Why you see lots of sellers for Sharp GF 777 from China?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Okay! I always wonder why we see lots of Sharp GF 777 sellers popping up from China. Does that mean they had lots of buyers of this model in China back in those days?

People from China started to collect them at a point of time?

Just wondering! :hmmm: :'-(

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
one theory --
since it is not likely that they saved SEVERAL HUNDREDS of NIB old stock 777s-
these must be brand new re-makes // copies

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
That would be my guess. With so many expired patents and so many Japanese brands selling off divisions (with naming rights) to conglomerates, it's no surprise. In addition, the Chinese have shown no shame in knocking off popular items knowing that patent holders/creators have no help from their own, and definitely not, the Chinese government.

Ask Apple how that's worked out for them. :-)

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
if so -
then dont be surprised if 500 NIB M90s and 1000 disco-lites suddenly appear .....

and big conions galore

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
I don't think these are remakes at all..."maybe" some of the original cardboard boxes but that's it. The Oriental people don't hoard boxes like the rest of us in the world which is why we have seen/are seeing so many of them for sale :lol: :-D :thumbsup:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
gordie --so you think the chinese consumers bought these as new --way back then ?
and then held them for these past 35 years ??
to sell them now ?

maybe - just does not seem possible to me

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
It is well known that reverse engineering is pervasive across Asia...and it is exercised with great vigor.

The technology is far advanced enough that it's not what it used to be when fakes or remakes were as obvious as a rainy day. But then the same could be said for drag queens... :lol:

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
redbenjoe said:
gordie --so you think the chinese consumers bought these as new --way back then ?
and then held them for these past 35 years ??
to sell them now ?

maybe - just does not seem possible to me
If i can find close to 100 C-100's (Clairtone 7980's) by myself, alone, locally throughout the years...i think what we see on e-Bay is possible. Just think..."If" you guys didn't know me...then you started seeing me listing all my C-100's weekly on e-Bay...people would probably wonder the same thing, and i'm telling you that aint gonna happen anytime soon :lol:

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
A simple disassembly would prove it yes or no.....They wouldn't copy every single thing, down to the script printed on the caps. Why bother, when there were practically no consequences if discovered.

I think the only reason China has so many is because, maybe they were used as the final assembly area, OR they were used as a warranty return center.

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
i am 100% positive that these are not copied,and never were..origionally they were assembled in japan,then it was moved to china,thats the only reason some are labled "made in china" if someone said to me that the crown Sz5100 was copied,i could beleive that because of its simple build and almost nothing inside,i would guess that would be quite easy for china,but Sharp 777 with the mass of innards,No Way !!
although, if any were to copy a 777 or m90,or conion,i'll back them all the way,i would love that..but unfortunately it never happened and never will..

vladi123456

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Texas
I also think those are original. Maybe Sharp dumped their remaining 777s in China at super low prices - to clear the stock and all. Plus China has like 10 billion people, ha! So we don't see all that many - only a few per week, so it's nothing compared to China's population..

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't think they are remakes or copies of the original 777. The original labels still hanging on them show discoloration and age.
In the 80s Malaysia and China might have got a good supply of 777.

in 1980s travelling through Europe, Gulf or Africa I haven't seen them in duty free shops. I've seen mid size Panasonics, Akai and JVC.

Attachments

TW5

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
Electronics was crazy back in the day in Asia
even more so then in north america
they were all over the place in malls and shops
and knock off cassettes copies everywhere
it dose not surprise me there many gf-777's there.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
ok - then any scenario is possible -
but need to add .....that my own good experiences ( as an importer ) in business with some capable and talented
chinese manufacturers is that they are happy and willing to replicate ANYTHING --and nothing down to the smallest
details are difficult for them - and nothing is too complicated

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yeah......but look at the other Sharp models that guy sells.....9191, 9292, 9494, 666, etc......I can't see China bothering to replicate small-time boxes like that. Some of those weren't even very popular.

That guy sells mostly Sharp.....That's not just a coincidence. It's probably because Sharp had an assembly plant there. Think about it, it would have been impossible for Japan to manufacture AND assemble all the crap they claimed to make back then. Cars, toys, electronics, come on...... Not in such a small island nation that's smaller than California. I'm pretty sure they outsourced a lot of their production to other Asian nations without telling the consumer. Why not, who would have stopped them?

Either that or it was a warranty return center. Clean up the good ones, sell them to 2nd tier department stores, sell the rest to street vendors, or just lock them away in a warehouse if you can't figure out how to dispose of them.

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
I have experience and a contact in China. I had some molds made for an invention of mine and i had the molds made in China...i asked the person that i was dealing with about the possibility of making replica's of certain boomboxes and the answer was "YES" it can be done...but they told me it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle and $$$ to invest...and i kinda have to agree :yes:...it doesn't mean it won't happen...but i think someone would have already tried doing this by now :-D

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
having studied all these posts --lemme back down and agree that you guys are probably right ,,,

it does take a huge quantity prediction to entice the chinese to get $$ motivated-
if they could sell 5000 NIB M90 re-makes at US$500 ( retail ) ... worldwide --it could be a GO

but at just 1000 ....maybe not worth it
and imho ...1000 would be alot --the box collector market is very alive -- but not that big

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
If the Chinese were willing to make a repo GF-777, who here would honestly want an 'exact' replica that sounds just like the original?

And what Chinese investor would throw big money into making quality twin tape decks when most people (even collectors) would rarely use them?

Maybe the Chinese could make a copy of the outer casing but include extremely efficient modern D class amps and decent quality speakers to enable the 'repo' 777 to sound good.

Ditch the 10 D cells setup for a removeable Lithium Polymer rechargable battery!

I'd buy one of those!

James.... :-)

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
If the Chinese were willing to make a repo GF-777, who here would honestly want an 'exact' replica that sounds just like the original?

And what Chinese investor would throw big money into making quality twin tape decks when most people (even collectors) would rarely use them?

Maybe the Chinese could make a copy of the outer casing but include extremely efficient modern D class amps and decent quality speakers to enable the 'repo' 777 to sound good.

Ditch the 10 D cells setup for a removeable Lithium Polymer rechargable battery!

I'd buy one of those!

James.... :-)
---------------------------
so would i :drool:

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
And me,so that 3 sold already,now,anyone know a chinese contact to get things started lol..maybe have a pre-order system..even if they could make a Crown 5100 but better quality,then again there is already the Lasonic 931

Status
Not open for further replies.