GE 5259 replacement speaker candidate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
I'm not the best source, as I'be only been recently reading up on speakers. But they look like great specs to me. I might just buy some at that price! The only thing I see is maybe if it had a higher sensitivity rating. But 88db seems pretty good I think.

Hopefully someone that knows more than than me can help.

That's a great price though.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Those speakers don't look like a suitable choice for a low powered device like a Boombox. 4 ohm and 88db sensitivity will make your GE quieter than before the mod. Those $4.88 speakers really need at least 10-15 watts RMS per channel to drive them properly.

3.2 ohm speakers are hard to find. I'd be looking for a 4 ohm speaker with around 92+ db sensitivity (that 4 db difference makes a huge difference to the 'loudness' of a speaker). Even though they're only for a Boombox, IMHO I'd also be looking for a better quality speaker.
It's up to you how strong/nice you want your GE to sound.

Are there any clearance issues for upgraded (bigger) speaker magnets?

Good luck,

James.... :-)

Reactions: jasonj8470

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
I wouldn't be too worried about the power handling rating of the speaker. You need to be more interested with the ratings that determine what the speaker does with the power supplied to it. You need low ohms and high sensitivity. You can tell from the original speakers 5.5 watt max input how little power that box is producing (probably only between 3-5 watts per channel @ 3.2 ohms - and that was when the box was new. That power rating will go down too into a 4 ohm speaker.

You also need to check the frequency range of the speaker to ensure it can operate well in a two way setup with no crossover that removes the highs going to the woofer.

Some drivers are more suited to a three way setup where a mid driver takes up the mid frequencies that some bass drivers can't produce well or at all.

I can't really recommend a modern speaker without knowing the space limitations inside that box. One old school speaker I can recommend are the drivers from a Sanyo M9998K - slightly lower 3 ohms, big chrome caps and that typical bassy Sanyo sound - well suited for a low power application.

James...... :-)

View attachment 13596

View attachment 13597

Reactions: jasonj8470

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
I measured up last night. Plenty of room in there to accommodate bigger magnets. The ge speakers aren't exactly round, and some creativity may be required to get them to fit under the tweeters, but I think it could be done.

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
I wouldn't be too worried about the power handling rating of the speaker. You need to be more interested with the ratings that determine what the speaker does with the power supplied to it. You need low ohms and high sensitivity. You can tell from the original speakers 5.5 watt max input how little power that box is producing (probably only between 3-5 watts per channel @ 3.2 ohms - and that was when the box was new. That power rating will go down too into a 4 ohm speaker.

You also need to check the frequency range of the speaker to ensure it can operate well in a two way setup with no crossover that removes the highs going to the woofer.

Some drivers are more suited to a three way setup where a mid driver takes up the mid frequencies that some bass drivers can't produce well or at all.

I can't really recommend a modern speaker without knowing the space limitations inside that box. One old school speaker I can recommend are the drivers from a Sanyo M9998K - slightly lower 3 ohms, big chrome caps and that typical bassy Sanyo sound - well suited for a low power application.

James...... :-)

image.jpg

image.jpg
thanks for the recommendation! does that mean those speakers are for sale? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.