Status
Not open for further replies.

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
IMG_2157.JPG

GE 5258a

So I am working on this unit, great features, looks, and decent sound, but the tape deck needs help. It is nearly identical to its bigger brother the "blockbuster" 5259a and I have had luck repairing those. It has been cleaned and rebelted. It now rewinds and fast forwards. It wants to play, the head rises, but not quite high enough for the pinch roller to make contact with the capstan. Now this is a soft touch deck, so the head rises through its own power, instead of the power of your finger. One of my blockbusters did this at first but after I pushed the play then stop button a few times it clicked into action and has worked since. Haven't had this luck on the 5258a. Anyone had any experience with this? Its almost there.

Michiel

Member (SA)
Dec 29, 2012
Netherlands
I did repair a scr8 some time ago and the spring that pushes the head assembly up was broken out of its plastic holder. Stupid design flaw. It sits next to the capstan. Not sure this one shares the same deck. It does look like it does. Symptoms were the same.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Nice box, featured in 'The Goonies'. Good luck with the repair.

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
Michiel said:
I did repair a scr8 some time ago and the spring that pushes the head assembly up was broken out of its plastic holder. Stupid design flaw. It sits next to the capstan. Not sure this one shares the same deck. It does look like it does. Symptoms were the same.
There is a spring that seems to be loose down there. Were you able to find a replacement or a remedy for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.