6 replies to this topic

#1 Cpl-Chronic

Cpl-Chronic
  • Members
  • 1,890 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:43 AM

Hey all, 

I am working on a TPR-990 & the radio/line in works ok.  The radio sounds good & powerful, no issues but the deck is dead.  The flywheel motor is fine & you can hear it clicking but the carriage is stuck, almost engaged but, not quite enough to start the wheels turning, so to speak.  If I lift the carriage the last 2-3mm to engage the pinch-roller to the flywheel pin, everything starts moving & I bet I could hear the tape if I could fit one in there.  The Play LED & Pause LED are lit & I hear a click, every few seconds like something wants to engage or release, etc.

Plus, all of the buttons for the cassette on the front are stiff, as if they can't move at all....even pause & stop....

Any ideas?

Cpl

#2 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:57 AM

i would try turning the flywheels until  the heads drop down this resets the gears and the head position , also make sure the belts are tight enough that theres no slipping.

#3 Cpl-Chronic

Cpl-Chronic
  • Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:38 AM

Cool....I could try that.  What about the motor for the carriage,e tc.  The belt for the flywheel & that motor is fine.  All spinning normally, no rubbing.  It's the 2nd motor& gears for the carriage, I am wondering about & the tape keys seem locked solid too.....can't eject the cassette door...Play & Pause LEDs are lit....

Cpl

#4 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:41 AM

i would try just moving the assembly by hand if possible , if theres flywheels or gears instead of belts in the second motor then if the belts went out could have bound up the mech or got things spun out of alignment , you can check for power at the motor just to be sure its working .

#5 Cpl-Chronic

Cpl-Chronic
  • Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:58 PM

OK,  yeah, I could move the plastic pulleys at the carrage motor & the heads are almost engaged but that's it.  Belts for the carriage mech are on & in-tact.  I have a feeling the controls are jammed somehow & this is way, way beyond my skillset.

I'm gonna take it back to my guru who told me it was a simple fix of the flywheel motor but obviously, now that I've got that fixed, there's more to it.

Thanx Floyd for trying to help me out.

Cpl

#6 monchito

monchito
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,599 posts
  • Locationpythonville florida

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:05 PM

Ok fyi these 990 have 2 fusible resistors on the board one for the main motor the other for the logic motor. I have the 990 and had the same problem I ordered the fusible resistors though mouser electronics make sure you get the half watt ones its under a lot of load so a smaller 1/4 watt will burn up right away. These resistors will be found toward the top right hand section of the mainboard where the switches are. The tpr 968 also has those to.. I believe they are of 1 ohm I have to look to make sure if that's the correct one :-)  :-)

#7 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,801 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:21 AM

"can't eject the cassette door...Play & Pause LEDs are lit"!!!!!!!!!

That could be because of what monchito is talking about.

It is getting enough  kick to lock the mechanism. Even if you manually make it happen the next time it won't work.

I have seen problems like that on my boombox tape decks. Can't remember which one because I have so many. :-D