Vinyl Making a Comeback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
I love vinyl :thumbsup: As good as these newer "digital" DJ's are...there's nothing better than watching a battle set done with vinyl...these are the TRUE DJ's IMO and they have so much skill!

Here's A-Trak from Montreal at 15...trained by my buddy! :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEcaqQBEe58

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
gsbadbmr said:
I love vinyl :thumbsup: As good as these newer "digital" DJ's are...there's nothing better than watching a battle set done with vinyl...these are the TRUE DJ's IMO and they have so much skill!

Here's A-Track from Montreal at 15...trained by my buddy! :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEcaqQBEe58
Daaaaaaaaaamn! :cool:

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
If this is the A-Track that I've heard at the WMC in 2011 than damn!

At 15 with skills like that, a bit cocky but it sells.

Not only throws down on the steels but also works the body & lips to be in sync with the beats and vocals.

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
A-Trak was incredible...my good friend was one of the best in our city...he showed A-Trak lots...then A-Trak soared to the top and won numerous championships...he was king IMO...he was spinning for Kanye West...and his newer DJ'ing sucks :lol:

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
This is true talent from these guys this is just a few that we now know.

There's many out there that are still underground and have not had the chance of getting the props that they deserve.

Glad that I grew up living at the start of all this and to witness how far it has come.

From: Sugarhill Gang, Africa Bambaataa, Grandmaster Flash, DJ Kool Herc, The Winstons, Mantronix, Booker T. & MG's, Jimmy Castor Bunch, Incredible Bongo Band, Paul Hardcastle, James Brown etc...

Let's not forget "Rock Steady Crew" for their contribution in b-boying which helped in this movement

Oh and our beloved Boomboxes!

Alberto

Member (SA)
Jan 3, 2013
Wallingford,Ct. USA
ford93 said:
This is true talent from these guys this is just a few that we now know.

There's many out there that are still underground and have not had the chance of getting the props that they deserve.

Glad that I grew up living at the start of all this and to witness how far it has come.

From: Sugarhill Gang, Africa Bambaataa, Grandmaster Flash, DJ Kool Herc, The Winstons, Mantronix, Booker T. & MG's, Jimmy Castor Bunch, Incredible Bongo Band, Paul Hardcastle, James Brown etc...

Let's not forget "Rock Steady Crew" for their contribution in b-boying which helped in this movement

Oh and our beloved Boomboxes!
Me too!!! :dj-party:

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
I love watching these guys cut it up on the turntables, so dope, especially at a old school hip hop concert, it's just amazing. Never did I even imagine that I would be collecting boomboxes from my past, yet alone have a whole new collection of OG cassette tapes, and vinyl. I got hooked. I'm proud to be part of the past AND part of the comeback!

mancardo

Member (SA)
Jun 8, 2012
Goodyear, AZ U.S.
SLO said:
I love watching these guys cut it up on the turntables, so dope, especially at a old school hip hop concert, it's just amazing. Never did I even imagine that I would be collecting boomboxes from my past, yet alone have a whole new collection of OG cassette tapes, and vinyl. I got hooked. I'm proud to be part of the past AND part of the comeback!
I agree with you SLO... "Never did I even imagine" :thumbsup:

While vinyl is nice the figures linked above tell the real story.

164 Billion streams i.e 164,000,000,000

vs

9 million vinyl sales ie 9.000,000

The story is a joke. Streaming has won. You will never again be able to buy a full range of new vinyl music in any shop.

Assuming streaming payments are 8/10th of a penny streaming generated $1,312,000,000 for artists.

Assuming $20 per album, , and $1.00 per album returned to the artists, (industry standard) vinyl sales generated $9,000,000.

There is no vinyl revival.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
ford93 said:
You never know though! :yes:

As more and more music lovers of all ages learn the acoustics of vinyl they'll appreciate it even more!
I completely agree, the Ditch The Digital Brigade need to prepare for ex-digi enthusiasts creating a Grail List of much sought after albums - so get those albums while you still can!

Status
Not open for further replies.