New project, GE 5259a tape repair

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
Hey guys,

I have been looking for one of these boxes, they have a great look and sound pretty good too. I found one in need of work, I have got it all cleaned up and crackle free, now need to get the tape working. The motor spins. Upon disassembly I see there is a belt completely missing. Crap I was hoping to measure that! Does anyone know belt sizes for this beauty ? The only other issue is the ff and rr buttons don't want to stay pressed, not sure if they will once we have a belt in a tape in. Can anyone help me out ? Thanks guys.

Attachments

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
If you can see where it runs, then you can measure it with fine string, which has the advantage of giving you a very accurate figure. Allow for a minimal amount of stretch, so if the run is 8" in total, go for one that has a free circumference around 7&13/16" +0/- 3/16". Try a few from a multipack, it shouldn't be taut like a high banjo string but nor should it be slack like a lineshaft drive belt.

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
Beosystem10 said:
If you can see where it runs, then you can measure it with fine string, which has the advantage of giving you a very accurate figure. Allow for a minimal amount of stretch, so if the run is 8" in total, go for one that has a free circumference around 7&13/16" +0/- 3/16". Try a few from a multipack, it shouldn't be taut like a high banjo string but nor should it be slack like a lineshaft drive belt.
Great idea, I hadn't thought of that thank you sir!

Alberto said:
Belt Size = SCQ 8.2 :yes:
Alberto you are the man thanks!

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
Alberto said:
Also remove the front transport cover and check the Idler tire. They are usually worn and bad. I replaced mine with a green ( HNBR ) o-ring .
I'm not sure what that is. Can you describe what it does?

Alberto

Member (SA)
Jan 3, 2013
Wallingford,Ct. USA
The Idler Wheel presses against ( mates ) and rotates the Take Up Spool. The Capstan and Pinch Roller moves the Tape across the Play Head in one direction and the Take up Spool collects that tape.

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
Alberto said:
Belt Size = SCQ 8.2 :yes:
ok I found a 8.0 on studio sound.com and installed it today. it seems a bit tight, but does work...kinda. when you push play it shuts itself off most of the time, when it does stay on it plays slower than it should. are these symptoms of a belt that is too tight or something else? ff and rw are working. we are close and I am pumped! where did you find the 8.2 size belt?

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
jasatc77 said:
ok I found a 8.0 on studio sound.com and installed it today. it seems a bit tight, but does work...kinda. when you push play it shuts itself off most of the time, when it does stay on it plays slower than it should. are these symptoms of a belt that is too tight or something else? ff and rw are working. we are close and I am pumped! where did you find the 8.2 size belt?
Sounds like it's a little too tight.
Too much belt tension = Resistance = Slow play = Intermittent auto-stop.

I don't think I've ever bought a unit with a fully functional deck... :hmmm:

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
Thanks Superlew, makes sense to me. Is there other places to get belts other than studio sound? they didn't have the 8.3 that was recommended.

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
Ok, while I wait for more belt sizes to be delivered with the hopes of solving the dragging cassette issue, I have installed a new antenna, and am tackling the missing plastic on the cassette door. I am thinking double sided tape to attach the plexiglass since you would be able to see a sloppy glue job right though it. I will keep you updated. I am really starting to like this box, a nice size with good sound. Just need that cassette working better.
IMG_2023.JPGIMG_2025.JPG

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Double sided tape sounds like a plan, but might Velcro tape be even better? That way, you could just pop the window out if, say, you wanted the tape held securely in the door for adjusting azimuth by ear, and unlike double sided tape, velcro wouldn't lose its grip after a few fingerprints and opening cycles had aged it. ;-)

You'd need (ideally) to mill a rebate around the part of the window that has the tape attached in order to allow for the 0.040" thickness of the velcro tapes but as you're starting with fresh plastic this could be done while you're in about at it, the end job would look totally stock from the out. :-)

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Wow! That's a very tidy job. You'd need to be the owner of a similar box - that had its original piece of perspex in that door - to notice the difference and even then it wouldn't offend anyone's eye 'cos it just looks so right. :thumbsup:

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
Beosystem10 said:
Wow! That's a very tidy job. You'd need to be the owner of a similar box - that had its original piece of perspex in that door - to notice the difference and even then it wouldn't offend anyone's eye 'cos it just looks so right. :thumbsup:
Thank you John, I believe the camera has done me some justice but I'll count it as a success!

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
I installed the correct size belt, and it was still playing slow. So I turned up the motor to the correct speed but now it sounds warbly or like its underwater. You really only notice when there is a note that rings out for a while. Anybody have an idea how remedy this? This box is almost perfect :yes: