My 2nd SONY CFS-88S ** Project Better SOUND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Hey MOD freaks & Boombox Fanatics!!!

I bought a SONY CFS-88S, my 2nd, from Lopez, AKA Miguel1Love of Ebay for 100 bucks plus shipping. He tried to get the deck working but it has a few issues but the Line In & Radio work fine. I used a Jeweller's screw driver & fine tuned the variable capacitor for the FM & now it gets more stations in & is a bit clearer than when I got it. As always, Lopez packed it quite well & the shipping time was about average being I live in Canada.

As most members here may know the 88S looks amazing with brushed aluminum face, smooth elegent controls & a sweet tuner window featuring GIANT VU meters that I love. I was always a VU junkie & will choose a box with VU's over LED meters anyday, unless it's a C-100 which have both...

Anyways, my first phase of MODs will be all about improving the sound first. As some who own this radio know, the speaker cabs are quite shallow & lack a lot of warmth in the mid-bass/bass area & the tweeters are quite harsh in the mid-range section leaving much to be desired, as far as sound is concerned.

Enter Parts Express & their amazing selection of raw drivers. First, I wrangled me some GRS 8" woofers, which perform quite well in a small 0,8 cu-ft. enclosure & still goes dwon to about 40Hz & shoe horned them into the tight little cabinets to see how they would sound.

Take a look:

As you can see here, I had to drill a hole to vent the back pole piece of the woofer's magnet & they just barely fit into the cabinet. The results look quite clean & the holes match up perfectly.

I used deadmat sound treatment for the cabinet & left the rear vent slits open since the woofer was in a very small 0.23cu ft cabinet. The bass won't be super deep but midbass/bass should be much warmer than the stiff SONY woofers that were stock.

Now, I still have the original tweeters installed for the sound tests below & for a first run, I am quite happy. The only complaint I have now, is the tweeters @ 4 OHMS is quite bright & too strong in the upper midrange despite the high crossover point @ 18000Hz(2.2uf - 6db/oct.) which does not mate well with the woofers which have a lower efficiency in the low-mid to mid range....

Still way better than stock sound already so I'm excited to work on it some more...

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICLZ2rd0e-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma9Ftu5z-J0

Next job is to replace the tweeters with some modern domes & tweak the crossover points with some good Polyester film caps which, to my ears, sound much better & more detailed than cheap electrolytics....

Cheers,
Cpl

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
UPDATE: stage 2 ** I finally got the Dayton Audio tweeters in & they are nice & small with a very shallow depth so that they will clear the cones of the woofers with ease. Here they are in their boxes:

Here's a side view. They are a very modest 5/8" deep which makes them very compatible with a wide range of mounting options:

They are 6 OHM & have a 90db sensitivity & should have a smoother sound overall vs. the cone tweeters that were stock. Now I have to tear the speakers apart & install them. I'm going to try a 8000Hz crossover(3.3uF) first to see if that matches up well enough & go from there. Once I'm happy overall with the sound, then it's time to make her look unique & stand out from the rest.

Stay tuned....

Cpl

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
OK, right speakers done & after some experimentation with crossover points I decided to go with the 2.2uF caps which seemed the most balanced to my ears. I also took a small brush & painted the double bars a nice 'Hemi' orange. Now to finish the left speaker. Here's a pic:

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
Cpl-Chronic said:
OK, right speakers done & after some experimentation with crossover points I decided to go with the 2.2uF caps which seemed the most balanced to my ears. I also took a small brush & painted the double bars a nice 'Hemi' orange. Now to finish the left speaker. Here's a pic:

Nice! The HEMI orange brings out the design, lookin good man :bow:

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Thanx SLO! :-D

Yeah, been at it last night to finish the detailing & speakers for the left side & now it's all buttoned back up & waiting for the vids to upload as I write this.

In the pics below you can see the deadmat treatment I used to deaden the cabinet to prevent resonances, while leaving the fins open & fit this ginormous GRS 8" woofer into each box.

