• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 BMoney

BMoney
  • Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali / Bay Area

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:22 PM

The flywheel. You gotta crank (turn) it to get the heads down.

#32 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,099 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

FOUND IT! haha

Just learning so bear with me :-D .

Well I got my SK-550 pretty much DOA. Just powered up.... sometimes :sadno: . I knew this from the auction though.

So, for some reason everything but the cassette works now :huh: . Loose wire perhaps - I dunno.....

I am getting rewind only on the cassette, The light for the music search #1 is on and the dolby NR light is on.
Also I see a small brown diode looking thing that has electrical tape around it that looks like it pulled out from the board somewhere, so I gotta find where that goes. Pics soon, hopefully.

#33 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,099 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

Here is the little diode thing (located to the right of the cassette deck):

Posted Image

#34 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,167 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:04 AM

That's a capacitor. I can see that it's clearly cracked, probably from excessive flexing. My guess is that the other leg is soldered to a grounding tab on/near the cassette area.

#35 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,099 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:43 AM

Yeah, it is all cracked up and the wire is in a position pointing towards the cassette deck. I did unscrew a ground eye from the bottom right corner of the cassette deck case and can't seem to find it now, so it probably did fall off and is laying in the box somwhere..... Why would they have a capacitor on a ground strap?

#36 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,167 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:46 PM

To shunt RF and EMI interference to ground.

#37 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,801 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:45 PM

Very nice thread from almost 6 years ago! :yes:  :-D

#38 Ghettoboom767

Ghettoboom767
  • Members
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationN.W. Tn.

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

I have 2 SK-559's,one deck works very good except when it auto stops,then you just have to hit stop twice then open it then I just have to click play like twice and away it goes,all works.
But my silver 559 is a different story,some moron tried to repair the deck and put a mound of solder in one place so I'll just get a whole different deck mechanism for it.

Now I have a SK-750 and it is in the no heads go up syndrome. It did work for a while,I spent 2.5 hours yesterday and it at least isn't stuck in spinning flywheel mode.
This deck isn't fun and it's a somewhat abused box but I'm slowly restoring. Sound is great on 750!
But need new belts and a diagram for proper belt routing. Had to use counter belt to replace 1 broken one.
I can get it to FF sometimes but that's about it.

If anyone has a photo of belt routing in 750 let me know.
I think I may have a bad solenoid myself.Will try again when new belts come and routing,I think I can figure it out but would feel better if I knew for sure.

Funny I've fixed SK-71,95 decks but this one seems tougher.

#39 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,801 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:20 PM

I have 2 SK-559's,one deck works very good except when it auto stops,then you just have to hit stop twice then open it then I just have to click play like twice and away it goes,all works.
But my silver 559 is a different story,some moron tried to repair the deck and put a mound of solder in one place so I'll just get a whole different deck mechanism for it.

Now I have a SK-750 and it is in the no heads go up syndrome. It did work for a while,I spent 2.5 hours yesterday and it at least isn't stuck in spinning flywheel mode.
This deck isn't fun and it's a somewhat abused box but I'm slowly restoring. Sound is great on 750!
But need new belts and a diagram for proper belt routing. Had to use counter belt to replace 1 broken one.
I can get it to FF sometimes but that's about it.

If anyone has a photo of belt routing in 750 let me know.
I think I may have a bad solenoid myself.Will try again when new belts come and routing,I think I can figure it out but would feel better if I knew for sure.

Funny I've fixed SK-71,95 decks but this one seems tougher.

You fixed it? :-D  :lol:

Gained lots of experience with those Pioneers..

I have worked on up to 750..in the boombox series.

It is so tricky

#40 Ghettoboom767

Ghettoboom767
  • Members
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationN.W. Tn.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

No not yet,750 I have has been abused. When I get belts I'll tear into it again no test solenoid as heads won't go up and tape light won't function as it won't go into play mode.