LED's for each.
20141216_162300.jpg

Once each section or "Block" had the LED's with resistors soldered up, they were tested and then installed into the radio. All the power lines where then run to the new PC board with fuse.

20150124_163655.jpg

You can see how I made my own power rails on the new PC Board, so all I had to do was run wires to the new PC Board and solder to the +/- rails.
20150124_164435.jpg20150124_165532.jpg

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Some of the problems I ran into were the fact that where I needed to put the LED's behind the EQ board, there were other components there. So I had to un-solder them and move them to the other side of the board to make room to get the LED's in.

The LED's had to be at a 45 degree angle to get them to illuminate the sliders without pointing straight out.

The LED's that illuminate the buttons had to also be positioned so they would encircle the button port, giving a glow all the way around. This required making custom PC boards (not pictured) to hold them at the correct spacing and angle AND out of the way of the movement of the button, which took many hours of trial and error.

The LED's in the headphone and mic jacks point straight out like spot lights, but the jacks themselves are still use able. As it turns out, the plastic on the back of the jacks was CLEAR allowing me to put the LED's behind the jacks and shine through.

The LED's in the cassette decks were simple and only required 4 small holes to be drilled in the top of the cassette carriage pointing straight down. They ad to the "Hover Effect" I was going for.

20150226_214055.jpg

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I added the flashing light in the alarm sensor window to imitate a car alarm system. Kind of as a joke. I tapped into the power of the alarm switch to get juice to the flashing LED bulb

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I took more pictures, but for some reason, I can't find them.

But this was a HUGE build to say the least, I worked diligently on it since December of last year and am very happy with the out come.

Just in case you hadn't seen the video of the finished product...

http://youtu.be/yVaZCmTTgM0

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Thanks everyone. Always so much fun to share it with you guys.

Way better than the wife saying "That's really nice honey" while she's looking at her phone! :-/ :lol: :thumbsup:

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
You're invested hours in designing and working of this project!!! :yes:
Congratulations for the excellent work!!! :bow:
You have a truly unique and unforgettable boombox!!! :thumbsup:

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Thanks everyone. Always so much fun to share it with you guys.

Way better than the wife saying "That's really nice honey" while she's looking at her phone! :-/ :lol: :thumbsup:
I suspect the woman folk don't have the same enthusiasm for boomboxes as we normal people do!
After I finished building my V2 DIY box, I brought it out to show my wife Jenny - her response - 'I wondered why my car was covered in saw dust'!! :-)

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
goodman said:
You're invested hours in designing and working of this project!!! :yes:
Congratulations for the excellent work!!! :bow:
You have a truly unique and unforgettable boombox!!! :thumbsup:
Thank you Goodman :-D

jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
I suspect the woman folk don't have the same enthusiasm for boomboxes as we normal people do!
After I finished building my V2 DIY box, I brought it out to show my wife Jenny - her response - 'I wondered why my car was covered in saw dust'!! :-)
Oh they have a way don't they :lol: :hmmm: :thumbsdown:

MrMcBlaster said:
Incredible work !!
Thanks MMB

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I like the idea that you made a small power PCB to hook all your power to. What a chore to get all the lights to give the effect you wanted. It takes long enough just to get some VU LED's to look proper. Good job.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
blu_fuz said:
I like the idea that you made a small power PCB to hook all your power to. What a chore to get all the lights to give the effect you wanted. It takes long enough just to get some VU LED's to look proper. Good job.
Thanks Joe,

Yeah a separate PC board with it's own fuse circuit seems like the way to go. If something happens it's isolated from the whole rest of the radios.

I have been running it all on the shelf for hours and it's not smoking and no hint of flames...SO FAR SO GOOD! :lol: :thumbsup:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
^ that's the only way to test bro! Plug it in and rock it all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.