Fixing a Mystery Ebay Legend

Status
Not open for further replies.

stragulus

Member (SA)
Sep 4, 2014
New York
Hi everybody!

I've been looking for a nice boombox since two months. I've already got a few boxes I scooped up for cheap to start with. A Hitachi TRK-8100. A Hitachi TRK-9100. And the best one so far, a Sharp GF-8989 in a decent state. I'm mostly looking for boxes that look good but are not functioning well, since I like to tinker but I have zero experience in detailing or any sort of cosmetic fixups.

Soo.. last wednesday I was scanning ebay for new buy-me-now listings, and I think found a VERY sweet deal for $80. I wasn't even sure exactly which box it was, other than that it seemed to have all the qualities that would make it very desirable. And it looked familiar. So.. I quickly made up my mind, clicked the buy now button, waited in agonizing anticipation for the confirm button, and BOOM, I got it!

It was only after that moment where I did some quick research and found out what exactly I just bought. It couldn't be, but it was! Needless to say, I was now super-super excited and immediately started worrying that the seller figured out what he just did and wouldn't follow through.

It took another agonizing 24 hours to finally receive the shipping notification. Yes! Omg, now only to hope that they packaged it properly, and how long will it take? Will I get it this weekend already? Will it still be in one piece? Will unicorns and rainbows spill out of the box when I open it? So many questions!

This was yesterday night. This morning, I received a notification that a package was delivered at home. I was also expecting another package, so I didn't think much of it. But.. sure enough, it was The One! Holy speedy delivery batman, that sure was quick! But there is still a workday ahead of me, further testing my patience. Just several hours more and I'll be able to finally rip open the box and see what's in there!

I can't wait to follow up with a whole bunch of pictures of the initial state and all the work I'll be putting into it. A fair warning up ahead: This one's definitely not in the best of state, so there's a reason it was cheap. But..oh well, you'll see!

Attachments

stragulus

Member (SA)
Sep 4, 2014
New York
Yes, it's blood on her hands. It's clearly a feisty box. There will be more pictures real soon now!

And no, it's not a soundesign, yorx, Lloyd's etc etc!

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Aww, cute kitty but aren't white cats mostly deaf, in which case why would that fine looking animal need a boombox at all? Or does Puss associate microwave ovens with food? Clever creatures they are, and secretly they're in charge of the world. I wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.