Panasonic 5410LBS has arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
im_alan_partridge said:
Thats one nice mono, but that handle looks like some one sat on it with a burning hot arse :-D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nowt worse than that burning ring of fire...

Don't try to straighten it in situ, that risks breaking the captives at either end of the cabinet.

Suggestion one:
Remove it gently, slacken off the fittings one thread at a time to avoid stressing the cabinet then clamp the handle between two bits of solid hardwood in a vice and tighten away as far as the wood will let you. if that leaves some bow on it, then you might need to peel off the sleeve and apply heat to the core of the handle to get it completely straight. Take it only as far as cherry red if you do that, or it'll end up either too soft or too brittle to be of any practical use.

Suggestion two:
Ask on the world's premier boombox forum whether anyone has a suitable spare handle that hasn't been used as a perch by the world's fattest parrot, remove the old one as above and fit the new one. I think I'd prefer that way than trying to take a bend out of some thick walled HT tube. :yes:

Alberto

Member (SA)
Jan 3, 2013
Wallingford,Ct. USA
I have straightened / unbent many handles. Put the handle with ends attached on a really good cookie sheet ( one that will not warp with heat ). Set oven at 275 degrees. After around 5 minutes with a dry cloth start checking if the handle is becoming pliable against the straight edge of the cookie sheet. If not keep in oven and check every 1 minute. Once it has reached temperature and it has become pliable enough that you can straighten it, remove from oven and let it cool down at room temperature. I have straightened many LASONIC handles this way.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Alberto's got the goods and skills rockin for that fix!

Heating it up via an oven, boiling water or heat gun will get it straight again.

Good luck, Katsa!

Rock On.

Katsa

Member (SA)
Aug 11, 2014
Houston
Thanks for the tips going to try it but it looks like getting the handle off the box will be the harder part of this! The screws for the handle are buried in the box.

Going to be a pic heavy day and if it all turns out right a pic heavy future post.

Michiel

Member (SA)
Dec 29, 2012
Netherlands
Great repair! Looks great again! Think this is one of the most beautiful mono boxes ever! You found a very good one. No missing knobs or switches at all!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Michiel said:
Great repair! Looks great again! Think this is one of the most beautiful mono boxes ever! You found a very good one. No missing knobs or switches at all!
:agree: and I think that color has allot to do with it. Almost a rose champagne with brushed aluminum everywhere. :drool:

deech

Member (SA)
Jan 11, 2012
Athens Greece
This is a Great National Panasonic - 5410 Katsa :-)
Does this one receive FM Stations?
The Version i have doesnt.(Its the B version).
imggrnat.jpg

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Can you measure the handle I need to know how long it is.
The closest i can come is a Panasonic RX 5025 handle but its a different color.

Status
Not open for further replies.