One thing is for sure. This beast POUNDS out the trance like an MDMA whore on payday....

Stay tuned.....

Cpl :afro: :rock:

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Ok, here it is all finished up & pounding out some high energy trance for your listening enjoyment. The source is my computer with no boost or cut applied to the input signal. The bass & treble are both at +8 & volume at 5. The sound is even more detailed & the transients are very clean & I'm pretty happy with the setup as it is & the only thing I would change is the caps to a Polyester film type but will keep the same values @ 2.2uF, which at 6 OHMS equals a 12000Hz crossover point & a 6db rolloff....So far with all types of music, the sound is quite good, especially for a ghetto-blaster....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UICSRR_g9oE

Cpl

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Well, learned something today that unfortunately took all of my efforts backwards. NEVER, ever try to pry off the brushed aluminum faceplate. Apparently, SONY decided to use strong glue to hold it in place & once I tried prying it off, it bent & I tried to straighten it out & only managed to pit it, ding it & make it look pretty banged up...

On with the MOD but this one is not my best work. Live & learn & if it was easy, more would do it so it's not surprising if some MODs don't go as planned...

Stay tuned

Cpl

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Cpl-Chronic said:
Well, learned something today that unfortunately took all of my efforts backwards. NEVER, ever try to pry off the brushed aluminum faceplate. Apparently, SONY decided to use strong glue to hold it in place & once I tried prying it off, it bent & I tried to straighten it out & only managed to pit it, ding it & make it look pretty banged up...

On with the MOD but this one is not my best work. Live & learn & if it was easy, more would do it so it's not surprising if some MODs don't go as planned...

Stay tuned

Cpl
Oh my! That was bad! I never even gently press on them. Very prone to damage and not thick like those on cassette decks or reel to reel. They went cheap here. they are so thin. :sad:

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Thanx SLO! Yeah, I try to post failures too in case anyone can learn from it & avoid catastrophe. I'll be the first to say it was a stupid thing to do. Someone previously had been in there & there were small scratches, dust & fibers inside the VU lenses so I tried to get at them by pulling the face off. I wasn't expecting it to be glued down so tough, since there are tabs along the top & bottom to hold it in, similar to the tabs on a woofer grill. Once I started prying, it bent, so I had to go for broke & hope I could straighten it out. I was also tired & a bit impatient so I didn't take the care I should have when trying to bang it back into shape.... :bang:

Anywho, anyone with a CFS-88S in good working/looking shape & want some PayPal funds, hit me up. I still want to save this project.....The deck doesn't have to be perfect but radio & line in have to work good & the controls have to work good, no static, problems etc.... :blush:

Thanx,
Cpl

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Well, for better or worse, it's all buttoned up now & crankin out some good blues, hip-hop reggae is a bit weak but still sounds very good for a blaster & the detail in the stereo image & flat response to about 80Hz is decent, knowing how truly tiny those cabinets are for 8" cannons.....

I'll have a vid up either today or tomorrow with some familiar tracks you can judge from...

Stay tuned to the Chronic MODS channel.....brought to you by Chronic foundries in partnership with 'SweetLeaf Inspirations'.....

Cpl

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Those VU lights look very cool.

I'm surprised the Sony amp can successively run 8 ohm speakers though - most boomboxes I hook up with 8 ohm speakers seem to struggle to drive them to any sort of volume.

James..... :-)
Yes, you are correct. The volume isn't loud like a C-100 but it can still boogie. The bass is still on the light side but this box suffers the absence of a 'Loudness' switch & most balsters sound so-so with the 'Loudness' off so not surprised it doesn't thump like others do....

Video coming soon...stay tuned...

Cpl

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Uploading videos....please wait.....

In the meantime, I want to say that I think a good 2-way crossover would benefit this setup nicely but the HAF-1392 doesn't have enough gas to push a passive crossove....

Cpl

Status
Not open for further replies.