JVC RC-M71

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadood

Member (SA)
Dec 5, 2014
Michigan
Hey all. I picked up this M71 just because I have always wanted one growing up in the 80's I have been surfing the web looking for help with a couple things wrong with the box. I didn't realize what an awesome following vintage boomboxes have and that is what has lead me here! I found this forum and have been browsing around and reading articles that pertain to me and my box.

So here are a couple questions that I hope somebody can help me with.

1. Cassette deck doesn't work. I push play/ff/rw and get nothing. When I press play after about 3 seconds I hear a click but no movement from the motors.

2. Treble slider does not have any effect on the sound. I think I read somewhere on the forum that these sliders have a history of going bad?

I have already taken it apart to do a light cleaning and inspection. I plan on deoxit in the near future. Any help would be appreciated or just lead me to post were these may have been covered already in case I overlooked them.

Over all this machine sounds amazing! It has taken me 30 years to get one and for $50 I am not disappointed!

Attachments

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Welcome to the site and congrats on your $50 M71! Hopefully you can get it sorted out.

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Hi There and Welcome to the greatest boombox site on earth!!!
Congrats on the M-71, these are pretty rare compared to the uber common silver M-70 model!!!
PM Superduper About your Sliders.
At one point in time he offered a repair service on the slider board for this model. He rebuilt mine and it works
flawlessly.
So far as the deck is concerned New Belts are probably in order if they have not been replaced as of yet.
I have an M-71 and am pretty proud of it. My deck doesnt work either and I have yet to get to the bottom of it.
Plays but I cannot get the rew or ffwd buttons to depress.
Here is mine
View attachment 13852

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Yep sounds like belts and slider repair or replacement. I had a dodgy volume slider on one of my M70's...it was repaired using conductive paint. In the end I got a replacement one as the right and left volume levels didn't quite match at the same point on the dial and it always bugged me. You could use this method on the treble more effectively maybe? Or just replace it...not too hard to do. Welcome to the forum!!! :-)

dadood

Member (SA)
Dec 5, 2014
Michigan
Thanks for all the reply's and welcomes! Man all of your boxes look brand new, I hope to get mine as nice over time.

hemiguy2006 Very nice! Question for you. Are the lights on your tuner bar and levels custom? The lights on my box only stay on while I hold the light button down and there aren't any lights behind the levels.

As far as the cassette deck goes. When I opened it up I looked at the belts (sorta) and noticed the larger one intact I didn't look for the second one I don't know where its at. I thought that I would hear a motor spinning freely or attempting to spin something whether the belts were good or bad but there isn't any movement at all. I just did a simple tear apart of the box so that I could clean the front/back/sliders.

Northerner said:
Thanks Northerner I seen the post you linked earlier and was planning on referencing it when the time comes to dig in there. When I get the deoxit I will do a more thorough disassemble of the 'guts' and look around. At that point I will also look at the slider board and hopefully be able to repair it.

Thanks again for the positive feedback all. I'll be around!

Status
Not open for further replies.