• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#151 Dbzerk

Dbzerk
  • Members (SA)
  • 303 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:23 PM

Hey Caution, just a question about your re-capping. Did you glue down the new caps, the ones that were previously glued onto the board?
In the process of doing my recap..

#152 caution

caution
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:31 PM

Can you give me the formula for the treatment you apply and if there is any trick in how to apply it? I can see most of the ingedients in the photo, but I can't see them all and I don't know about how much of each chemical. I live in Florida and we got plenty of sun. 

You need a bottle of "40 volume" hair bleaching cream. In the unlikely event you can't find the cream version you can add a thickener like guar gum, xanthan gum or arrowroot. Paint it over the entire piece and cover with clear plastic wrap to avoid drying out, and set in the sun for a while.  It's common to accelerate the process with a dash of Oxi Clean, but I'd skip that. 40 volume's hydrogen peroxide concentration of 12% is plenty strong enough as-is. You risk over-processing the plastic, which causes this pattern of white marks where the plastic originally flowed during casting, which is irreversible. A ton of info on blogs is out there from others' experiences, whitening everything from action figures to game consoles to sneakers.

Hey Caution, just a question about your re-capping. Did you glue down the new caps, the ones that were previously glued onto the board?

Yeah I glued the five big ones on the amp board but it's not a big deal if you don't.

#153 donahuest

donahuest
  • Members (SA)
  • 111 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:42 AM

Amazing. It seems everyone on here is great at working on these old boxes. I find it very intimidating to start to work on these as I am just starting out and don’t have an electronics background. I guess you just have to get in there and do it eh? Anyone k ow of any basic electronic courses or any course specific to fixing old boomboxes?

#154 harry.stone1111

harry.stone1111
  • Members (SA)
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:47 PM

Can you give me the formula for the treatment you apply and if there is any trick in how to apply it? I can see most of the ingedients in the photo, but I can't see them all and I don't know about how much of each chemical. I live in Florida and we got plenty of sun. 

You need a bottle of "40 volume" hair bleaching cream. In the unlikely event you can't find the cream version you can add a thickener like guar gum, xanthan gum or arrowroot. Paint it over the entire piece and cover with clear plastic wrap to avoid drying out, and set in the sun for a while.  It's common to accelerate the process with a dash of Oxi Clean, but I'd skip that. 40 volume's hydrogen peroxide concentration of 12% is plenty strong enough as-is. You risk over-processing the plastic, which causes this pattern of white marks where the plastic originally flowed during casting, which is irreversible. A ton of info on blogs is out there from others' experiences, whitening everything from action figures to game consoles to sneakers.

Yeah I glued the five big ones on the amp board but it's not a big deal if you don't.

Thanks for the  info, my friend. I think I'm officially scared to do it. It might be green, but it still looks pretty good. 

#155 Bloodhound

Bloodhound
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:01 AM

Just got reading this thread from start to finish. Fantastic work caution. You've set the bar with your dedication, thoroughness and attention to detail. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

#156 Stuzy

Stuzy
  • Members (SA)
  • 116 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:18 PM

:rock:  :thumbsup: