Painting Conion C-100 Clairtone 7980

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
Just wondering...how hard is it to completely take apart a C-100 and remove all the "guts" inside so that i can paint it? Doesn't the chassis come out in 1 big piece with the circuit boards? I want to do a few "custom" color C-100's...but only if it's not a nightmare :lol: . Time won't be an issue...patience though might be the problem for me :lol:

Thanks in advance!

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
I think I've got it perfected now after doing a few, but it's no picnic! Obviously taking it apart is a lot easier than reassembly..
In comparison, I can fully strip down a Blockbuster in 5 minutes, but a C-100 seems like a few hours.. The hardest part getting it back together is threading the Loudness/Stereo/Tape quality switches through the tiny slots.. and the lower deck cassette keys.. Obviously it can be done, just takes some time and a steady hand.. :cool:

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
JustCruisin said:
I think I've got it perfected now after doing a few, but it's no picnic! Obviously taking it apart is a lot easier than reassembly..
In comparison, I can fully strip down a Blockbuster in 5 minutes, but a C-100 seems like a few hours.. The hardest part getting it back together is threading the Loudness/Stereo/Tape quality switches through the tiny slots.. and the lower deck cassette keys.. Obviously it can be done, just takes some time and a steady hand.. :cool:
But does the chassis come out pretty easy with like 4-5screws? Does anyone have pics of the guts removed from a C-100? I'm really curious how hard this will be. I have a beater unit that i will try it out on in case i screw something up :lol: If i can do it i will probably paint quite a few of them :thumbsup:

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
JustCruisin said:
Yeah it's like 4-5 screws holding the chassis in.. After you get the first one stripped, then it's easier on the next one..
image.jpg
:thumbsup:

Thanks! I will try it on a beater C-100 and see how it goes...the good thing is that i have other C-100's that i can use as a reference for putting back wires in the proper places if i screw up...i'll just make sure to have another one opened up :thumbsup:

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
gsbadbmr said:
:thumbsup:

Thanks! I will try it on a beater C-100 and see how it goes...the good thing is that i have other C-100's that i can use as a reference for putting back wires in the proper places if i screw up...i'll just make sure to have another one opened up :thumbsup:
That was exactly my thought process as well.. But, I found out the hard way that the Korean version is totally different on the inside..

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
JustCruisin said:
That was exactly my thought process as well.. But, I found out the hard way that the Korean version is totally different on the inside..
:lol:

I'll make sure to open up the EXACT same box when i start...the project will start in mid January after the holidays, and i'll post all the "F@ck's and Sh@ts" as i go through the frustrating process :lol:

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Question about painting these - do you use something to strip the original paint off first? I was thinking of repainting mine (same color) but am worried that I'll lose that nice looking sharpness on corners, edges and embossed text. This box has unusually sharp corners in some places, like around the tweeter frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.