Battery mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worx

Member (SA)
Oct 20, 2014
I picked up a Digital Sound Lab WKC-9640 the past week, and i love it, but the battery life it pretty abysmal. Are there mods out there to add a rechargeable battery to a box, maybe using a laptop battery? Thank you!

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Cpl-Chronic said:
I think JVC FLOYD uses rechargeable drill batteries that run 18v but not sure how many D cells your blaster takes. 8-D's = 12v, 10-D's = 15v.

Cpl
Not if they're NiMH (or NiCd) rechargeables, their cell potential is 1.2V so ten of them = 12 Volts. Don't let that worry you though but; they're sufficient as they have a much higher capacity than single use cells, so 9.6V from a battery of eight will work just fine. I use the AA adaptors in some boxes, JCB rechargeables don't self-discharge within three years and are only around £6 for two packs of four from eBuyer, the ones in my B&O, which uses six (7.2V). has done a few months so far without a recharge but bear in mind that NiMH cells don't run down progressively in most conditions, they simply work right up to the point where they stop.

Lithium based batteries make more sense, the cell potential of each is 3V so you need half as many. I posted the details of the place that refills the students' laptop batteries for my work, they recently made a pair of 6 Volt tubes to fit inside my JVCs PC-5 or PC-11 but sadly they made them to the tubes' I/D so they're the same size and won't fit inside. :blush: I could just use them that way but the idea was to fit them in the original JVC tubes so they're currently working on making me a pair that are about 0.082" smaller in O/D. These will give the PC-5 - which uses 75 Watts flat out and does actually play flat out without clipping - a battery life of around twelve hours on tape playback, double that on radio or line in sources. The more frugal PC-11 will probably play for days on end running from the new batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.