Photo

How do you add a line in to a Helix-4636?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 goodman

goodman
  • Members
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:09 AM

If you wanna listen music from your phone, have another simple decision.

You must buy GPS navigator with FM transmitter.

Some of middle range navigator's have better transmitter than cheap China's module.

Copy music files to SD card, insert in navigator and play music.

In ebay you can find many good offerts.

I think to buy such GPS navigator for my car...

#32 Smeats

Smeats
  • Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationPerth, Scotland, UK

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

If you have, or can get maybe another boombox worth practicing on, that wouldn't hurt your feelings if you screwed up. I'd suggest building your skills on that. A more readily available and cheaper (price) box.

Like Superduper said, no box is going to be the same, but you may be able to harness some skills to be able to figure it out on this one later.

You'll never learn unless you do the research and try. But you'll feel terrible if you ruin a box you care about.

Hi Trippy! Yeah it's not my favourite, but it looks so cool and I don't want to destroy it!

I've done a few little mods like bypassing a pre amp for a direct line in but I just followed someomes step by step instructions as they had allready done the mod before.  If this box had a seperate tuner board I would be moreconfident I could find where to splice into but as is, it's beyond my (lack of) skills! :blush:

If you wanna listen music from your phone, have another simple decision.

You must buy GPS navigator with FM transmitter.

Some of middle range navigator's have better transmitter than cheap China's module.

Copy music files to SD card, insert in navigator and play music.

In ebay you can find many good offerts.

I think to buy such GPS navigator for my car...

Hi Goodman! I have a Belkin FM transmitter that is very good but I'm looking for a new Sat Nav for this summer anyway so I'll take a look at some that function built in! cheers!! :-)

#33 Smeats

Smeats
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:30 PM

Thanks to superduper :superduper:  and my dad ( a retired tech teacher armed with his oscilloscope) I have successfully added a line in to my big ol' Helix!

Here is the left and right +ve connected to the tape function switch, the wires were crimped and soldered into female spade connectors that happened to be a nice snug fit onto the leafs of the switch!

Attached File  funct sw.jpg   84.3K   42 downloads

at the RCA socket  they are soldered into place and the socket then grounded back to a point on the main PCB

Attached File  conn.jpg   75.71K   34 downloads

here is the socket mounted on the back!

Attached File  skt.jpg   69.17K   44 downloads

It worked very well but I'm not sure about the input level because I had to turn my MP3 player down to around half volume or it was simple too much for the speakers.

Anyhow! so far so good and his sucker is LOUD! ideal for a garage radio! :rock:

Attached File  DSC00201.jpg   113.88K   42 downloads

#34 SLO

SLO
  • Members
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, Southern California

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:18 PM

Thanks to superduper :superduper:  and my dad ( a retired tech teacher armed with his oscilloscope) I have successfully added a line in to my big ol' Helix!

Here is the left and right +ve connected to the tape function switch, the wires were crimped and soldered into female spade connectors that happened to be a nice snug fit onto the leafs of the switch!

attachicon.giffunct sw.jpg

at the RCA socket  they are soldered into place and the socket then grounded back to a point on the main PCB

attachicon.gifconn.jpg

here is the socket mounted on the back!

attachicon.gifskt.jpg

It worked very well but I'm not sure about the input level because I had to turn my MP3 player down to around half volume or it was simple too much for the speakers.

Anyhow! so far so good and his sucker is LOUD! ideal for a garage radio! :rock:

attachicon.gifDSC00201.jpg

Wow you did it! Looks good too  :thumbsup:  Much respect to  :superduper: ,you, and your Dad for pulling together to make it work. Great job guys. Thats what Boomboxery is all about.

#35 trippy1313

trippy1313
  • Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • LocationSeattle-Tacoma, WA

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:40 AM

Way to go!!!! Most my boxes I turn my devices to 3/4 volume to prevent distortion and keep the volume on the box correct. One of the other guys might have more info but that doesn't sound too bad.

Looks great man.

#36 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,169 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

The reason for the saturation is that the output of all these new modern personal devices do not have true "line-out" signals, they have headphone outputs.  The power output and terminal impedance specs differs from the "line" standard.  And since every device is different, they will all behave differently when connected to a circuit expecting line level signals.  Also line level signals were never intended to be attenuable such as you would need with a headphone setup.  Therefore, what this all means is that you really need to tailor the input signal for best sound quality (not loudest output).  Good job by the way, you did it exactly like I would have done, except you didn't use shielded cables but if you aren't hearing any interference, then that's not a problem I guess.

#37 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,099 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:16 AM

Looks easy!

#38 Smeats

Smeats
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:02 PM

Looks easy!

easy when you know where to aim for!  left to my own knowledge of electronics this box would probably been fried by now haha! :dunce:

#39 goodman

goodman
  • Members
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:47 AM

This is good news that you able to resolve the problem.Congrats! :-)

#40 Smeats

Smeats
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:04 PM

This is good news that you able to resolve the problem.Congrats! :-)

thanks goodman! :-)