Hitachi TRK8600 deck help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Been cleaning, servicing and polishing the heck out of the nice Hitachi TRK 8600 I got a week or so ago.

Everything works but the deck! Rebelted it but there is no life to it, nothing spins. It's a logic deck so is beyond me lol

The pause light did come on at one point but that's it. When you press play or ff/rew there's no movement and no voltage to the motor.

Spun the flywheel to reset it.

Checked all the connections and nothing is loose.

Anybody got any ideas?...please

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have one with the same problem! After turning the flywheel everything works and then after closing the back cover and all it works fine. I took it out a month ago and the pause light came on and nothing works on the deck. I left it aside for a better day to work on. So I am with you bro! :-D :yes:

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Ha ha you're no help then lol ;-) :-)

Over on S2G I've had the suggestion of checking the micro switches so I'll check those out first....anyone got other suggestions? Cheers :-)

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Hitachi deck not working (as in motor not responding) usually means broken or dirty reed switches. If you look at the deck in the all-mechanical 8080, that f***ing switch :bang: is at the bottom of the deck. That one's just corroded but the one that allows both decks to run from the same crappy wee motor in the 3D40 had a broken reed so was repaired by soldering a suitably tiny piece of spring steel to the stub of the original. This is a job that tends to show up the shortcomings of electric soldering stations as you need to raise and reduce the temperature before the nylon bush that supports the reeds has a chance to melt. I do them with the smaller of my Irodo irons which is far superior to electric ones - even if they're yellow and say "Antex" on the handle - for the same reason that serious chefs don't use electric hobs. ;-)

These are also a problem on many logic decks, the one in my Technics SA-C05L includes this fault among its repertoire though fortunately, it tends to corrode rather than breaking reeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.