jvc rc-m70 tape deck issues please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
Hey guys just got the m70 I have been dying to try out since it seems like such a favorite of many of you.
It is a handsome box and seemed to be packed up well. However there are issues.
The guy who owned it said everything worked fine including the cassette deck. Not the case however. :sad:
When I switch onto the cassette function there is a high pitched feedback that sends the meters off the chart. turning the volume down to almost nothing stops it. When I press play it starts playing slowly, gets to speed then shuts itself off. I have tried multiple tapes. Any one got any advice? Does this sound like an issue that could develop during shipping? I will commence a thorough cleaning asap as is standard when I get a new box. This one is a little grungy. The sound seems to be pretty good though the line in I hope I can get this girl back into top shape.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hi jasatc77
So many things can cause this problem.

First you need to do the following:

1, Clean all the switch contacts with deoxit, focus on the tape radio function switch more.
2. Make sure to clean the long record switch
3. Clean and demagnetize playback head. Use isopropyl alcohol on a soft cloth or cotton bud for cleaning the head
4. Replace the belts

Members here will have better suggestions.

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
Ok, sounds like a good plan, I am not familiar with demagnetizing the head. I will have to see if I can find a thread here on it . Thanks boombox lover I will keep you guys up to speed on the progress.

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
Update,

After extensive cleaning, the cassette player is working !! :thumbsup: The function switch and the swtich that is activated when you press record were the worst. This baby sounds good! Only problem I am having now is the left speaker is not as powerful, and I have determined the reason is that it does not respond to changes in the bass slider. I am hoping there is a simple connection I can check, but have also think the slider may need to be rebuilt. I am trying to decide if I should completely repaint and restore her or leave her as is battle wounds and all. Either way this little baby is awesome!

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Jeff,

As far as I know it could be a slider failure problem. So, send the audio control board to superduper (Norm).
Norm is the Boombox Guru here! :bow:
If he got time he will refurbish it for you. :yes:

Most of our members knows a lot about M70 box issues. They will have better suggestions. :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.