Helix HX-4700 Custom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Below is a video of my Helix HX-4700. It has taken me almost 3 1/2 months to complete this build and close to 50 hours

http://youtu.be/yVaZCmTTgM0

The modifications to this radio are extensive, with custom made PC Boards to hold the LED's, resistors, fuses, switching and more.

The clock features 24 hour time setting, volt meter / battery gauge and a temperature sensor that is mounted in the bottom of the radio giving the outside temp.

The Bluetooth module can be unplugged and a 1/8 to 1/8 plug wire can be used to tether any MP3 player.

The glowing speaker surrounds have their own power supply and is held in place with Velcro. It has a power switch and sensitivity adjustment.

The factory alarm system was upgraded with a flashing LED light.

The factory tweeters and midrange speakers were upgraded. The woofers are stock.

The decks have been re-belted and are fully functional as is the tuner.

The entire stereo was stripped down, all the electronics were cleaned and repaired as needed.

Speaker grills straightened and repainted semi-gloss black.

The handle was reworked along with the case to eliminate rattles and squeaks.

I will post more pictures and info on this extensive build when I get more time.

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Nice!!

I can tell the song is from a different source or dub-over since the song didn't break during the video edits or change location as you panned. I would love to hear what it really sounds like sometime but yeah, looks sweet! You beat me to it BTW, as I'm still waiting for my Glow-wire kit to arrive from China. I'm getting the purple glow wire kit with voice reactive module for another MOD down the road so kudos for being the first. It's only a matter of time....

Cheers,
Cpl

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
fromNKLwithlove said:
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: AMAZING! Im speechless.. And very nice video too!
Thanks man....many many hours into this radio

blu_fuz said:
Whoooooa dude!
:rock:

JustCruisin said:
Afro-mutha-funkin M-A-N! :afro: professional vid Chris!
Great mod box, I dig it! :breakdance:
Thanks JC

jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
You've stepped it up another level Chris!!
shiat man, that's looks farking awesome!!

Well done,

James.... :-)
Thanks Jimmy, tough to keep up with the bad asses on this site! :-D

JVC Floyd said:
been holding out eh lol.

killer job man!.
Not holding out, just took this long to get it done. Many many late nights in surgery on this one.

I will post a full build thread in the Customization thread soon.

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
Dammit Gordie!! I missed the DIBS on that bad boy by an hour and a half! Lol, I call 2nd DIBS.

WOW Chris! Just ****in WOW!! That radio looks soooo good man. It's mods like these that get me pumped up to dive into these boomboxes and learn repair and restoration. So far I'm self taught. That thing looks BADASS! AMAZING job my brother, just Amazing.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
systemaddict said:
That's fkn awesome Chris I'm blown away :jawdrop: I wish I had the knowledge to do something of that magnitude. Hats off to you on a truly amazing modification :thumbsup:
Thanks S.A. Many late nights on this one. I haven't been posting any new purchases or projects, because this has eaten all of my time and effort.

nz boom said:
nice one chris :thumbsup:
Thanks Bro

gsbadbmr said:
DIBS :lol:

Beautiful job man...you ROCK! :chris920:
Thanks Gordie...I guess we need to do up your 4700

I have to also thank Norm (SuperDuper) and John (Beosystem10) for talking me through some technical questions, struggles and brick walls I hit through this build.

I had to learn the relationships between LED's and resistors and the math involved with that. I created boards to hold the LED bulbs and added 30 feet of wire. The hardest part was finding places for the lighting to go, to get the effect I wanted.

The goal was to back light all the controls and make it look as if it was a factory design.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
SLO said:
Dammit Gordie!! I missed the DIBS on that bad boy by an hour and a half! Lol, I call 2nd DIBS.

WOW Chris! Just farkin WOW!! That radio looks soooo good man. It's mods like these that get me pumped up to dive into these boomboxes and learn repair and restoration. So far I'm self taught. That thing looks BADASS! AMAZING job my brother, just Amazing.
Thanks Steve, We're gonna have to have a night meet :lol: Hollywood Blvd :w00t:

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
Chris, your factory design looks awesome.. In my eyes, it's perfect.. Nothing I would change about it! :breakdance:

Your vid could get really popular if you put the musical artist in the title, Afroman is infamous right now with his "fan-slapping" vid! :lol:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
JustCruisin said:
Chris, your factory design looks awesome.. In my eyes, it's perfect.. Nothing I would change about it! :breakdance:

Your vid could get really popular if you put the musical artist in the title, Afroman is infamous right now with his "fan-slapping" vid! :lol:
Thanks JC. I'm very proud of the out come on this project.

Smart move on tagging with Afroman. I revised my video meta tags and title to include his name

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
I love going out a night with a C-100 or J1 Jumbo...But Chris's new FrankenHelix....THAT's what i'm talkin' bout right there!

***BTW I never got that 4700 :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.