How to use stereo ins on Panasonic RX-DT680?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antbalsamo

Member (SA)
Oct 2, 2014
Hi, someone recently just handed me a Panasonic RX-DT680. I was hoping to use it for the cassette deck but it doesn't seem to work. Anyways, I don't have any speakers and I saw there are stereo in(red and white line ins) on the back.

I wanted to try playing my vinyl player through the stereo. But there is no button on the the thing to change the input to the stereo ins? Do i need the remote to access it? I'm afraid I don't have it

antbalsamo

Member (SA)
Oct 2, 2014
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Take a closer look at those RCA plugs - they're 'CD out' on that model (no line in).

James
ahhh thank you!! so how would you recommend if i wanted to use the speakers (which are detachable from the boom box) to my vinyl player but my vinyl player has only has a line out

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Try a data CD playing in the CD drawer, plug the record player into the CD outputs on the box, this works on some devices and I'm sure that at least one model from that range is among these. If the cartridge on your record player is a Crystal or a ceramic one, or if say the record player has a built-in preamplifier to provide a line level signal then the level will be correct that way. If the record player has a moving magnet cartridge and no preamp, then the output will be too low for the RCAs on the box and the above won't work.
Does the record player have a separate earth lead with a terminal that is attached to the earth clamp on the amplifier you use with it? If so, then it's almost definitely a magnetic cartridge you have on there and that won't work without an additional preamp or an amplifier with a MM input.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Forget playing vinyl on that Panasonic. Just mod it for playing MP3 via a new set of RCA inputs that tap into the Tape deck circuit - easy mod if you are handy with the tools. There is a thread somewhere here - just do a search.

James.... :-)

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
FM Transmitter, though audio [SIZE=14.4444446563721px]quality [/SIZE]is questionable.

Otherwise, if you can reach to the input terminal of the volume control pot, you can directly connect a Line-out to it. [SIZE=14.4444446563721px]No loss audio-in to any device.[/SIZE]
I have successfully done that with a similar Sony deck.

Mystic Traveller

Member (SA)
Jul 28, 2014
St. Petersburg, Russia - Oxford, GB
Beosystem10 said:
Try a data CD playing in the CD drawer, plug the record player into the CD outputs on the box,
You are absolutely right, John - it does work on Panny 680 - I used to utilize this approach to connect my MP3 player or even a cell phone with MP3s to that boomer.
The only thing you need to constantly "play" your Data CD-R to make it work, to emulate the Line-in on Line-out RCAs.

Best,
Alex

SLiX

Member (SA)
Aug 17, 2015
Thanks for the "CD out" trick with a data CD ! I successfully tested it on my DT680.

With cable from my phone, maximum volume was weak compared to other "native" sources (at least FM). This setup was usable but I was not able to use the full power of the DT680.

So I also tested with a bluetooth receiver and this setup works better. I'm now able to get loud sound.

The quality of the audio output is really good, also with bluetooth receiver (apt-X).

One of the pros of the adapter I used (Advance WTX-500) is that it can be plugged directly into the "CD out" RCAs since it has 2 male RCAs that are perfectly spaced for the DT680.

The bluetooth receiver: http://advance-acoustic.com/en/multimedia-and-wireless/aptx-wireless-receiver/34-wtx-500

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I guess I don't get it. How can it accept incoming signals from the Line Out jacks?

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
The mod to run a new set of RCAs into the tape circuit is pretty easy. No need to wear out the CD player (assuming it works).

If you really want a permanent solution, my suggestion is to try the mod. You won't look back if you do!! :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.